Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 19-08-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 19-08-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 19-08-2012

Fergie hints at another signing

Ferguson confident Glazers will back him in market
    Last Updated: August 19, 2012 11:54am

Sir Alex Ferguson: Confident he will have the backing of the Glazers for more signings

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has hinted that he could make one more signing before the transfer window closes.
    Ferguson had indicated at the unveiling of Robin van Persie on Friday that the Dutchman's arrival from Arsenal was likely to be the last bit of business this summer.
    Live on Sky Sports

• vs
    • Everton v Man Utd

• August 20, 2012 7:00pm

However, Ferguson has revealed he is confident he would get the backing of the club's owners, the Glazers, if he wanted to make another foray in the transfer market.
    "I think that is maybe it [in terms of signings this summer]," Ferguson told MUTV. "Maybe in one other position.

"We have spent a big amount of money and, if I need to go to the owners, I am sure they would say 'yes'. But it's only if a certain player would become available."
    Ferguson revealed earlier this summer he could be in the market for a new left-back with United short of cover and he has been linked with a move for Everton's Leighton Baines.

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 19-08-2012

Carra - Keeping duo is key

Stopper feels Agger and Skrtel are best defensive pairing in league
    Last Updated: August 19, 2012 12:02pm

Key duo: Agger and Skrtel are key at the back, says Carragher

Veteran Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher is hopeful Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel will stay at Anfield and believes it is 'vital' the club keep hold of the duo.
    The centre-backs are both attracting interest from fellow Premier League clubs and abroad this summer, with Agger on the radar of champions Manchester City.

The pair are yet to sign new contracts on Merseyside but Carragher believes both want to stay.
    And while the 34-year-old knows their presence limits his own game time, he believes keeping them at Liverpool is crucial.
    "It's probably not so good for me but, joking apart, it's absolutely vital we keep them," Carragher told the Daily Star.
    "I know Vincent Kompany was great for Manchester City last season but, for me, as a defensive partnership these two are the best in the Premier League.

"I don't think either has signed a new contract just yet but Martin is very close and Daniel wants to stay at Liverpool. That's brilliant news."
    Agger and Skrtel were vital as Liverpool conceded just 38 goals last season, but the duo endured a disappointing start to the new campaign as they both conceded penalties in Saturday's defeat against West Brom, with the former earning a red card.

Uploads

Di Matteo hopes Lamps plays on

Blues boss happy with 'influential' midfielder
    Last Updated: August 19, 2012 12:03pm

Frank Lampard: Entering the final year of his contract at Stamford Bridge

Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo is hopeful of contract talks with veteran midfielder Frank Lampard reaching a successful conclusion.
    Lampard is entering the final year of his contract and revealed this week the club had yet to follow up last term's initial talks about a new deal.
    The 34-year-old insisted he would "love" to stay on but there now appears to be a real prospect he could leave next summer.
    Hopeful

Blues boss Di Matteo was coy about revealing whether he had recommended to the Chelsea board that Lampard was offered an extension but asked whether he was hopeful there would be a positive conclusion to any talks, he said: "I am, yes."
    He added: "These are talks between the club and the player.
    "I've been very happy with Frank and he shows his qualities that he has in every game that he plays, so a very influential player within the group as well."

Chelsea have shown a reluctance to offer players in their 30s anything longer than a one-year contract but Di Matteo has no fears about Lampard's ability to star at the highest level for some time to come.
    "He's in good shape, he's not suffered any major injuries and he looks after himself," he said.
    "We've seen that many players who live a professional life can go on and play up to their late 30s."
    However, that will almost certainly involve the man who is closing in on becoming Chelsea's record goalscorer being used in a more withdrawn midfield role.

The Blues have an embarrassment of young, attacking talent in advanced areas but Di Matteo said: "I don't think we're going to change exactly everything there is about Frank and take his qualities away. We want to enhance his qualities within the team.
    "He certainly has a little bit of a different role but we're still wanting to do what is best for him, trying to go forward and he's got good timing or arrival in the box and scores goals for us as well."
    Lampard may also need to get used to having his game time rationed, something the midfielder took issue with last season and played a part in Andre Villas-Boas' demise as manager.
    Competition

Di Matteo said: "We have a lot of competition in midfield - that is very good - but we have a lot of games as well and competitions that we're going to be playing in.
    "So, there will be time for everybody and that's the situation for all the players."
    He added: "He's an important player, Ramires is an important player, [Juan] Mata's an important, [John Obi] Mikel's an important player, [Michael] Essien.
    "We can't think that we can only count on 11 players or 10 players."

Uploads

Adam happy at Liverpool

Midfielder ignores transfer speculation
    Last Updated: August 19, 2012 12:02pm

Charlie Adam: Planning to stay at Liverpool despite transfer speculation

Charlie Adam insists he is happy to stay at Liverpool despite being linked with a move away from Anfield.
    Adam's future has been the subject of speculation this summer following the arrival of Joe Allen from Swansea.
    The likes of Fulham and Everton have been linked with a move for the Scotland international, but Adam claims he has no plans to quit Liverpool after just one year at the club.
    Paper talk

"I have never heard anything about Fulham, nobody has spoken to me about it, so for the moment it is paper talk and at the moment I am not going anywhere," Adam told the Scotsman.
    "I am happy at Liverpool and why would I leave after a year? There is no point.
    "I am open enough to say I have had a conversation with the manager but for me I'm not going anywhere.

"I am playing with some of the best players in the world, I have a good coach, good manager, and I am learning every day from what he is doing.
    "I want to play this year and hopefully I get the opportunity to do that. It is a big season for everybody. For us at Liverpool it is a big season, we have got Europa League and we want to improve on what we did last year in the league."

Uploads

Swans move for Bhoys ace

Laudrup in pole position for Ki
    Last Updated: August 19, 2012 11:01am

Ki Sung-yueng: Linked with a move to Swansea City

Sky Sports sources understand Swansea are in talks with Celtic over signing Ki Sung-yueng.
    Ki's future at Celtic has been the subject of conjecture this summer with a number of clubs credited with an interest in the midfielder.
    The 23-year-old has impressed at Parkhead since joining Celtic from FC Seoul during the January transfer window in 2010, helping them win the SPL title last season, while also catching the eye at the Olympics with South Korea.

The likes of Arsenal and Queens Park Rangers have been linked with a move for Ki, but it appears Swansea are in pole position to land the South Korean.
    Swansea boss Michael Laudrup is in the market to bolster his midfield options after selling Joe Allen to Liverpool earlier this summer.
    Celtic are thought to be willing to sell Ki for the right price and talks are thought to be at an advanced stage between both clubs.

Uploads

McEachran ready for loan move

Di Matteo keen for youngster to be playing regularly
    Last Updated: August 19, 2012 10:57am

Josh McEachran: Expected to leave Chelsea on loan this season

Chelsea youngster Josh McEachran admits he is ready to go out on loan this season to get some regular first-team football.
    The summer signings of Eden Hazard, Oscar and Marko Marin have pushed McEachran further down the pecking order at Stamford Bridge.
    Live on Sky Sports

• vs
    • Wigan v Chelsea

• August 19, 2012 1:00pm

The 19-year-old endured a frustrating spell on loan at Swansea last season, making just four starts for the Welsh side.
    However, the England Under 21 international is happy to go out on loan again, with a host of Premier League and Championship clubs chasing his signature.
    "For my career I think it's important to play regularly and pick up as much experience as possible, and that's what I'm looking to do," said McEachran.

"There are a few Championship and Premier League teams interested and it's just about picking the right club for me.
    "For my career I think it's important to play regularly and pick up as much experience as possible, and that's what I'm looking to do."
    Josh McEachran Quotes of the week
    "I'll go for six months and then we'll review it again and see what happens next."
    Green light

Blues chief Roberto Di Matteo believes McEachran needs to go out on loan to continue his development.
    "I have had conversations with Josh," admitted Di Matteo. "He came on the scene very young and as a young player you have ups and downs.
    "I think he will go out on loan and get playing again so he can get into his rhythm and back to the level he was at.
    "He didn't play much at Swansea but the team was playing well and the manager saw no need to change
    "We would like to see him more on the pitch this season."

Uploads

Black Cats in Johnson talks

Sunderland have City winger on wishlist
    Last Updated: August 19, 2012 12:01pm

Adam Johnson: Has fallen out of favour at Manchester City

Sky Sports sources understand Sunderland have held talks with Manchester City over an initial 10million deal for out-of-favour winger Adam Johnson.

The winger only signed a new five-year contract at the Etihad Stadium in January but has grown frustrated after failing to hold down a regular place in City's star-studded side.
    The Black Cats are thought to be keen on bringing the England international back to the north-east, while he has also been linked with Tottenham and Everton.

City boss Roberto Mancini understands Johnson's frustration but is reluctant to let players leave as his side prepare to juggle the defence of their Premier League crown with UEFA Champions League football.
    However, the Italian is thought to be chasing Swansea's Scott Sinclair and Johnson's exit could hasten the arrival of the winger.
    Frustrated

Mancini said: "Adam deserves to play because he is a good player, but it is not easy for me because I can only have 11 in my team. Every player who doesn't play is frustrated. I can understand that.
    "I will talk to him about what will happen now, but it is difficult to let him go because I need to have all my players at this moment.
    "When we start the Champions League, we hope to be playing a game every three days for 10 months, so it is not easy to decide about Adam."

Johnson has denied reports of a row with Mancini following City's Community Shield win over Chelsea last Sunday, but is keen to talk with the manager about his future after blaming his England snub at Euro 2012 on his lack of playing time at the club.
    "I will be speaking to him about my situation," said Johnson.
    "There's been no bust-up. But I think what happened to me at City last season was why I missed out at the Euros."

Uploads

Montella eyes Jovetic stay

Reports of failed bid from Manchester City
    Last Updated: August 19, 2012 5:54pm

Stevan Jovetic: Manager wants him to stay

Fiorentina boss Vinzeno Montella is desperate for the club to hold on to Montenegrin ace Stevan Jovetic.
    Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United, Juventus and Barcelona have all been strongly linked with the 22-year-old.
    But reports this weekend have suggested the club have rebuffed an approach from Roberto Mancini's Manchester City.
    It is claim that City dispatched a delegation to see Jovetic captain Fiorentina in their 2-0 Coppa Italia triumph over Novara on Saturday.

Fiorentina owner Andrea Della Valle has already insisted earlier this summer that he has no intention of letting Jovetic leave, having turned down a big offer.
    Speaking following the latest round of speculation, coach Vincenzo Montella insisted that he thinks the young forward wants to stay.
    "I think he'd be disappointed if he left, because we are building an important team here. We're giving him a team for his characteristics," Montella said.
    "This is a side with quality and I am certain that Jovetic strongly wants to stay."

Uploads

Kightly welcomes Owen interest

Winger feels he is over his injury problems
    Last Updated: August 19, 2012 3:06pm

Michael Kightly: Would be happy to see Michael Owen join him at Stoke

Michael Kightly has welcomed Stoke's interest in signing former Manchester United striker Michael Owen.
    Stoke boss Tony Pulis has confirmed he is keeping tabs on Owen as he looks to bolster his attacking options.

Winger Kightly, who joined Stoke from Wolves earlier this summer, would be happy to link up with free agent Owen at the Britannia Stadium and insists their ambition in trying to sign players like Owen convinced him to make the move to the Potteries.

"Michael's a top, top player and his experience will only help us, so we'll see what happens," Kightly said.
    "He's not been the first big player to be linked with this club and that's one of the attractions that was there for me to come here.
    "Whether we sign him is a different matter but it's a club that I feel that are pushing in the right direction and one that I wanted to be a part of."
    Happy

Kightly, who marked his debut for Stoke with a goal in the draw with Reading believes he is over his injury problems which blighted his time at Wolves.
    "Obviously, I've had a tough time with injury but I feel like I'm well over that now," added Kightly.
    "I played 30-odd games last year and I just want to build on that this year."