Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 15-08-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 15-08-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 15-08-2012

Lamps wants to finish at Chelsea

Midfielder keen to end career at Stamford Bridge
    Last Updated: August 15, 2012 7:42am

Frank Lampard: Wants to end his career at Stamford Bridge

Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard wants to end his career at Stamford Bridge but is still waiting for contract talks to open as he enters the final year of his current deal.
    Lampard is delighted to be back in the England set-up after missing the Euro 2012 finals through injury and will skipper the side in the friendly international with Italy in Berne.

But at club level the 34-year-old is uncertain what lies ahead even though he feels he can play at the top level "for a few more years".
    Lampard said: "We spoke once last season and it was a case of coming back - and it hasn't come back from their end. I don't know (what will happen).
    "At the minute I'm just playing. I'd like to sit down and speak with them. But at the minute I'm playing and it's up to the club to do that.
    "I would like to end my career there. I feel I can play at the top level for a good few more years, but it's whether the club feels the same.
    Changes

"I know there are a lot of changes at Chelsea. I'd love to be involved, and the youth coming into the squad this year has really freshened up our team.
    "I'd love to carry on but it's a club decision to come and sit down with me.
    "They used to sit down with me three years before the end of my contract! Now I'm waiting."

He added: "People do look at you differently when you get the other side of 30. That's natural. I don't mind that at all.
    "I want to keep myself as fit as possible, to live right, and keep my edge so I know I can keep competing at the top.
    "That's what drives me on. If I don't feel I can do it, I wouldn't be happy playing football anyway."

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 15-08-2012

Van Gaal reveals RVP chat

Oranje boss insists only Gunners striker can decide his future
    Last Updated: August 15, 2012 8:51am

Robin van Persie: Has sought advice from experienced coach Van Gaal

Holland boss Louis van Gaal has revealed he has spoken with Robin van Persie over where his club future lies but insists the decision ultimately comes down to the sought-after striker.
    Speculation continues to surround the Arsenal captain, who is being heavily linked with both Manchester clubs this summer following his revelation he does not intend to sign a new contract at Emirates Stadium.

The 29-year-old has been dropped from Van Gaal's starting line-up for Holland's international friendly with Belgium on Wednesday night and the coach is keen to see him settle his future ahead of the Oranje's impending World Cup qualifiers.
    But the experienced coach knows only Van Persie, who scored 30 league goals last season, can decide where his future lies.
    Advice

Van Gaal told a press conference aired on Sky Sports: "I think the player always has to decide for himself.
    "When he wants he can ask me for advice but then I'll speak to him, not to you."
    He added: "I had the conversation and it was unbelievable. A great and high level, not only at a human side but also in the football vision. It was one of the best meetings I've had with an individual player."

Asked whether it was important, with next month's qualifiers against Turkey and Hungary looming, that Van Persie decided his future sooner rather than later, the former Barcelona boss added: "Yes, of course. But it's for the English clubs, and Arsenal of course, to decide."

Uploads

Sullivan explains Carroll bid

West Ham had lined up 'terribly expensive' deal for Liverpool striker
    Last Updated: August 15, 2012 7:42am

Andy Carroll: Liverpool striker was the 'perfect' player for West Ham manager Sam Allardyce

David Sullivan says West Ham United had agreed a deal with Liverpool for Andy Carroll, but the striker turned down the chance to be the focal point of Sam Allardyce's side.
    Carroll's future at Liverpool has been uncertain following the appointment of Brendan Rodgers as manager and he has been linked with several rival Premier League clubs.

West Ham were among those to show an interest and a season-long loan deal with a view to a permanent 17million transfer had been lined up by the promoted club.
    Sullivan says the proposed deal was 'terribly expensive' for the Hammers, but he was prepared to back Allardyce, who wanted Wolves winger Matt Jarvis to supply the crosses for Carroll.
    Perfect

"I can only talk about this because it has been put in the public domain already," co-owner Sullivan told the Daily Mirror. "My manager wanted Andy Carroll, so we backed him.
    "It was a terribly expensive deal with the loan fee and with his wages, which were enormous - too much for a club like ours. But, as the manager really wanted him, we were prepared to pay it."
    David Sullivan Quotes of the week

"Andy was the perfect player for him and the style of football we play.

"We play a lot of high balls, a lot of crosses - quite exciting football, not just humping it but clever crossing - and Sam wanted Jarvis to supply the crosses because he is a fantastic crosser.
    "We had a deal in place with Liverpool to borrow the player which automatically became a purchase if we stayed up.
    "We hoped, as he had the same agent as our manager - a man we had done a lot of business with - and he was very friendly with Kevin Nolan, our captain, that Andy would want to come.

"It was a terribly expensive deal with the loan fee and with his wages, which were enormous - too much for a club like ours. But, as the manager really wanted him, we were prepared to pay it.
    "But he really wants to stay at Liverpool. He believes that he will get back into the side by his performances - coming off the bench or for the reserves. He believes the manager will have to put him back in the side. But it's wrong to discuss what is in his mind. Only he knows that."
    The England international is reported to favour a return to former club Newcastle United, but Sullivan doubts Carroll will head back to St James' Park.

He added: "We were paying all of his wages and a huge loan fee. Newcastle didn't even want to pay all of his wages.
    "This is what we are led to believe. So Liverpool were not prepared to let him go to Newcastle. But it may all change. Who knows?"

Uploads

Clarke expects Olsson stay

West Brom boss points to defender's commitment in pre-season
    Last Updated: August 15, 2012 8:04am

Jonas Olsson: West Brom defender is expected to stay at The Hawthorns this season

Steve Clarke is preparing for the new season with Jonas Olsson as part of his plans and says there is no indication the defender will leave West Bromwich Albion.
    Olsson is in the final year of his contract at The Hawthorns and West Brom are hoping to persuade the Sweden international to sign an extension.
    West Ham United had previously targeted a bid for the centre-half, while other clubs have been linked with an offer for Olsson.
    However, with less than three weeks of the transfer window remaining, Baggies boss Clarke is optimistic Olsson will stay at the club.
    Commitment

"There has been no indication that Jonas is going to leave us," said Clarke.
    "Over the summer he's worked well, played games and played with his normal 100 per cent commitment.
    "He's got a year left on his contract so he's not a free transfer so as far as we're concerned Jonas is under contract and will be with us next season.
    "There is nothing that's happened over pre-season to change our mind on that."

Uploads

Rodgers won't splash the cash

Reds boss will not pay excessive fees and wages at Anfield
    Last Updated: August 15, 2012 8:03am

Brendan Rodgers: Will not pay over the odds for players at Liverpool

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has made it clear he will not pay over the odds to bring players to Anfield.
    The new Reds boss has spent a reported 25million on the captures of Fabio Borini and Joe Allen this summer but has also offloaded big-earners such as Alberto Aquilani.
    Rodgers believes the crisis at administration-hit Rangers, demoted to Division Three of Scottish football, fires a warning to all clubs.
    And the manager has no intention of paying excessive fees and wages for underperforming players.
    Value

He said: "In professional and social life, I like to get value, that's just my nature and my upbringing.
    "There's sometimes a snobbery towards players at a lesser club, an ignorance. If you look at our squad, there aren't too many who have dropped from heaven."
    Brendan Rodgers Quotes of the week
    "I won't pay anything at all costs. If there is a player who can make a difference, we'll do all we can to get him. What I'm not prepared to do is waste time, money and effort for anyone who won't add value. I prefer the hungry player, one who wants to succeed.
    "They will earn good money - and they will get their value and worth if they perform."

He added: "There's sometimes a snobbery towards players at a lesser club, an ignorance.
    "If you look at our squad, there aren't too many who have dropped from heaven.
    "A lot have come through lower clubs, made their way and are now making their name at Liverpool.
    "The club's history is about hungry players, coming from the lower leagues and working their way up.
    "Talent aligned with hard work takes you a long way. I find it difficult to work with players who don't share and match that."
    Warning

Liverpool came within days of going bust under previous owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett and Rodgers added: "This is Liverpool Football Club and it's incredible to think it came close to bankruptcy.
    "You may think it'll never happen to your club but who'd have thought it could to a team like Rangers?
    "But if football continues to pay the wages some clubs do, you will be asking for it.
    "If you believe it can't happen, well it can, maybe not now but certainly later. Look at Rangers' history. That is a warning for everyone."

Uploads

Barnsley bag Harewood

Striker pens one-year deal at Oakwell
    Last Updated: August 14, 2012 8:03pm

Marlon Harewood: Has linked up with Barnsley after dropping into the free agent pool

Barnsley have announced that Marlon Harewood has joined the club as a free agent, penning a one-year contract.
    Sky Sports revealed earlier on Tuesday that the Tykes had agreed a deal with the experienced striker.
    The 32-year-old has now completed a switch which sees him return to Oakwell for a second spell.
    Harewood took in a short-term loan at Barnsley in 2011, scoring four goals in 10 appearances.
    Trial

He was expected to link up with Sheffield Wednesday this summer after taking in a trial spell with the Owls which included a hat-trick in a pre-season friendly date with Kilmarnock.
    Wednesday dropped their interest, though, allowing Harewood to sign for their Yorkshire rivals Barnsley.
    Tykes boss Keith Hill had been in the market for a goalscorer after seeing Mido laid low through injury.
    He will be hoping Harewood can rediscover the form which saw him burst onto the scene at Nottingham Forest and grace the Premier League with West Ham and Aston Villa.

Uploads

Lewandowski focused on Dortmund

Dortmund coach hit outs at mischievous football agents
    Last Updated: August 15, 2012 12:32pm

Robert Lewandowski: Dortmund striker is focused on the new season ahead

Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski insists he is focused on doing his best this season for the German champions.
    The 23-year-old has been linked with some of Europe's biggest teams this summer after his excellent goalscoring exploits over the last two campaigns.
    Manchester United, Chelsea and Bayern Munich have all been mentioned as possible suitors for the Poland international.
    Rumours

However, he appears determined to remain with Dortmund for at least the duration of his current deal.
    "The rumours about me and other teams are not of any interest to me," he told Polish newspaper Przeglad Sportowy.
    "I have two years on my deal at Borussia Dortmund and I am still a player at this club.
    "We have a competitive match this coming weekend and that's all that matters to me. I am totally focused on the new season and not what could happen in the future."

The speculation linking one of Dortmund's prized assets with a summer switch has angered boss Jurgen Klopp, who has indicated it could be agents, rather than the player that are hankering for a move.
    He said: "Robert is an exceptional player. He will always be in my squads. Unfortunately his agents will not, there is no doubt about that."

Uploads

Abdellaoue happy at Hannover

Norway international striker has been linked with a move to Swansea
    Last Updated: August 15, 2012 10:14am

Mohammed Abdellaoue: Norway international is happy at Hannover after being linked with Swansea

Mohammed Abdellaoue insists he is planning to stay at Hannover after the striker was linked with a move to Swansea City.
    The Norway international has scored 21 goals in the Bundesliga since joining Hannover from Valerenga two years ago and also impressed in last season's Europa League.

His performances for Hannover have seen Abdellaoue regularly linked with a move away, with Arsenal and Sunderland reported to have shown interest last summer.
    Fellow Premier League side Swansea are the latest club to be mooted as admirers of Abdellaoue as new manager Michael Laudrup aims to put his own stamp on the squad.

However, Abdellaoue has two years remaining on his contract and is not thinking about leaving Hannover before the close of the transfer window.
    "I am a Hannover player and I like playing for this club," Abdellaoue told BILD.
    "I have two more years left on my contract. I am staying with Hannover."

Uploads

New Wolves deal for Henry

Midfielder will be eligible for testimonial in 2016
    Last Updated: August 15, 2012 12:14pm

Karl Henry: Has signed a new four-year contract at Molineux

Karl Henry has signed a new four-year contract at Wolves and stressed his desire to be part of the rebuilding process at Molineux.
    Henry joined Wolves in 2006 and captained the side to promotion to the Premier League in 2009.
    But the 29-year-old was stripped of the captaincy by former boss Mick McCarthy last summer and the club were subsequently relegated from the top flight after a dismal campaign.

Confusion surrounds the future of several Wolves stars ahead of the new Championship season but Henry is hoping to stay and is already eyeing a testimonial at the club in 2016.
    "I think there was some interest from a couple of clubs in the Premier League but I was happy to commit my future to the club and I am fully committed to the cause," Henry told the club's official website.
    Delighted

"I already had two years remaining but am delighted to have extended my deal which takes me up to ten years here and would make me eligible for a testimonial as well.
    "I've been here a long time but I have to say the six years have flown by.
    "I'm 29 now and I feel that I'm in my best years and hopefully I can do the business for the next four years.
    "Last time we were in the Championship it was a very good year and hopefully we can have another one like that.
    "It has been a tough three years in the Premier League and maybe not as enjoyable as we all hoped it was going to be.
    "There were some great moments of course but it has also been a real battle to stay up and last year we fell short.
    "It's a bit of a rebuild now but I'm happy to commit my future and be part of that rebuilding process."
    Stability

Wolves boss Stale Solbakken hopes Henry's commitment to the club will bring some stability at what he admits is a difficult time.
    "There was interest from a couple of Premier League clubs in Karl so we are pleased that he is staying with us," added the manager.
    "He wanted to stay, we wanted him to stay, and it is good that the club have added another two years to his contract.
    "The four-year deal also means that he will be eligible for a testimonial if he stays all the way through.
    "I think it gives Karl stability but also gives the club stability and shows that to the players who are here and others we may sign.
    "Karl is a good player and also an important player because he knows the culture of the club and the league we are in."

Uploads

Modric 'set for Real switch'
    Last Updated: August 15 2012, 17:51 BST

Reports suggest Luka Modric is set to fly to Spain on Thursday to finalise his move from Tottenham to Real Madrid.

Luka Modric: Poised to complete Real Madrid move
    If the move goes through it would bring to an end a four-year spell at White Hart Lane for Modric, during which time he has developed into one of the Premier League's most impressive performers.
    The Croatia international was linked with a move to Chelsea last summer but Spurs chairman Daniel Levy stood firm to keep him at the club.
    However, intense speculation resurfaced ahead of the current transfer window and Modric made no secret of his desire to join Real Madrid, with Sky Sports now claiming a deal could be completed quickly.

New Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas criticised Modric after he did not travel to the United States for their pre-season tour, and the 26-year-old has continued to train apart from the rest of the squad.
    Villas-Boas has already strengthened his midfield with the signing of Gylfi Sigurdsson since replacing Harry Redknapp at the Tottenham helm, while Joao Moutinho has been linked with a move to join up with his former Porto manager.