Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 14-08-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 14-08-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 14-08-2012

Kompany keen on Van Persie

Manchester City captain admits he would welcome RVP arrival
    Last Updated: August 14, 2012 8:24am

Vincent Kompany admits it is easy to want to play alongside Robin van Persie

Vincent Kompany believes the signing of Arsenal forward Robin van Persie would strengthen Manchester City - or any other side.
    The Premier League champions have been heavily linked with a move for the 29-year-old Holland international but face stiff competition from rivals Manchester United.

Van Persie scored 30 league goals last season and Kompany acknowledges that, wherever the player ends up, he would be a welcome addition to the team.
    "It's very easy to say you want to play next to Robin van Persie," Kompany told Sky Sports News as he prepares to face the Dutchman in an international friendly for Belgium on Wednesday evening.
    "He's a great player. He's proved it so many times last season and any team he would play for he'd make it stronger."
    Fit and sharp

The City skipper will line-up alongside one of Van Persie's Arsenal team-mates on Wednesday in Thomas Vermaelen.
    Vermaelen does not feel Van Persie has been affected by the speculation and remains hopeful that his club captain will stay at the Emirates Stadium.
    "To me he looks fit and sharp in training," said Vermaelen.

"He's working hard. He's working on his fitness. I don't see anything (different) and I hope he stays the next four years as well.
    Asked if he thinks that will happen, the 26-year-old added: "I've no idea. I hope so. I don't know what happens behind the scenes but at the moment I can only say he's a player for Arsenal.
    "I feel really positive for the new season. If we all stay fit, the squad is strong enough to compete for the title."

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 14-08-2012

Butland targets big season

Birmingham keeper hoping to make breakthrough at St Andrew's
    Last Updated: August 14, 2012 7:57am

Jack Butland: Wants to play regularly for Birmingham this season

Jack Butland is keen to make a breakthrough at Birmingham this season after revealing his dedication to the club.
    Butland is yet to play a single competitive game for Birmingham despite travelling to Euro 2012 with England and appearing for Team GB at the Olympic Games.

The 19-year-old goalkeeper now looks set to make his full England debut against Italy on Wednesday but his only club appearance comes from 24 games for League Two side Cheltenham Town last season.
    After playing a senior game for Blues at St. Andrew's for the first time in a weekend friendly, Butland is determined to play a full season in the first-team - despite interest from Southampton.
    Butland said: "I've spoken to the manager (Lee Clark) and indicated what I want to do, which is play football.
    Learning

"It's going to be another big season for me to carry on learning and to get a load of games under my belt.
    "That's the target for me and, if I'm fortunate enough to get that chance, I'm going to have to take it and try to play 40-plus games this season.
    "People mention Southampton's interest. That's football. There's always people watching you, no matter who you are or who you're playing for.
    "That's irrelevant to me because I'm a Birmingham City player. I've got to perform for them, try to stay in the team and see what happens.
    "It was a nerve-racking experience for me at the weekend because I hadn't played at St. Andrew's before.
    "I felt that I needed to show the Birmingham fans what I'm about because they've not seen me before. It was important to me."
    Travel

Butland is in no hurry to walk away from Birmingham after working so hard as a schoolboy to make the grade at the club - travelling up from his childhood Bristol home on a regular basis.
    He added: "It was a two and a half hour journey on the train, only one hour 15 minutes in the car, but it was something I didn't want to put on my mum and dad, to have to take me up and down.
    "I would go to school on Monday and straight after school jump on a train for two and a half hours up to Birmingham. I would stay Monday night and train all day Tuesday with (goalkeeper coach) Dave Watson.

"I would go home after training on Tuesday, go to school on Wednesday, back up to training on Wednesday afternoon after school.
    "Then I'd train all day Thursday, go home on Thursday and then get the train back up Birmingham on Friday night to play for the academy sides on a Saturday.
    "I was doing up to 10-12 hours a week sitting on a train to get to training but it was something I needed to do.
    "But I still passed all my GCSEs - two As, six Bs and a C."

Uploads

Reds hopeful on Skrtel deal

Talks ongoing over new deal for defender
    Last Updated: August 13, 2012 10:54pm

Martin Skrtel: Close to agreeing a new deal with Liverpool

Sky Sports understands Liverpool are close to agreeing a new deal with defender Martin Skrtel.
    Skrtel's future at Anfield has been the subject of speculation this summer with the Slovakian claiming he was aware of interest from other club's in his services.

The 27-year-old, who joined Liverpool in January 2008, enjoyed his best season at Anfield last term, winning the club's Player of the Year award.
    Skrtel has two years to run on his current contract, but Reds boss Brendan Rodgers is keen to secure his long-term future.
    Rodgers sees Skrtel as a key member of his future plans on Merseyside and is ready to reward with a new contract.
    Liverpool tied down Luis Suarez down to a long-term contract earlier this month and they hope Skrtel will soon follow suit.

Uploads

Toure happy at Tevez return
    Last Updated: August 14 2012, 7:55 BST

Yaya Toure is happy to welcome Carlos Tevez back into the Manchester City fold.

Tevez: Shone in City's Community Shield win
    City scored 93 times on their way to a first title in 44 years last term, and that was without Tevez for half a season after he went AWOL following his well-publicised spat with Mancini in Munich.
    He looked good at Villa Park on Sunday though.

The impish manner he drove across the Chelsea box, beating David Luiz and John Terry, before changing direction to hammer a right-footed shot beyond Petr Cech was a reminder of his early performances at City.
    For some, the stain on his character from last year's sorry events can never be removed.
    Thankfully for Tevez, his team-mates do not share that view.
    "Of course (the players like him)," said Toure.
    "He is a fantastic guy and a fantastic professional.

"He made a mistake. But the most important thing when you make a mistake you have to apologise. He apologised to everyone.
    "Now he has come back and wants to show he will give everything for the team."
    Toure is confident City will reap the benefits of Tevez's partnership with Sergio Aguero.
    Toure said: "They have played for Argentina before. Now they play for Manchester City.
    "I am sure they will score a lot of goals for the club."

Even without the addition of Robin van Persie, City's striking power is enough to cause Premier League defences huge headaches.
    Edin Dzeko was on the bench at Villa Park, whilst Mario Balotelli, fresh from his outstanding performances at Euro 2012, was in the stand.
    With Toure and Samir Nasri both capable of finding the net, as they did on Sunday, and David Silva being eased back after a late return to pre-season training, the Blues have resources that could see them become the first side to hit a century of goals in a Premier League season.
    "We have some fantastic strikers," said Toure.

"They are so sharp and clever. We put Carlos and Aguero there against Chelsea but it could have been Dzeko or Mario.
    "The most important thing is that no matter what team the boss picks, it plays well."

Uploads

Agger: Future not in my hands
    Last Updated: August 14 2012, 8:38 BST

Liverpool defender Daniel Agger says he "can't imagine" playing for any other club in England but admits his future may be taken out of his hands if a big offer comes in.

Daniel Agger: Thinks his future may be taken out of his hands

5. Daniel Agger

Appearances 4 (0)
    Goals 0
    Assists 0
    Yellows 0
    Reds 0
    *Current Season

Red boss Brendan Rodgers admitted last week that the Reds would likely allow the Denmark international to leave were a "massive bid" to be tabled.
    Agger has two years left on his Anfield contract and is a reported target for Barclays Premier League champions Manchester City, but he is in no hurry to end his time at Liverpool.
    "I'd rather stay," Agger told Danish website politiken.dk. "I can't imagine playing for any other club in England but you never know if the club think it's better to sell.

"I'd rather stay but that decision is not up to me at the moment.
    "Liverpool can do a deal even though I have two years on my contract, but I haven't changed my mind on the subject.
    "Sometimes you can end up in a position where it's not your decision.
    "I don't want to be somewhere I am not wanted but I would prefer if they want me to stay. That is my priority."

Uploads

Welbeck agrees United deal

Striker poised to sign five-year extension
    Last Updated: August 14, 2012 4:29pm

Danny Welbeck: Poised to sign new long-term deal at Old Trafford

Sky Sports understands Manchester United star Danny Welbeck has agreed a new deal at Old Trafford.
    Welbeck's future at United has been the subject of speculation with contract talks dragging on for some time.

The 21-year-old's current contract expires next year and United have been looking to tie him down to a new deal.
    It is believed terms over a lucrative new five-year deal have now been agreed with both parties and Welbeck is set to pledge his long-term future to United.
    Welbeck impressed for United last season, establishing himself in Sir Alex Ferguson's starting XI ahead of the likes of Dimitar Berbatov and Javier Hernandez.

Welbeck broke into the England squad last term and scored the winner against Sweden in this summer's Euro 2012 finals.
    News of Welbeck's new deal will come as a boost to United ahead of the new Premier League season kicking off this weekend.

Uploads

Pennant to stay at Stoke

Winger denies Wigan link and stresses he has no desire to move
    Last Updated: August 14, 2012 3:24pm

Jermaine Pennant: Has dismissed rumours linking him with a move to Wigan

Stoke's Jermaine Pennant is mystified by suggestions he is about to quit the club, insisting he has no plans to leave.
    Pennant was linked with a move to Wigan after the Potters signed fellow right-winger Michael Kightly from Wolves last week.
    But the 29-year-old former Arsenal and Liverpool man claims he has no intention of walking away from the Britannia Stadium this season.
    "The fans might have been wondering if I might be going. I respect the fans a lot and said I would always be honest with them," he said.

"If for one moment I was thinking of packing my bags, then I would tell them straight up but I have never said or indicated that I wanted to leave.
    "The first I knew about the Wigan story was on Twitter when somebody asked if I was going. No-one spoke to me or my agent.
    "I think it was just speculation because we'd just signed Michael Kightly."

Uploads

Fulham planning Stockdale loan

Cottagers want keeper to gain more first-team experience
    Last Updated: August 14, 2012 4:47pm

David Stockdale: Could be sent out on loan by Fulham this season

Fulham intend to loan out goalkeeper David Stockdale this season in order for him to gain more first-team experience, according to goalkeeping coach Hans Segers.

The 26-year-old joined the Cottagers from Darlington four years ago but has seen playing time limited as number two to Mark Schwarzer.
    Stockdale has spent several loan spells away from the West Londoners as a result, including a move to Championship side Ipswich last season.
    He was recalled following an injury to Schwarzer and Segers reveals a similar deal could be in the offing.
    "They have to fight for the number one spot, but to be fair to Mark he's been absolutely outstanding so to replace him will be difficult," Segers told the Fulham Chronicle.

"David's a top keeper and needs to play, so as a club we're looking to get him on loan somewhere where he's playing week in, week out, with a recall clause.
    "That will make him a better goalkeeper because sitting on the bench you don't really learn anything. David can only become better by playing."

Uploads

Wolves look to offload Milijas

Midlanders seeking club for Serbian midfielder
    Last Updated: August 14, 2012 4:30pm

Nenad Milijas: Entering the final year of his contract at Wolves

Wolves manager Stale Solbakken says the Midlanders are willing to listen to offers from other clubs for Serbian midfielder Nenad Milijas.
    The boss has several options at his disposal in central midfield and could offload Milijas, who is entering the final year of his contract.
    Solbakken says Wolves would be prepared to let the 29-year-old go as he seeks regular first-team football.

He told the club's official website: "We're looking to see if he can find a club and he agrees on that.
    "He's been here for a long time and needs to play regularly.
    "For a long time now he just played a few games each season.
    "He's at an age now where he needs to be playing regular football."

Uploads

Espanyol in Simao enquiry

Primera Liga side keen to take Besiktas man back to Spain
    Last Updated: August 14, 2012 1:47pm

Simao Sabrosa: Portuguese playmaker could be set for return to Spain

Espanyol have made a move to sign Simao Sabrosa from Besiktas ahead of the start of the Spanish season, the Turkish club have confirmed.
    Coach Mauricio Pochettino is keen to add to his ranks after seeing several players leave the Blanc i Blau and the former Barca star is on their radar.

Besiktas vice-president Ahmet Kavalci has made Espanyol's official enquiry public, although he also revealed that the Spanish side are not alone.
    "It is true that they have asked about him," the Istanbul outfit's director explained.
    "We have known for a few days about this, although there are also other clubs interested.
    "Any deal should be done within the coming days and, possibly, we will know by the weekend where the Portuguese will go."

Besiktas are keen to sell Simao after coach Samet Aybaba made it clear he was not part of his plans for the new campaign but they have yet to decide what to ask for the player.
    "The club that wants him enough should come forward with a certain amount of money but, as yet, we have not decided how much," added Kavalci.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast