Thread: help me difference beetween lan and wan sharing???info

help me difference beetween lan and wan sharing???info

hy guys,
    i need a help i want to share with my father my abbo but i don't understand if i may share with lan guide or wan guide....we live in two different house....anyone help me?i must read guide for lan or wan?

Uploads

Re: help me difference beetween lan and wan sharing???info

hi

lan in for internal network (inside your house), wan for external network (via the web)

regards

Uploads

LAN - Local Area Network

A LAN connects network devices over a relatively short distance. A networked office building, school, or home usually contains a single LAN, though sometimes one building will contain a few small LANs (perhaps one per room), and occasionally a LAN will span a group of nearby buildings. In TCP/IP networking, a LAN is often but not always implemented as a single IP subnet. In addition to operating in a limited space, LANs are also typically owned, controlled, and managed by a single person or organization. They also tend to use certain connectivity technologies, primarily Ethernet and Token Ring.

WAN - Wide Area Network

As the term implies, a WAN spans a large physical distance. The Internet is the largest WAN, spanning the Earth. A WAN is a geographically-dispersed collection of LANs. A network device called a router connects LANs to a WAN. In IP networking, the router maintains both a LAN address and a WAN address.

A WAN differs from a LAN in several important ways. Most WANs (like the Internet) are not owned by any one organization but rather exist under collective or distributed ownership and management. WANs tend to use technology like ATM, Frame Relay and X.25 for connectivity over the longer distances.

LAN, WAN and Home Networking

Residences typically employ one LAN and connect to the Internet WAN via an Internet Service Provider (ISP) using a broadband modem. The ISP provides a WAN IP address to the modem, and all of the computers on the home network use LAN (so-called private) IP addresses. All computers on the home LAN can communicate directly with each other but must go through a central gateway, typically a broadband router, to reach the ISP

Source: compnetworking.about.com

So it seems to me that if the house of your father is more than let's say 1 km from your own house, you have to use WAN...

Quote Originally Posted by zed44 View Post
    hi

lan in for internal network (inside your house), wan for external network (via the web)

regards
    thanks....sorry a question for media** italy sharing not necessary needs two dreambox?i can do also with ddt receiver linux based?