Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 22-08-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 22-08-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 22-08-2012

Poyet wants a striker

Mackay satisfied with Cardiff's start to the season
    Last Updated: August 22, 2012 7:19am

Gus Poyet: Brighton manager is looking for a new striker after the 0-0 draw with Cardiff

Gus Poyet is hoping to sign a striker following Brighton & Hove Albion's 0-0 draw at home with Cardiff City, whose manager Malky Mackay is satisfied with a solid start to the season.

Brighton are still searching for a first goal of the campaign after Tuesday's stalemate followed on from the weekend's 1-0 defeat at Hull City.
    West Ham United forward Frederic Piquionne has been linked with a move to the AMEX Stadium, but Seagulls boss Poyet says he is not currently close to improving his firepower.
    Poyet said: "We need a striker but we are not close enough to getting that striker. Quality is expensive and to be at the top you need to spend.
    "People say that there is a financial crisis in the world but there isn't one in football and money is spent when it is needed to be.
    "People say that there is a financial crisis in the world but there isn't one in football and money is spent when it is needed to be."
    Gus Poyet Quotes of the week

"We would consider bringing in a striker on loan from a Premier League club. I am relaxed but worried we are losing time. I accept where we are and I accept the budget we have got."
    Brighton failed to take advantage of a string of clear-cut chances against Cardiff but Poyet refused to be too hard on his misfiring side.
    Keep believing

He added: "The players need to keep believing. I feel for them but we need to remain positive through this.
    "People thought we were the best side in the world in pre-season when we beat Chelsea but the fact is that we haven't won in three games."
    Cardiff manager Mackay admits that taking four points from their opening two games is a highly satisfactory start to the season for his men.
    The Bluebirds began the campaign with a 1-0 home win over Huddersfield and Mackay is particularly pleased that they have begun with two clean sheets.

He said: "What it's all about is consistency, and scoring goals and keeping clean sheets gives you that. We can certainly build on the start we have made.
    "It is a solid start and the quality additions we have made to the squad has certainly helped. For the neutral this was an entertaining 0-0 draw, it was an even contest and the correct result."
    Mackay withdrew former Liverpool forward Craig Bellamy with 17 minutes remaining but expects him to be fit for Saturday's clash at Bristol City after taking a kick on the chest.

He said: "Jordon Mutch also took a stamp on the foot and we will have a look at him but Bellamy is okay. It was a nasty knock but he just gets on with it.
    "We brought on Joe Mason and Etiene Velikonja and they both did really well, Velikonja produced a couple of great runs and we just want to improve our consistency."

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 22-08-2012

Jewell denies bid for Edu

Ipswich boss wants to improve squad before transfer window shuts
    Last Updated: August 22, 2012 7:33am

Maurice Edu: Rangers midfielder has not been the subject of a bid from Ipswich, according to Paul Jewell

Ipswich Town manager Paul Jewell has denied claims from Rangers that he has made a bid for USA international midfielder Maurice Edu.
    Jewell's Rangers counterpart Ally McCoist stated at the start of the week that Edu was considering a move to Ipswich as he does not want to play in the Third Division.
    However, while Jewell is keen to improve his squad before the transfer window closes, he says he has not made an approach for Edu.
    "I know we need players to come into the squad and no-one is working harder on that than me," said Jewell after Ipswich's 1-0 win at Watford on Tuesday night.

"I haven't made an offer for Maurice Edu and to be honest, if we were to talk about who I am and am not in for we'd be here all day.
    "We are in for players and I've said that we need players, at least three. I'm not going to comment on speculation really.
    "I don't know what the situation with Maurice Edu is because I haven't asked the question. I spoke to Ally McCoist earlier in the summer about a player in Scotland and that's the only conversation I've had with him."
    Rangers also stated on their official website on Tuesday that Premier League club Stoke City are also believed to be interested in signing Edu.
    McCoist said after Tuesday's Ramsdens Cup win over Falkirk that Edu's agents had told the club's administrative staff that there is a 'deal to be done' with Stoke.

Uploads

Inter deny Spurs-Damiao talks

Brazilians insistent over striker
    Last Updated: August 22, 2012 7:47am

Leandro Damiao: No talks planned with Spurs

Internacional president Giovanni Luigi has reiterated his stance over Leandro Damiao and insists that it would take an 'extraordinary offer' for them to sell their star striker.
    Luigi talked to the Brazilian media amid reports that Tottenham had made a renewed bid for the 23-year-old.
    Spurs have been following Damiao for a couple of years, and have seen more than one bid rejected by the Porto Alegre-based outfit.

Damiao had a good Olympic tournament for Brazil as they finished runners-up and ended as top scorer with six goals.
    His form in England has only enhanced his burgeoning reputation and Spurs are reported in South America to have dispatched a delegation to try and finalise a deal.
    Luigi has previously stated that Tottenham would have to pay 60million (47million) for Damiao and his stance appears unaltered.
    No meeting

"There isn't any Tottenham representative here, and nothing is scheduled," he told Globo Esporte.
    "The ones that have been coming here are agents. Leandro Damiao was top scorer in the Olympics. I have nothing scheduled with Tottenham.
    "Internacional want to keep Leandro Damiao. He'll leave only if there is an extraordinary offer."

Uploads

Addicks confirm Fuller deal

Striker in contention to make his debut against Hull City
    Last Updated: August 22, 2012 8:11am

Ricardo Fuller: Striker has signed a one-year contract at Charlton Athletic

Charlton Athletic have confirmed the signing of former Stoke City striker Ricardo Fuller on an initial one-year contract.
    Fuller was available on a free transfer after being released by Stoke over the summer and he had been linked with the likes of Hull City and Middlesbrough.

However, the 32-year-old has plumped for a move to Championship new boys Charlton and the deal includes the option for a second season.
    He was presented to the Addicks fans during half-time of Tuesday's 2-1 win over Leicester City and he is in contention to make his debut against Hull on Saturday.

The Jamaican undertook a trial at Charlton earlier in his career, scoring five goals in three appearances for the reserves, but a deal fell through.
    Fuller started out in England with a brief spell at Charlton's local rivals Crystal Palace in 2001 and has also played for the likes of Portsmouth and Southampton before spending the past six seasons at Stoke.

Uploads

Mackay happy to net Connolly

QPR defender set to finalise permanent move to Cardiff
    Last Updated: August 22, 2012 8:33am

Matthew Connolly: Queens Park Rangers defender is set to finalise a move to Cardiff City

Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay is looking forward to adding Matt Connolly to his squad after agreeing a deal to sign the Queens Park Rangers defender.
    Sky Sports revealed earlier this week that Cardiff's bid for Connolly had been accepted and the 24-year-old is now set to finalise his move to the Championship club.
    Mackay believes the recruitment of the former Arsenal youngster is a positive sign for Cardiff's future and is happy to have him on board.
    "Matt was schooled at Arsenal, which gave him a great start, and then went out on loan to increase his experience," said Mackay.
    Investment

"He decided to step down a division to progress his career and has played a lot of matches, particularly in the Championship.
    "He can play right across the back four and is another signing who is an investment for this football club.
    "We have brought in a number of young players who will progress and Matt is another who will develop his game with us."
    Connolly has made over 100 appearances for QPR since joining from Arsenal in 2008, but featured only six times in the Premier League last season.
    He will become the second player to leave Loftus Road for Cardiff this summer following Heidar Helguson's move, while Tommy Smith has also been linked with a switch to South Wales.

Uploads

Obita happy with Pompey loan

Winger marked debut with late equaliser against Colchester
    Last Updated: August 22, 2012 8:59am

Jordan Obita: Reading youngster is happy to have joined Portsmouth on a month's loan

Jordan Obita says he 'didn't have to think twice' about joining Portsmouth on loan after marking his debut by scoring a late equaliser against Colchester United.
    The teenage winger joined Portsmouth on a month's loan from Reading on Tuesday and started the League One encounter at Colchester on the bench.

He made an almost immediate impact after being introduced on 84 minutes by earning Pompey a 2-2 draw and he is looking forward to the chance to play first-team football.
    "You can learn something from every squad that you play in and there are some fantastic players here," Obita told Portsmouth's official website.
    "I found out about this loan a couple of weeks ago and I'm glad we could get it sorted. I didn't have to think twice - it's Portsmouth. This is a great club."

Obita had loan spells at Barnet and Gillingham last season, and Pompey boss Michael Appleton is happy to have brought in the 18-year-old.
    Appleton said: "He can play in numerous positions and is a quick lad. He's really lively and will add a youthful edge to our side.
    "He's very highly thought of at Reading and there have been a few clubs wanting to take him on loan."

Uploads

Adebayor hopes to achieve great things
    Last Updated: August 22 2012, 7:39 BST

Emmanuel Adebayor is relishing the prospect of pulling on a Tottenham shirt again after finally completing his move to the London club.

Emmanuel Adebayor: Back at White Hart Lane
    Over three months after scoring in Tottenham's win over Fulham, Adebayor put pen to paper on a permanent deal after reaching a compromise over his pay-off from Manchester City.
    Despite spending three-and-a-half years at bitter rivals Arsenal, Adebayor became a fans' favourite at Tottenham last season, mainly because he scored 18 goals and struck up a sound understanding with Rafael van der Vaart while on loan at the London club.

The Togo hitman vowed to pick up where he left off on Tuesday and admitted that he was relieved to leave the Etihad Stadium to join up again with Spurs.
    "I'm back!!!! Tottenham here I come!! I'm hungry for goals...Get ready," Adebayor tweeted.
    "I am pleased to be signing for Spurs on a permanent basis after finally agreeing my departure with Manchester City," he added later on Spurs' website.

"It may have taken longer than expected but I am delighted to be back at Tottenham Hotspur.
    "I really enjoyed my time here last season and I am hoping we can achieve great things together again."
    With nine days to go until the close of the transfer window, manager Andre Villas-Boas is starting to put the finishing touches to the Spurs squad he wants to win a trophy this season.

The Portuguese sold out-of-favour centre-back Sebastien Bassong to Norwich on Tuesday and it may not be long before another Tottenham defender, Michael Dawson, leaves the club after QPR made a bid for the England international.
    Although he is the club's captain, Dawson was left out of the squad that travelled to Newcastle at the weekend.

There is likely to be further transfer activity at White Hart Lane before the window shuts.
    Tom Huddlestone has been linked with a loan move to Stoke and fellow squad players David Bentley and Giovani Dos Santos may depart.
    Tottenham also remain in talks with Real Madrid over the protracted sale of Luka Modric.
    Villas-Boas will also be looking to add to Tottenham's ranks, with Manchester City midfielder Adam Johnson the latest player to be linked with the north London outfit.

Uploads

Mutu set for French deal

Romanian on his way to Ajaccio
    Last Updated: August 22, 2012 3:29pm

Adrian Mutu: Set for French deal

Romanian international Adrian Mutu set to finalise a move to France with Ajaccio.
    The 33-year-old has been released from his contract with Serie B Cesena and he is now free to move to France.
    The former Chelsea and Juventus ace has been locked in talks with the Corsican side and is now poised to sign on the dotted line.

A statement on the club's official website read: "Cesena can confirm that Adrian Mutu's contract, which tied him to the Bianconera for two more years, has been terminated by mutual consent."
    Last week Ajaccio president Alain Orsini told RMC: "An agreement has been reached with Mutu and his agents."

Uploads

Guidetti to get fresh City deal

Loan deal set to follow new contract
    Last Updated: August 22, 2012 2:10pm

John Guidetti: Ready to sign City deal

Sky Sports understands that John Guidetti is set to agree a new long-term deal at Manchester City.
    The highly-rated Sweden international is then set to seal a loan move away from the Premier League champions.
    The 20-year-old only signed his previous deal last summer, when he agreed a three-year deal after nearly leaving the club.
    Guidetti has only ever played one League Cup match for City after joining their youth set-up in 2008.

After penning his last deal, he was sent on loan to Feyenoord where he enjoyed a hugely successful spell scoring 20 goals.
    Now he is in talks to sign a new deal with City, whilst a host of admirers battle for his signature.
    Feyenoord would like him back, but there are clubs in England, France, Spain, Germany and Italy all keen to land him.
    North East duo Sunderland and Newcastle are understood to be amongst the clubs interested in taking him.

Uploads

Lewandowski offers ignored

Bundesliga champions insist star striker is not for sale
    Last Updated: August 22, 2012 2:15pm

Robert Lewandowski: Chelsea and Bayern Munich have also been linked with the Borussia Dortmund goal machine

Borussia Dortmund have confirmed they have turned down enquiries from a number of clubs for Robert Lewandowski amid reports Manchester United failed in a €30million (24m) bid.

The Poland international was since the beginning of 2012 thought to be top of Sir Alex Ferguson's wanted list as he looked to increase his attacking options.
    And German national newspaper Bild is reporting United even went so far this summer as to bid for Lewandowski having already signed Shinji Kagawa from Bundesliga champions Dortmund.

A 24m offer was reportedly knocked back before Ferguson instead turned his attention to bringing in former Arsenal captain Robin van Persie.
    And Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc has told Bild: "There have been enquiries from several clubs.
    "Our position has not changed since March, Lewandowski still plays at Dortmund."
    Break down

Interest in Lewandowski from around Europe increased at the end of last season after talks over an extension to the remaining two years of his contract at Dortmund broke down.
    European champions Chelsea and Dortmund's Bundesliga rivals, Bayern Munich, have also been linked with Lewandowski, who scored 22 goals in last season's Bundesliga.

But Dortmund are not interested in selling the 24-year-old and chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke said: "There were other clubs interested in him.
    "I am repeating myself but Lewandowski will play next season for Dortmund."

Lewandowski scored 30 times in all competitions last season, including a hat-trick in the German Cup final as Dortmund completed a league and cup double over Bayern.
    Jurgen Klopp's Dortmund on Friday night begin the defence of successive league titles against Werder Bremen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast