Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 21-08-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 21-08-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 21-08-2012

Wenger wants two signings

Arsenal manager looking to replace Song and buy defender
    Last Updated: August 21, 2012 7:44am

Arsene Wenger: Looking to add two new players this month

Arsene Wenger says Arsenal are looking to bring in a midfielder and a defender before the transfer window closes.
    The Gunners announced on Saturday that Alex Song has agreed to join Barcelona, following Robin van Persie out of the Emirates Stadium.
    Wenger is keen to add Nuri Sahin to the squad as a replacement for Song and is also hoping to sign a defender before the window shuts at the end of the month.

"We are looking to bring one more midfielder in of course, and maybe one defender as well because we still feel we are short in some positions," he told Arsenal's official website.
    Wenger watched on as his team struggled to hit the net against Sunderland on the opening day, drawing 0-0 in front of their own fans.
    And the long-serving boss is at a loss to explain his team's inability to beat the Black Cats.

"We didn't lose, but it is frustrating when you are home with everyone here and you do not create more chances than we did," he added. "It is very difficult to understand."

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 21-08-2012

Prem interest in Llorente

Agent confirms interest from two clubs
    Last Updated: August 21, 2012 8:28am

Fernando Llorente: Attracting interest from a couple of Premier League clubs

Fernando Llorente's agent has admitted the Athletic Bilabo ace could move to the Premier League before the close of the transfer window.
    The Spain international seems set to leave Bilbao after turning down a new deal at the Basque outfit.
    Juventus are thought to be leading the chase for Llorente having already made several bids for the giant striker's services.

However, the likes of Tottenham, Chelsea and Manchester City have all been credited with an interest in the 27-year-old.
    Llorente's representative, Carlos Arino Bajo, claims two Premier League clubs - one from London and one from Manchester - have expressed an interest in signing the player.

"Tomorrow [Wednesday] Llorente will speak to his destination," Arino Bajo told the Daily Telegraph. "It is very, very possible he will decide to go to the Premier League.
    "I don't know the [choice of] club at the moment but there are two [interested] clubs. One is in London, and one is in Manchester."

Uploads

Azpilicueta open to Blues move

Right-back says deal would help Marseille's finances
    Last Updated: August 21, 2012 8:26am

Cesar Azpilicueta: Appreciates that a sale would ease Marseille¿s money worries

Cesar Azpilicueta believes it would be a good deal for both Marseille and Chelsea if an agreement can be reached to take him to Stamford Bridge.
    The 22-year-old right-back has been linked with a switch to the Blues for some time and Marseille recently admitted their main aim this summer was to reduce the wage bill.

Azpilicueta is one of the players they would be prepared to sell for the right price, and reports suggest he is now close to completing a £7million move.
    Having progressed quickly since he joined Marseille from Osasuna in 2010, Azpilicueta understandably feels a sense of loyalty to the French club.

However, he recognises that a sale would ease their money worries and is open to the idea of going to Chelsea.
    "Everyone thinks it's been a tough time with my thoughts split between Marseille and Chelsea," Azpilicueta said in the Daily Mirror.
    "But if my departure can help Marseille's finances, it's good for everyone."

Uploads

Sinclair expected to join City

Just a matter of time now before it happens, says Swansea coach
    Last Updated: August 21, 2012 8:30am

Scott Sinclair: Subject of interest from Manchester City and will not sign a new deal at the Liberty Stadium

Swansea first-team coach Alan Curtis has confirmed that the club are preparing to sell Scott Sinclair to Manchester City.
    Sinclair is unwilling to sign a new contract at the Liberty Stadium and there is interest from the Premier League champions.

The 23-year-old winger scored 27 times for the Swans in the 2010-11 season before adding a further eight goals last season as they finished mid-table on their top-flight return.
    And like Joe Allen who left for Liverpool in a £15million deal earlier this month, the former Chelsea man will leave the Welsh club with Swansea's best wishes.

"(He is) not really interested in signing a new contract and I think Man City have made a bid," said Curtis.
    "So it's just a matter of time now before it happens and it's good for both parties.
    Terrific

"He's been terrific for us, to be fair, we've had two seasons out of him and he was superb in the Championship and virtually his goals got us promotion.
    "And last year as well he wasn't maybe quite as effective as he was his first year - obviously it was a lot tougher opposition - but he's been absolutely magnificent.

"Like Joe we wish him all the best, but as long as the club keeps pushing forward that's the main thing.
    "It obviously gives Scott the chance to settle in at his new club and it gives us the opportunity to buy a replacement for Scott."
    Swansea boss Michael Laudrup is looking to reinvest the funds from the Allen sale to bring in Celtic midfielder Ki Sung-Yueng, after the Scottish club accepted a bid of around £6m for the 23-year-old.

Uploads

Song completes Barcelona move

Alex Song has completed his £15million move to Barcelona from Arsenal.

Alex Song: Completes Barcelona switch
    The Cameroon international successfully passed his medical at Barca earlier on Monday and has put pen to paper on a five-year contract with the Primera Division giants.
    Song, whose contract has a buy-out clause of 80million euros (£63million), will now join his new team-mates for the official team presentation at the Joan Gamper Trophy at the Nou Camp on Monday evening, where the Catalan club face Sampdoria.

After passing his medical with flying colours, doctor Ricard Pruna said of Song: "His body fat percentage is extremely low and he has good muscle quality.
    "I don't think he's had muscle injuries since he was 17, and that's really good news. He passed all the tests and he's available to the manager."
    The 24-year-old becomes Barca's second major signing of the summer after the capture of Spain full-back Jordi Alba from Valencia and follows a well-worn path from Arsenal to the Nou Camp.
    During Arsene Wenger's reign at the Gunners, Marc Overmars, Emmanuel Petit, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Thierry Henry, Alexander Hleb and Cesc Fabregas have all made the switch to Barca.

It remains to be seen when Song will make his debut for his new side.
    After tonight's match against Sampdoria, Barca are back in action on Thursday when they host arch rivals Real Madrid in the first leg of the Spanish Supercopa.
    On Sunday Barca travel to Osasuna for their second Primera Division game, having started their campaign with a 5-1 mauling of Real Sociedad last night in what was new coach Tito Vilanova's competitive debut
    having replaced Pep Guardiola this summer.

Song sat out Arsenal's Barclays Premier League opener against Sunderland on Saturday amid widespread speculation he was on the verge of a move to Barca, and immediately after that match it was announced that the two clubs had agreed terms for the transfer of the player.
    Primarily a defensive midfielder, Song joined the Gunners on loan from French club Bastia in August 2005 before the move was made permanent at the end of the 2005/06 season.
    In the following season he spent the second half of the campaign on loan at Charlton before returning to Arsenal and subsequently establishing himself as a key member of Wenger's squad.

In total, Song made 204 competitive appearances for Arsenal during his seven seasons at the club, scoring 10 goals.
    Arsenal said in a statement on their website on Monday: "Everyone at Arsenal would like to thank Alex for his contribution to the club and wish him the best of luck for the future."
    And Song was delighted to complete his move, telling Barca TV: "Today is a very good day for me and my family. Very happy to be here, this is the best team in the world, playing at a club like Barça is something I wanted when I was young.

"I hope the team will continue to win, this is a winning team. They win everything. I will give my best on training and when I get the chance to play I will do it.''
    And Song believes former Arsenal team-mate Cesc Fabregas will help him settle at the Nou Camp.
    "I know Cesc very well, I slept at his house last night,'' he added. ''He's a very good friend of mine, he will help me to integrate.''

Uploads

Skrtel pens new Liverpool deal

Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel insists there was never any doubt in his mind about wanting to stay at the club and was more than happy to sign a new contract.

Martin Skrtel: Signs a new long-term contract at Anfield
    Even last season's disappointing eighth-place finish, a summer change of manager and speculation about a move away did nothing to dissuade the Slovakia international.
    In fact Skrtel believes there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic.
    "After last season there was a lot of talk about my future but I have to say that the first priority for me was always to sign a new deal with Liverpool," said the 27-year-old.

"I have been here almost four-and-a-half years and I have enjoyed that time here - myself and also my family - so there were no questions about whether to stay or to leave.
    "A lot of things have changed, a new manager (Brendan Rodgers) has come and I think we can start to make history and I want to be a part of that history.

"We have our target. For this season it is the top four and I hope we can do it. Then we will see.

"I think Brendan Rodgers showed his quality with Swansea and now he's carrying on doing that at Liverpool.
    "He's showed he's a great manager and I hope we can play better football than we did in the last seasons and I hope we can get our target."
    Skrtel's centre-back partnership with Daniel Agger is viewed as the bedrock of Rodgers' foundations for the coming years so the next job for the Reds boss is to tie the Denmark international down to a new contract.
    Manchester City are believed to have made two enquiries about Agger over the summer but Rodgers has stressed he does not want to sell the defender.
    Skrtel undoubtedly looks more comfortable with the ball-playing centre-back alongside him and last season's player of the year is keen to carry on improving.

"You can always play better. I can say the last two seasons were really good for me - probably the best two seasons of my career," he told liverpoolfc.com.
    "If I can repeat the performances of the last two years this season I can be happy.
    "For me it's a great thing to play for Liverpool. I am proud to play for Liverpool with these great players - probably some of the best players in the world.
    "I hope I can create history at this club and that the fans will always remember me - that's my target for the future."

Uploads

Moisander agrees Ajax switch

Finnish defender leaves AZ Alkmaar in €3million deal
    Last Updated: August 21, 2012 12:54pm

Niklas Moisander: Has secured a move back to his 'dream club' Ajax

Ajax have confirmed the signing of Niklas Moisander from Eredivisie rivals AZ Alkmaar.
    Moisander spent two years at Ajax between 2004 and 2006 but failed to make a single first-team appearance before moving on to Belgian outfit FC Zwolle and then AZ.

But the Dutch giants announced on Tuesday that they have brought the Finland international back to the Amsterdam Arena in a three-year deal for a fee of €3million (£2.4m).
    Moisander is delighted to have earned himself a second chance at the four-time champions of Europe.

"It was a hectic summer, but I'm glad it's all come good. Ajax is my dream club," the 26-year-old defender told Ajax's official website.
    "I am very fit and want to make my debut. Hopefully that happens Saturday night in the home match against NAC Breda."
    Confidence

Moisander will be seen as a replacement for former captain Jan Vertonghen, who joined Tottenham earlier this summer, but the Finn is determined to be his own man.

"I am not going to walk in his shoes, but I will just fill in, in my own way. I have every confidence that I will succeed," he added.
    Ajax boss Frank de Boer is pleased with his new acquisition and feels the defender's experience - both at the club and within football in general - makes him ideally suited to make an impact.

De Boer said: "Niklas is a real Ajax player. He has clearly developed in recent years. Therefore he is now qualified for a return to Ajax.
    "He is also a leader. For Ajax, Niklas is almost a veteran. But that's exactly what Ajax needs now. He knows the tricks of the top football."

Uploads

N'Guessan attracting interest

Addicks and Owls keen on French forward

Last Updated: August 21, 2012 1:33pm

Dany N'Guessan: Took in a loan spell at Charlton last season

Sky Sports understands that Millwall winger Dany N'Guessan has been the subject of enquiries from Charlton and Sheffield Wednesday.
    The 25-year-old forward took in a loan spell with the Addicks last season as they secured the League One title.
    Charlton boss Chris Powell is keen to bring N'Guessan back to The Valley and add him to his Championship plans.

He is, however, set to face competition for the Frenchman's signature from second tier rivals Wednesday.
    The Owls are looking to add creativity to their ranks and believe N'Guessan would be a shrewd purchase.
    The former Lincoln and Leicester man appears to be out of favour at The Den and played no part in Millwall's 2-0 defeat to Blackpool on Saturday.

Uploads

Llorente 'happy' at Bilbao

Striker remains unsure about where he will be playing football next

By Simone Bargellini. Last Updated: August 21, 2012 2:10pm

Fernando Llorente: The Athletic Bilbao striker scored home and away against Manchester United in the Europa League

Fernando Llorente admits he is 'happy to play at Athletic Bilbao' despite huge doubts surrounding his future at the club.
    The 27-year-old shot to fame last season by hitting an impressive 30 goals in 53 appearances including home and away against Manchester United as they beat them en route to the Europe League final.

But the tall striker is entering the last year of his contract at the club and his failure to sign a new one has caught the attention of many clubs around Europe including Arsenal, Tottenham and Juventus.
    Llorente was also left out of the season opener against Real Betis, fuelling the debate about whether he would stay at the club.

But the hitman hinted that he may yet remain by responding "let's see", when asked if he would extend his contract at Athletic Bilbao.
    "I don't know anything about the negotiations regarding me," he told Itasportpress.it. "Right now I am just thinking about my team.
    "I am happy to play at Athletic Bilbao because I feel an important player and I would like to continue here."

Uploads

Forest to snap up Ferrier

O'Driscoll to sign former Gunners starlet
    Last Updated: August 21, 2012 1:29pm

Sean O'Driscoll: Ready to offer Morgan Ferrier a deal at Nottingham Forest

Sky Sports understands Nottingham Forest are poised to sign former Arsenal youngster Morgan Ferrier.
    Ferrier is looking for a new club after leaving Watford earlier this summer.

The 17-year-old came through Arsenal's youth system before linking up with Watford last summer after impressing on trial.
    Forest boss Sean O'Driscoll has been a long-term admirer of Ferrier and had him in at Crawley before he left for the City Ground.
    O'Driscoll has kept tabs on Ferrier and he has now decided to bring him to Forest as he looks to bolster his squad with the forward seen as one for the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast