Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 27-08-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 27-08-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 27-08-2012

Assou-Ekotto 'surprised' by Redknapp axing

Tottenham left-back Benoit Assou-Ekotto says he was "very surprised" by Daniel Levy's decision to sack Harry Redknapp.

Assou-Ekotto: Mixed messages on AVB

Spurs chairman Levy took a big gamble this summer by sacking Redknapp - a man who had delivered fourth, fifth and fourth place finishes during his time as White Hart Lane boss.
    Levy replaced the 65-year-old with Andre Villas-Boas, who has made a disappointing start with one loss and one draw so far.
    Assou-Ekotto appears convinced Villas-Boas has the credentials to succeed at the north London club - but conceded it was surprising to hear Redknapp had been dismissed.
    "I was very surprised," Assou-Ekotto said. "I was surprised because I don't think there are a lot of managers who finish fourth and they are sacked."

Assou-Ekotto offered two almost contrasting viewpoints on Villas-Boas after Saturday's 1-1 draw with West Brom.
    In one interview the Cameroon international, who scored Tottenham's opener in the game, hailed the Portuguese's tactical nous and described him as "like the son of Mourinho".
    But then in another interview when Assou-Ekotto was asked whether he liked working under the new manager, he said with a smile: "Hmmm, I play, so yeah, he is good for the moment."
    Jermain Defoe, Rafael van der Vaart, Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon all spurned chances for the home side against the Baggies before Assou-Ekotto broke the deadlock with a deflected half-volley.

Villas-Boas packed the midfield shortly after, hoping to stifle a resurgent West Brom, but his efforts proved in vein as James Morrison swept home from inside a packed box to steal a point for Steve Clarke's men.
    Despite the club's faltering start, Assou-Ekotto is convinced Spurs can finish in the top four this term.

"Yes, we can finish in the top four because we finished fourth last season and we haven't changed much from then and maybe we will have one or two new players in too," he added.

"We also have new players with (Gylfi) Sigurdsson, (Jan) Vertonghen and (Emmanuel) Adebayor, and we know Adebayor."
    Fourth would have normally been good enough for a place in the Champions League but, unluckily for Spurs, Chelsea's triumph in the 2012 final in Munich meant the north London club had to settle for Europa League football this season.

Assou-Ekotto admits it was agonising to watch the Blues come from behind to beat Bayern Munich on penalties, but accepts Spurs should have finished third after throwing away a 13-point lead they had over Arsenal.
    "I was about to make a prayer that (Didier) Drogba would miss his penalty," Assou-Ekotto said.
    "But I was happy for him. In the season we were 13 points in front of Arsenal and we can't think that we missed the Champions League because of Chelsea.
    "I think we made a few mistakes in the league last season because it is obviously not normal to finish behind Arsenal when we were 13 points ahead of them."

There is a feeling Villas-Boas will be more content when he finalises the make-up of his squad by the end of the week.
    Renowned for doing last-minute deals, Levy will be busy trying to seal agreements for the likes of Willian and possibly Leandro Damiao while also aiming to complete the sale of Luka Modric to Real Madrid.
    "The market can be frenetic in the last few days so anything can happen," Villas-Boas said.
    "We are still looking to strengthen our squad with a midfielder so let's do the deals that we have to do."

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 27-08-2012

Tevez targets long City stay
    Last Updated: August 27 2012, 8:26 BST

Carlos Tevez says he is "seriously happy" at Manchester City now and will be there for "a long time".

Carlos Tevez: Says all his problems with City are in the past

The controversial Argentinian, now firmly back in favour after last season's problems, capped another fine display with the late equaliser that secured a 2-2 draw for the Barclays Premier League champions at Liverpool on Sunday.
    It was the 28-year-old's 100th goal in English football and came straight after pledging his future to the club in a TV interview.
    Tevez, who first came to the English game with West Ham in 2006, has often given the impression he has been unsettled during his time in the country.

But he now says any issues, including the circumstances which led to his extraordinary self-imposed exile last season, are firmly in the past.
    Tevez told Sky Sports: "I return for a long time now. My family is here, my children are here. I am happy, my wife is happy, my children are happy now. No problem, I stay.
    "I stay, for now it is two years, the contract, but I am seriously happy."

When asked if he could stay beyond his current deal, he said: "Yes, no problem."
    It is a far cry from the situation last season when the player became embroiled in his infamous dispute with the club and manager Roberto Mancini.
    Tevez, who also revealed he has lost seven kilograms since last season, said: "Now is now, the problem last season is finished.
    "I am happy, Roberto is happy, the club is happy. The problem is finished."

Mancini is certainly pleased to have Tevez back onside after undoubtedly missing his world-class talents last year.
    Tevez has started the season superbly, also scoring in the Community Shield against Chelsea and the Premier League opening win over Southampton.
    Mancini said: "Carlos is in good form at this moment. I am happy for him. It is important he continues to play like he did in these two (league) games."

Uploads

Pulis: We need to freshen up squad
    Last Updated: August 27 2012, 8:47 BST

Stoke manager Tony Pulis hopes to bring several new players to the Britannia Stadium before Friday evening's transfer deadline.

Tony Pulis: Looking to make further signings

The Potters boss watched as American summer signing Geoff Cameron impressed during the goalless draw against Arsenal on Sunday and later revealed he is close to completing deals for at least two other players.
    United States and Rangers midfielder Maurice Edu is set to finalise his move to Stoke today, and should be joined this week by Tottenham's Tom Huddlestone.
    He said: "We'll hopefully know more about a couple of players on Monday, whether they're leaving or whether they're coming in.
    "I hope next week will be a busy week for us because we need to freshen it up.

"We've taken Maurice Edu. Hopefully that will be completed by Monday.
    "We have to do it [transfers] in a much more structured way this year.
    "We spent 23 years outside of the top flight and we're putting together an infrastructure that most of the Premier League clubs have."
    Pulis also admitted he is interested in bringing Tottenham defender Michael Dawson to the club.
    He said: "I'd love to take Dawson off Spurs but whether we could afford him or not I'm not sure. We will see what happens.
    "Huddlestone and Dawson and people like that would improve us and make us a better team, but whether you're Arsenal or Stoke City, you have a level to what you can spend and who you can bring in and we have to work to that level.

"If we have to bite the bullet a little bit we have to bite the bullet, but hopefully it will make this club better in future years."
    Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was left to rue a lack of cutting edge as his new-look strike force again failed to score.
    Lukas Podolski, Olivier Giroud and Gervinho were unable to make a breakthrough despite a dominant display in midfield led by Santi Cazorla, leaving Arsenal yet to open their goalscoring account after two Barclays Premier League games. They also drew 0-0 with Sunderland in their opener.
    Wenger put the slow start down to a lack of understanding in his attack.

He said: "Offensively we still have some work to do because we missed a bit of accuracy in the final third in our movement and in our passing.
    "We are used to finding each other in the final third and there's something missing but I still think we should have won the game 1-0.
    "[It is] an understanding because you have Cazorla and Podolski who one month ago, they didn't know each other, so that will come.
    "We have some work to do on the training ground but I believe we have the potential."

The Arsenal boss, who has been linked with a move for Newcastle midfielder Cheick Tiote as a replacement for Alex Song, denied he is interested in signing the Ivorian.
    Wenger said: "Tiote is a good player but he is not on his way to Arsenal."

Uploads

Spurs' Willian bid rejected

Ukraine giants Shakhtar Donetsk refuse to sell at 11.8million
    Last Updated: August 27, 2012 9:35am

Willian: Is keen to move to England but Tottenham will have to up their bid

Shakhtar Donetsk have rejected an 11.8million bid from Tottenham for Brazilian forward Willian.
    Sky Sports Chief News Reporter Bryan Swanson has spoken to Shakhtar's chief executive, who confirmed an offer has been rebuffed.
    Andre Villas-Boas is eager to bring in additional firepower before the close of the transfer window on Friday and has earmarked Willian as his number one target.
    The Portuguese tactician reportedly tried to sign the 24-year-old when Chelsea manager, with a sizeable offer rumoured to have been lodged last summer.

It is an interest Villas-Boas has resurrected upon moving to White Hart Lane, but it seems Tottenham will have to up the ante to land the player.
    Willian, who has won 11 caps for his country, spoke last week of a desire to quit Ukraine for the Premier League.
    "I don't regret having come here, but I regret what's been going on with this situation. Chelsea tried to sign me, now Tottenham, so I have to rethink," he said.
    During his time at Shakhtar, Willian has helped them to three domestic titles and UEFA Cup success since arriving from Corinthians in 2007.

Uploads

Modric Real Madrid deal agreed

Medical set for Monday; Spurs and Real to work closely in future
    Last Updated: August 27, 2012 10:37am

Luka Modric: Set to undergo a medical with Real Madrid on Monday

Tottenham have announced that a deal has been struck for Luka Modric to join Real Madrid and Sky Sports sources understand he will undergo a medical on Monday, while the two clubs have signed a 'partnership agreement'.
    Modric has blossomed into one of the Premier League's brightest stars since arriving from Dinamo Zagreb in 2008, making 160 appearances for Spurs and scoring 17 goals.

Chairman Daniel Levy had been keen to keep Modric at White Hart Lane and rejected interest from Chelsea last summer, but the Croatian again expressed a desire to leave during the current transfer window.
    An agreement has now been reached with Real Madrid and it is understood that Modric will now travel to have a medical with the Spanish club, before finalising a switch ahead of Friday's deadline.

He is expected to pen a five-year contract, while the deal agreed is understood to be worth at least 33million.
    Tottenham have also confirmed that a deal has been struck with Real which will see the clubs continue to work closely in the future.
    Real delight

"Luka has been a terrific player for us and, whilst we preferred not to part with him, we are pleased that it is to Real Madrid, a club with which we now look forward to sharing a long and productive partnership." "
    Daniel Levy Quotes of the week
    "The club can announce that it has signed a partnership agreement with Real Madrid FC and reached agreement for the transfer of Luka Modric, subject to medical, to the Spanish club," read a statement on Spurs' official website.

"The partnership agreement will see the two clubs working together in respect of players, coaching, best practices and commercial relationships."
    Real Madrid president Florentino Perez said: "The strong relationship and affinity between our two clubs has resulted in the cementing of a longer-term partnership and the successful transfer of Luka Modric.

"We are delighted to welcome Luka and look forward to working closely with Tottenham in the coming years."
    Levy added: "Luka has been a terrific player for us and, whilst we preferred not to part with him, we are pleased that it is to Real Madrid, a club with which we now look forward to sharing a long and productive partnership."

Uploads

Jol relaxed over Dembele

Fulham manager says Belgian would cost big money
    Last Updated: August 27, 2012 10:35am

Moussa Dembele: Playing a key role for Fulham and Martin Jol expects him to stay

Martin Jol has no worries about losing Moussa Dembele this week as he insists it would take a lot of money for Fulham to part with the Belgian.
    Dembele has reportedly attracted attention from other clubs after a series of impressive performances for the Cottagers over the past couple of years.

He has started the new season in fine style, posing plenty of problems for Manchester United at Old Trafford on Saturday in a 3-2 defeat.
    The way he played could lead to some late interest in the transfer market, but Jol doubts whether anyone will lodge a bid that would tempt Fulham to sell.

Dembele has always stressed that he is happy at Craven Cottage and remains a key part of Jol's plans, unlike somebody such as Clint Dempsey who has been left out so far this term after declaring a wish to move on.
    Asked about Dembele, Jol said: "He plays and he likes the club, so there's no problem. You have to pay a lot of money to get Dembele.
    "There won't be a lot of clubs putting that sort of money on the table, so I think we are fine."

Uploads

Wolves snap up Boukari

Togo international arrives at Molineux on four-year deal
    Last Updated: August 27, 2012 11:32am

Razak Boukari (Left): Has joined Wolves on four-year deal from Rennes

Wolves have signed winger Razak Boukari from Ligue 1 side Rennes on a four-year deal, the Midlands club have confirmed.
    The 25-year-old has agreed terms and completed a medical at Molineux to become manager Stale Solbakken's sixth signing of the summer.
    The Togo international scored seven goals in 37 appearances for previous club Rennes, helping his team to a sixth-placed finish in the French top-flight last season.

Boukari told the club's official website: "I am very happy to sign for Wolves. It will be a pleasure for me to play for the club and for the fans.
    "I know the club have good supporters and I have been to the stadium which I think is beautiful.
    "I know it is not the Premier League but that is not a problem because I just want to play football and hopefully I can do that at Wolves."
    Delighted

Boukari's signing follows that of Georg Margreitter, Frank Nouble, Bjorn Sigurdarson, Tongo Doumbia and Slawomir Peszko as Solbakken reshapes the Wolves squad.
    The manager added: "I am delighted to have signed Razak.
    "He is a winger with good speed who can play on both sides and give us more options in the wide areas.
    "We have been aware of him and know he has played a lot of games for Rennes and had some good seasons.
    "He had an injury last season but is fit now and ready to go and he will help us in what we are trying to do."

Uploads

Pedersen wants Rovers stay

Norwegian committed to club after hitting back at owners with goal
    Last Updated: August 27, 2012 12:04pm

Morten Gamst Pedersen: Scored Blackburn's winner against Leicester

Morten Gamst Pedersen says he remains committed to Blackburn after responding to criticism from the club's owners with the winning goal against Leicester on Saturday.
    The 30-year-old hit back at owner Shebby Singh after he branded the winger a "pensioner" by sealing Rovers' 2-1 victory with a curling shot in the 79th minute, then grabbing a walking stick from the club's kit man as part of his celebration.

But Pedersen, who has been at Ewood Park since joining from Tromso in 2004, has refused to become embroiled in a war of words and says he will do his talking on the pitch.
    He said: "It was a good celebration. When I arrived at Ipswich for the opening game, the walking stick was hanging on my peg in the dressing room!
    "I can't control what people are saying. But if I have a problem with someone, I will go and see them and sort it that way. It is easier than doing it through the media."
    Committed

The Norway international added: "I am not going to say all my thoughts because I think that is between me, the management and the owners.
    "I try to keep things away from the media in that way. Of course I read newspapers, people talk to me and you hear things. Sometimes you are wondering what is going on.

"But Sunday is eight years since I signed for Rovers. I said earlier I am committed to Blackburn.
    "I was one of the first people to say this. I have had offers to leave before but I have stayed.
    "The main thing is to get back to the Premier League. That is where we want to be."

Uploads

Martinez wants quick resolution

Spaniard hopes decision will be made soon amid Bayern talk
    Last Updated: August 27, 2012 12:51pm

Javi Martinez: Hoping for a quick resolution to his future amid Bayern talk

Athletic Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez hopes the club will reach an agreement with Bayern Munich over him joining the German giants in the near future.
    The Spain international has been linked with a move to the Allianz Arena since the end of last season, but there has been no agreement as yet.
    According to reports, Athletic have turned down a bid from Bayern as they hold out for 46million and the delay is frustrating Martinez.
    "Like I have said before, I just have to wait and I hope that there can be a quick resolution," the 23 year-old told Bild am Sonntag.
    "I cannot say much more about the situation. I am relaxed and I am training to maintain my fitness and I just hope that a decision can be made soon."
    Interest

Martinez has been surprised by the German media's interest in him since he was first reported to be on Bayern's radar.
    "I have spoken to the newspapaer from Germany as they focused on me and my life," he added.
    "It is crazy. It is a great feeling to know that the German people are interested in me."
    In recent weeks Martinez has made it clear that he wants to leave Athletic along with striker Fernando Llorente and the duo have lost the affection of the Basque club's supporters.

Uploads

Schalke snub Papadopoulos offers

Bundesliga club do not want to lose prized asset to Zenit
    Last Updated: August 27, 2012 7:18pm

Kyriakos Papadopoulos: Schalke sporting director Horst Heldt does not want to lose the defender

Zenit St Petersburg have reportedly bid 15million (12m) for Kyriakos Papadopoulos but Schalke do not want to sell.
    The German club's sporting director, Horst Heldt, has confirmed an offer has been received from Zenit for the defender and the Russian champions are said to be 'very persistent'.

But Schalke are determined to keep one of the club's prized assets in Gelsenkirchen ahead of Friday's transfer deadline.
    Heldt told Kicker: "They have made an offer and are being very persistent but we do not want to lose the player."
    He was speaking after Schalke opened their Bundesliga campaign with a 2-2 draw at Hannover on Sunday.
    'Stupid goals'

Having overturned a 1-0 deficit to lead 2-1 with 10 minutes to go, the visitors were frustrated not to have taken all three points.
    Midfielder Lewis Holtby, who grabbed Schalke's second goal after Klaas Jan Huntelaar had cancelled out Felipe's opener, said: "I am disappointed.
    "We were clearly the better team and controlled the game, making plenty of opportunities. But we conceded two stupid goals."

Adrian Nikci grabbed the leveller for Hannover, whose coach, Mirko Slomka, was happy his side emerged with a share of the spoils.
    "I am very happy with one point as it is a point gained," he told the club's official website.
    "Schalke were very dominant in the second half and I am pleased we hit back after the setback of going behind."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast