Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 17-08-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 17-08-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 17-08-2012

Sinclair shuns Swans deal

Winger won't sign extension at Liberty Stadium
    Last Updated: August 17, 2012 8:40am

Scott Sinclair: Swansea winger will not sign new deal amid interest from Man City

Scott Sinclair will not be signing a new contract with Swansea City, manager Michael Laudrup has confirmed.
    Sinclair has just 12 months left on his current deal and has been offered improved terms by the Swans.
    But with a number of clubs linked with his services, including champions Manchester City, Sinclair has now decided he will not be signing an extension.
    "I have spoken to Scott and he confirmed what he said to the chairman that he won't sign a new contract," said Laudrup.
    Important

"But he is here now and that's what important for me.
    "You never know what will happen tomorrow or the day after but there is no point arguing about it, we have to get on with it.
    "Until August 31 anything can happen.
    "Of course there is interest from a big club in Scott but the only thing I care about in the short term is that it does not effect him for Saturday.
    "If it effects the player then we have to talk about.
    "I will talk to Scott and if he says no he does not want to play then we will see, if he says 'I'm a professional' then I know he is in the squad."
    Interest

Laudrup admitted City are interested in signing the Team GB Olympic player, but would not say if Swansea have received a formal offer from the cash-rich Etihad Stadium club.
    "I don't know how official it is but there is interest," he said.
    "Manchester City is the name that is always coming up but again I have not spoken to them.
    "But I don't know if it's official."

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 17-08-2012

QPR land Bosingwa

Former Chelsea defender joins Loftus Road outfit
    Last Updated: August 17, 2012 8:25am

Jose Bosingwa: Former Chelsea defender heading to QPR

Sky Sports sources understand that Queens Park Rangers have signed former Chelsea defender Jose Bosingwa.
    The Portugal international right-back saw his four-year spell at Stamford Bridge come to an end in the summer when he was not offered an extension to his contract.

The 29-year-old, who signed from Porto for 16million in May 2008, made 43 appearances for the Blues last term and started both the FA Cup final success against Liverpool and the UEFA Champions League triumph over Bayern Munich.
    He was deemed surplus to requirements as Roberto di Matteo looked to re-shape his squad but has not had to wait long to secure his Premier League future.

Loftus Road boss Mark Hughes, backed by the finances of owner Tony Fernandes, has handed a deal to Bosingwa as he looks to establish the West London club in the top flight.

Uploads

Saints agree record deal

Uruguay international Ramirez heading for England
    Last Updated: August 17, 2012 8:29am

Gaston Ramirez: Uruguay international midfielder on his way to Southampton

Sky Sports understands Southampton have agreed a club record deal with Bologna for Uruguay international Gaston Ramirez.
    The 21-year-old had been approached by Tottenham, Liverpool and Inter Milan earlier this summer.
    But now newly-promoted Southampton are on the verge of a huge coup by landing the midfielder, who has just had an excellent Olympic campaign for Uruguay.

Saints boss Nigel Adkins was looking for a big name attacking midfielder and had failed with a bid for PSV Eindhoven's Dutch international Jeremain Lens, but he switched his attentions to Ramirez and looks to have got his man.
    Southampton chairman Nicola Cortese has brokered the deal, which is believed to be worth 15million (11.8million).
    Ramirez has confirmed he is ready to fly to England to conclude a move to St Mary's.
    Agreement

"Bologna will tell me on Friday if I can move," he told the Corriere dello Sport.
    "The truth is that I think, yes, this time I am moving. Bologna has reached an agreement with Southampton, and there are only a few details to be found but the agreement in principle is done."
    Ramirez admits that Southampton have offered him very good terms, and he is happy to become a key player for them.

"The English club has reached an agreement with me, it is the classic offer that you cannot refuse for my life as a whole and my family.
    "But they believe in me in every way, I will be essential and above all they are going to grow. Southampton is a newly promoted team in the English top-flight but they will become a big team in years to come.
    "They have told me they are going to build and that is very stimulating."

Uploads

RVP set to complete move

Striker undergoes medical with Manchester United
    Last Updated: August 17, 2012 7:47am

Robin van Persie: Striker set to complete his move to Manchester United on Friday morning

Robin van Persie underwent the first part of his Manchester United medical late on Thursday night and is expected to complete his move from Arsenal later today.
    The Holland international is due for the second series of examinations on Friday morning before putting pen to paper on an anticipated 24million move to Old Trafford.

Last season's Premier League top scorer needs to have his switch from the Gunners ratified by midday if he is to make his debut for the Red Devils in Monday night's Premier League meeting with Everton.
    The deal represents a major coup for Sir Alex Ferguson, who hopes the partnership between Van Persie and Wayne Rooney can fire United back to the Premier League summit.
    Live on Sky Sports

• vs
    • Everton v Man Utd

• August 20, 2012 7:00pm

As a player who could see his first-team opportunities significantly reduced by the deal, Danny Welbeck could be forgiven a sense of trepidation.
    However, the 21-year-old is as delighted as anyone that United have managed to prise Arsenal's best player away from Arsene Wenger's side.
    Massive boost

"It's given the club a massive boost," said Welbeck. "He's a world-class striker who can score goals and create them as well. They are the type of players who do win you titles.
    "Everyone is delighted to have him and I'm really looking forward to playing with him."
    And midfielder Tom Cleverley is excited by the prospect of Van Persie the Red Devils and forging a deadly partnership with Rooney.

Cleverley said: "He is an exciting player to link up with as a midfielder. He just adds to our goalscoring ability with Welbeck, Rooney, Hernandez, Berbatov.
    "I've admired him at Arsenal, he is a world class player, a goalscorer and is proven in the Premier League. All those three things will help us.
    "I think Rooney and Van Persie were the top goalscorers in the Premier League last season and hopefully they can score as many this year."

Uploads

Johnson unsure over City future
    Last Updated: August 17 2012, 8:22 BST

Adam Johnson is uncertain he will be given the regular football he craves at Manchester City and which would bolster his chances of being a key part of the England squad.

Adam Johnson: 'I need to play week-in week-out'
    The winger missed out on selection for Roy Hodgson's Euro 2012 squad although he played the full 90 minutes of Wednesday night's friendly international with Italy in Berne.
    But Johnson has had a stop-start career at City since moving from Middlesbrough three seasons ago and is unsure whether that scenario will alter during 2012-2013.

Johnson said: "It was brilliant to get 90 minutes for England. After the disappointment of the Euros, to get straight back in and start was fantastic and has given me a lot of confidence.
    "I enjoyed it as I had a bit more freedom and I felt good. The manager said he wants me to go out and express myself, feel free and take people on, which is what I like to do.
    "I really enjoyed it and hopefully I can play a few more games. It would be nice to get a run of games with England and hopefully I can push on to the next qualifiers."

But Johnson knows those chances will be enhanced if City boss Roberto Mancini gives him more opportunities.
    He added: "I'm the kind of player that needs to be playing regularly. Any player does really, no matter what age they are.
    "I need to play week-in week-out. You can't just go into one game after not having played for five and be expected to perform.
    "Like I said, it would be nice to get a run of games with England but I'm not sure if I'll get that chance at City. Time will tell."

Uploads

Cleverley excited for RVP link-up
    Last Updated: August 17 2012, 7:22 BST

England debutant Tom Cleverley is excited by the prospect of Robin van Persie joining Manchester United and forging a goal-laced partnership with Wayne Rooney.

Tom Cleverley: Excited for van Persie partnership
    The midfielder impressed when earning his first cap during England's 2-1 success over Italy in a friendly international in Berne on Wednesday night.
    But inevitably many of the post match interviews focused on what Cleverley felt of Van Persie's expected switch from Arsenal to Old Trafford.
    Cleverley said: "This is the first I've heard about but, if he comes, he will only strengthen us. He is an exciting player to link up with as a midfielder.

"He just adds to our goalscoring ability with Wellbeck, Rooney, Hernandez, Berbatov.
    "I've admired him at Arsenal, he is a world class player, a goalscorer and is proven in the Premier League. All those three things will help us.
    "I think Rooney and Van Persie were the top goalscorers in the Premier League last season and hopefully they can score as many this year."
    Cleverley believes he reaped the benefit of being part of Team GB's Olympic squad in preparing him for his England debut but knows there is still room for improvement.

He said: "It was a proud moment for me, making my debut and us winning was an added bonus. I felt like I worked hard. I know I can do better but was delighted with the debut.
    "The Olympic experience helped me. It was international football, a tournament, it was more 90 minutes for me on big stages. It is always good experiences playing on stages like that.
    "My role was was a lot different, more advanced than in the Olympics. Sometimes you are receiving the ball with the back to play and not with play in front of you.

"It's hard in that sense and Daniele de Rossi, who was in and around my area, is a good player. It made it hard for me at times but I worked hard and did the best I could."
    Cleverley added: "It was a step up. You've got world class players around you which ups your game as well and, if you make a mistake, you know you are going to get punished.
    "When we did make mistakes, they created chances so it is a step up but part of the learning curve."
    England left-back Leighton Baines is relishing the prospect of facing Van Persie when Everton tackle United in Monday's Barclays Premier League clash at Goodison Park.

He said: "When you come up against United, if it's not a Rooney then it's going to be a Van Persie or a Nani.
    "There is always someone else to worry about!
    "The strength in depth these teams have is something you have to cope with.
    "But I can't wait for the game. You always look forward to starting the season and it is great to be playing on a Monday against a team like United."

Baines knows it is important Everton shake off their tag as slow starters.
    He said: "It is important for us to get a decent start. It has always hampered and hindered us the last couple of seasons.
    "There is no better game. We've always been at our best when we get after teams and when you play a team like United, that's what you've got to do.
    "It's a good way for us to start the season."

Uploads

Lambert likes Defoe & Jones

Villa manager waiting to see if moves materialise
    Last Updated: August 17, 2012 11:46am

Kenwyne Jones: Described as a 'really good player' by Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert

Paul Lambert has admitted he is an admirer of Jermain Defoe and Kenwyne Jones as he looks to bolster his squad further before the end of the month.
    The Aston Villa manager has been linked with a move for another striker and Tottenham's Defoe is believed to be on his radar, along with Jones of Stoke.

But Lambert says it is a case of "wait and see" in terms of whether either will be heading to Villa Park.
    When asked if he was interested in the pair, Lambert said: "You are talking about two really good players, different types of players there.
    "I think a club this size will always be linked with players of that ilk.

"I don't think you ever stop looking for players. You have always got to try and improve.
    "Whether they come in or not, we will have to wait and see but any manager will tell you, you are always going to look for players."
    Nothing happening

Stephen Warnock and Alan Hutton have been told they can leave if the price is right, but Lambert says no move is imminent.
    He said: "(Nothing is happening) at the minute. I've picked a squad for tomorrow at West Ham that will go and compete and do the very best they can.
    "I spoke to Stephen and Alan, they know the situation, what is going on."

Uploads

Pulis still keen on Owen

Stoke boss hopes to get work permit for Popov
    Last Updated: August 17, 2012 1:32pm

Michael Owen: Former Manchester United striker remains a target for Stoke boss Tony Pulis

Stoke manager Tony Pulis remains optimistic of agreeing a deal to sign Michael Owen and is hopeful of being able to finalise a move for Goran Popov.
    The 32-year-old former England international is a free agent after being released by Manchester United this summer, and has yet to secure a new club ahead of the season starting.

Pulis currently has five strikers on the books in Peter Crouch, Jon Walters, Mamady Sidibe, Kenwyne Jones and Cameron Jerome, and is waiting to see if a deal for Owen will come off.
    The Stoke manager said: "Michael hasn't gone anywhere and it's still a possibility. There's still stuff happening and going on. Whether we can do a deal or not is another matter.

Pulis still keen on Owen

Great professional

"I've always said he's a good player and someone I think people in the club would like to have around. He's a great professional as well and Crouchy has shown what great professionals can do for the football club."
    Pulis has signed winger Michael Kightly, midfielder Jamie Ness and the versatile Geoff Cameron this summer and is hoping to add full-back Popov on a season-long loan from Dynamo Kiev.

That deal has hit a snag as the Macedonia international has problems with his work permit and Pulis said: "He's got to go to a tribunal on Wednesday so we'll see.
    "We're still looking to do some business if we can, and we always tend to do our business at the back end of the transfer window."

Uploads

Swans launch Baptiste bid

Blackpool defender attracting interest from several clubs
    Last Updated: August 17, 2012 12:46pm

Alex Baptiste: Blackpool defender is understood to have been the subject of a bid by Swansea City

Sky Sports understands Swansea City have joined the race for Alex Baptiste after making a bid for the Blackpool defender.
    The 26-year-old has established himself as a key member of the Blackpool side since arriving from Mansfield Town in 2008.
    Baptiste impressed during their maiden season in the Premier League in 2010/11 and he was also instrumental in Ian Holloway's men reaching the Championship play-off final last term.

Swansea are now understood to have made an attempt to offer Baptiste a return to the top flight as Michael Laudrup continues to put his own stamp on his squad.
    However, a number of other clubs are also thought to be monitoring Baptiste's situation at Bloomfield Road with the defender entering the final year of his contract.

The Swans' Premier League rivals Wigan Athletic showed an interest earlier in the summer, while Leeds United and Nottingham Forest are also reported to be keen.
    Baptiste scored in the Seasiders' opening game of this season as the club suffered a surprise 2-1 home defeat by Morecambe in the Capital One Cup last weekend.

Uploads

Dempsey destined to depart

Jol overlooks forward as he edges towards exit
    Last Updated: August 17, 2012 2:21pm

Clint Dempsey: Looking to move on after entering the final year of his contract

Clint Dempsey has been left out of Fulham's squad to face Norwich and appears destined to be on his way out of Craven Cottage.
    Cottagers boss Martin Jol believes a transfer saga which has dragged on all summer has got to the point of becoming 'embarrassing'.
    Dempsey made it clear early on that he wanted to take on a new challenge, and Liverpool have admitted to holding an interest in the USA international.

No deal has been agreed for a man who still has 12 months left to run on his contract at Fulham, but Jol believes the highly-rated forward is not in the right frame of mind to start the new Premier League season.
    He said: "Clint was not involved over the last four weeks so he is not going to be in the squad.
    Impossible

"He is not committed to the club. He wants to leave.
    "I would like to keep him, but I think it's impossible. It's a sad and an almost embarrassing situation."
    Liverpool's decision to air their interest in public has frustrated Jol, with Brendan Rodgers' comments only serving to make a difficult situation harder for all concerned.

"I would like to keep him, but I think it's impossible. It's a sad and an almost embarrassing situation."
    Martin Jol Quotes of the week
    "That was very disappointing," said the Dutchman.
    "There was never an offer. Clint himself told everyone he was going to Liverpool before he came back so we really thought there was quite a firm interest in him.

"Even (Rodgers) told everyone he was interested in Clint Dempsey, but our people never had an offer on the table, so it's almost embarrassing.
    "If you have shown interest in a player, especially in England, you have to follow it up with an offer. They didn't."
    Position

While accepting that Dempsey looks to be heading for pastures new, Jol insists Fulham will not allow the 29-year-old to leave for less than they feel he is worth - with the capital club still in a position to demand a fee.
    "Maybe Liverpool will come back," Jol said.

"I can assure you that our chairman is strong enough. At first we didn't want to get rid of him, later on we had to change our position.
    "But our view is that we won't let Clint Dempsey go on the cheap, that's for sure."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast