Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 12-08-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 12-08-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 12-08-2012

Bruce out to cure goal problem

Missed chances disappoint Hull boss as he seeks to add goals

Steve Bruce: Admits there is a lot to improve upon after shootout win over Rotherham

Hull City boss Steve Bruce is eyeing new additions after seeing his side scrape past Rotherham in the Capital One Cup.
    Aaron McLean equalised after Lionel Ainsworth had scored a brilliant goal to give the League Two side the lead and the Tigers required penalties to see off their battling opponents.
    Bruce watched his side waste a series of glaring openings and believes the squad will need further strengthening before the transfer window closes.

"The disappointing thing about this pre-season is that we have picked up a lot of niggling injuries," he said.
    "We're a bit short in the middle of midfield, but we do have some players to come back."
    "I thought we started off the first half well and should have been at least two up as we had some great chances.
    "The disappointing thing was that we missed those chances.
    Problem

"You can't put a stamp on these things in nine weeks, though. It was clear last season when they scored 40 odd goals but finished eighth that there was a problem with scoring goals.
    "But we have got some good players - a really good, honest bunch - and I know we will be fine.
    "I went into the game with the very open plan to try to open the match up, but some of our players needed that game time.
    "For Abdoulaye Faye, Matty Fryatt and Liam Rosenior, it was almost like a pre-season game.

"There is a lot to improve upon, but we created lots of opportunities and some of our play in the first half was superb.
    "We have had three or four one-on-ones and breakaways where we missed the final pass.
    "Rotherham were big and strong. When you play against one of his (manager Steve Evans') teams, you know have to stand up and be counted."

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 12-08-2012

Cox joins Forest influx

Striker welcomed to City Ground by AL Hasawi

Simon Cox: Making the move to Nottingham Forest from West Brom

Nottingham Forest owner Fawaz Al Hasawi has confirmed the signing of Simon Cox from West Bromwich Albion.
    Sky Sports revealed earlier on Saturday that Forest were set to win the race for the striker and he has now sealed a move to the City Ground.
    A number of other clubs had been interested in the 25-year-old and Al Hasawi is delighted to have added him to Forest's ranks.

"Welcome to Republic of Ireland international striker Simon Cox, who has joined us from West Brom. He is our seventh signing of the summer," he said on Twitter.
    Cox also tweeted his joy at the move and expressed his gratitude to the Baggies for everything they had done for him.

He wrote: "Think I'm all done now. Signed now. Can't wait to get started and exciting times ahead. #nffc.
    "I would like to thank all the fans and players and staff at WBA for my time there loved it. Met some lovely people. Wish u all the best."

Uploads

Wolves stand firm on Jarvis

Solbakken admits club has been unsettled by transfer sagas

Matt Jarvis: Has asked to leave Wolves but will only go for the right price

Wolves manager Stale Solbakken has insisted Matt Jarvis will only be sold if it is right for the club after confirming the winger wants to leave.
    Sky Sports revealed earlier on Saturday that Jarvis had handed in a transfer request, a day after a £9million bid from West Ham had been turned down.

Jarvis missed the Capital One Cup game against Aldershot through sickness and Solbakken admits the whole situation has been disruptive, while he will let the club decide on what happens next.
    Solbakken, who has also seen Steven Fletcher and Christophe Berra ask for transfers, said: "He wants to leave but it has to be right for Wolves.

"At the end of the day I am not making the final decision.
    "We are a little unsettled at the moment and everything is not fine. It is stupid to say everything is fine. We have to fight through this."
    As for the absence of Jarvis, Solbakken added: "This is a true story and you can believe it or not but he is actually sick.
    "He is a good guy in a stressful situation at the moment."
    Relieved

The uncertainty off the pitch is the last thing that Solbakken wants and he admitted he was a relieved man after seeing his side battle past Aldershot.
    But Wolves needed a penalty shoot-out to progress - Jordan Roberts seeing the 14th spot-kick saved by Wolves' goalkeeper Carl Ikeme.
    Wolves had taken a 53rd minute lead through Sylvan-Ebanks Blake only for Michael Rankine to equalise nine minutes later.
    Former Cologne boss Solbakken said: "Some of our stuff was good and some not so good.
    "We struggled to open them up but it was a deserved victory when you count the chances.

"The fans should expect that we are going to be a good team at home.
    "But we lacked penetration in the last third of the pitch.
    "That means that in some periods of the game I was disappointed we didn't create more chances.
    "But if we had kept the 1-0 for another five minutes it could have been two, three or four. But the cup is about going through."

Uploads

Rodwell on City's radar

Everton midfielder understood to be a target for champions

Jack Rodwell: Understood to be a target for Manchester City

Sky Sports understands that Manchester City are eyeing a move for Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell.
    Roberto Mancini admitted earlier this week that he had become frustrated over a lack of transfer activity at the Etihad Stadium this summer.
    He is keen to strengthen his squad before the window slams shut at the end of the month as he believes reinforcements are needed if City are to defend their Premier League title.

They have had a long-term interest in Rodwell and it is understood they are readying a move for the 21-year-old.
    Rodwell has been regarded as one of English football's finest prospects for a few years and has built on that reputation with a series of impressive performances for Everton.
    The Toffees will not want to lose such an important player but could come under pressure to sell if a big offer comes in.

Uploads

RVP will play for Arsenal
    Last Updated: August 12 2012, 10:15 BST

Robin van Persie is expected to feature for Arsenal against Cologne on Sunday as speculation grows that he will retain the captain's armband.

Robin van Persie: Stay at Arsenal could extend into the new season
    The 29-year-old forward's departure from the Emirates Stadium appeared imminent when he refused to sign a new deal with the Gunners earlier this summer.
    Interest from Manchester United remains strong but Van Persie is now set to play his first game since Euro 2012 in an Arsenal shirt before reporting for international duty with Holland.
    New Oranje boss Louis van Gaal has revealed that the player's presence in the Arsenal line-up was essential for him to earn an international call-up.

Louis van Gaal, quoted in the Sunday Mirror, said: "Robin will play his first game this Sunday.
    "He has told me he is at least going to play 45 minutes this weekend. It is a good job, because I almost had not selected him.
    "This is the only time I'll pick Van Persie and Tottenham's Rafael van der Vaart while they are not fit.
    "They have not played a single game yet for their clubs and normally I don't pick players then. In future I will only pick fit players.
    "But van Persie is so important for the Dutch team."

Van Persie's attitude to pre-season training ahead of the new campaign has earned admiration from within the Arsenal set-up.
    With a shortage of alternative candidates, and United unwilling to match the Gunners' valuation, it appears a distinct possibility that Van Persie will retain the captaincy in the short-term.

Uploads

Debuchy keen to leave Lille
    Last Updated: August 12 2012, 8:40 BST

Lille defender Mathieu Debuchy says he still wishes to leave, despite the club insisting that he won't be sold.

Mathieu Debuchy: Still keen to leave Lille
    Chairman Michel Seydoux said earlier this month that the France international will be staying after the Ligue 1 side rejected bids from Newcastle.
    However Debuchy, speaking after Lille's 2-1 win over St Etienne, remained hopeful of an exit from the Grand Stade Lille Métropole.
    "I don't want to talk about my future," he told Canal+. "I heard what the chairman said. The transfer window is open until September 4 (in France). I still want to go. We will see."
    The 26-year-old has made 219 league appearances for Lille since making his professional debut with the club in 2004.

Uploads

Porto still expect Hulk to stay

Hulk: Linked with Chelsea switch
    Porto president Pinto da Costa insists he has not spoken to Hulk's agent about the striker's future, reiterating he will not be allowed to leave for less than his release clause.
    A host of clubs have been linked with the Porto captain, with Chelsea, Real Madrid, Paris St Germain and most recently Zenit St Petersburg all said to be interested.

But da Costa remains defiant and is calm about Hulk's future at the club, insisting he will only sanction his exit if a club is willing to pay his release clause, which stands at a massive €100million.
    "I didn't meet Hulk's agent. Hulk is a player with a buyout fee and if any club want him, they just need to pay that, they don't need to come here," said da Costa.
    "Hulk will only leave if it interests both Porto and the player. But so far nothing happened to make me think we'll reach that point.
    "Therefore, I expect that for this season Hulk will remain a Porto player."

Hulk's agent Teodoro Fonseca told Radio Renascenca that you can never rule out a move.
    "Hulk has a contract, he likes FC Porto, but at the moment everything has a question mark," he said.
    "We sometimes want a player to stay, but the conditions aren't the best. Sometimes clubs have to give up a right, a player, or a person to keep their structure. People come and go, but the clubs stay.
    "Everything is possible in the world of football."

Uploads

Newcastle 'strike Anita deal'
    Last Updated: August 12 2012, 18:37 BST

Newcastle United have reached an agreement with Ajax over Dutch international Vurnon Anita, Sky Sports understands.

Vurnon Anita: Reportedly close to Newcastle move
    The Magpies have been chasing Anita for most of the summer, but whilst they have endured frustration with a number of targets in the past few weeks - they now look to be close to finalising one.

Anita, 23, who can play left-back or in midfield, is now set to make his farewell appearance for Ajax on Sunday - when they open their league campaign against AZ Alkmaar.
    Reports in Holland suggest the deal is around €8million (£6.2million), although the player is yet to finalise terms.
    He is likely to fly to England on Monday to undergo a medical ahead of completing a move to Tyneside.

Uploads

El-Hadji Diouf joins Leeds
    Last Updated: August 11 2012, 19:48 BST

Leeds have signed former Liverpool and Bolton striker El-Hadji Diouf on a non-contract basis.

El Hadji Diouf: Switch to Leeds
    The 31-year-old trained with the club this week and his signing was confirmed ahead of Saturday's 4-0 win over Shrewsbury in the Capital One Cup at Elland Road.
    Diouf has made over 300 appearances in English football after starting his career in France.
    The forward spent nine years in the Barclays Premier League with Liverpool, Bolton, Sunderland, and Blackburn.

He also had a loan spell with Rangers before joining Doncaster in the npower Championship last season.
    Diouf, who has twice been named African Footballer of the Year, made 23 appearances for Doncaster, but could not prevent the Yorkshire side from being relegated from the Championship.
    Manager Neil Warnock said after the win over the Shrews: "He trained with us on Thursday and Friday and I will make a decision on him before next weekend because if I sign him (permanently) I will want him to be involved against Wolves.

"We have no money at the moment so he won't be retiring on the wages we can offer, but he is available on a Bosman transfer and he has genuine quality. He has always been a wild card and we have had our moments in the past, but I met him at a function a few weeks ago, I told him what I disliked about him and how I felt he could improve and it was a good conversation.
    "I also spoke to a few people who know him well and they told me how good he is in the dressing room."

Uploads

Heinze back with Newell's

Defender returns to homeland
    Last Updated: August 12, 2012 5:14pm

Gabriel Heinze: Back in Argentina

Newell's Old Boys have brought another one of their former stars back to the club after sealing a deal for Gabriel Heinze.
    The Rosario-based outfit signed Maxi Rodriguez from Liverpool earlier this summer, and now Heinze has followed him after leaving Roma.
    The 34-year-old has now agreed a one-year deal with the option to extend at the club where he began his illustrious career.

"There was interest from me from several teams but I always had in mind to return to Newell's because it's the place where I started my career, it's like home," he said.
    "I am doing what my heart feels and I am very happy to be back home.
    "I said to the officials of Newell's that they were not going to have any problem with me and it has been that way.

"I have signed a one-year contract, and if after that they want to renew there will not be any problem and if they aren't satisfied, there isn't any problem either."
    After leaving Newell's in 1997, Heinze went on to play for Real Valladolid, Sporting Lisbon, Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester United, Real Madrid, Marseille and Roma.