Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 30-08-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 30-08-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 30-08-2012

Rodgers sees Carroll as cover

Liverpool manager urges fringe men to decide if they want to play
    Last Updated: August 30, 2012 8:30am

Andy Carroll: A 35million cover player, according to Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers

Brendan Rodgers has described Andy Carroll as a 'cover player' but says Liverpool are in no position to have a 35million signing as their third-choice striker.
    Carroll joined the Reds in a big-money deal from Newcastle 18 months ago but his future has been the subject of intense speculation since Rodgers took charge of the club over the summer after it became clear he did not fit into the manager's preferred playing style.
    However, the situation has become complicated as Liverpool want a good price for a player they spent so much on, while Carroll appears keen to stay at Anfield and fight for a place in the team.

"You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see Andy's been a cover player... But, as a club, I'm not sure we are in a position to have 35million players as third-choice strikers. "
    Brendan Rodgers Quotes of the week
    Rodgers has nothing but praise for the 23-year-old's attitude but believes players who are not part of his plans should be looking to move on in search of more regular football.

"You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see Andy's been a cover player but he's been excellent in his attitude and acceptance of where he is at," Rodgers said.
    "But, as a club, I'm not sure we are in a position to have 35million players as third-choice strikers, or a winger on 5-6m a year.
    "There's still a wee bit of thinking time, and it's hard to walk away from here. The ones who want to play will probably look elsewhere, irrespective of finance, because that's their passion."
    Financial repair

Liverpool have been connected with moves for a number of players but Rodgers admits he cannot bring in reinforcements while there are so many fringe men reluctant to leave.
    He explained: "The club financially needs repair. So to sign the players linked, unfortunately I don't have the ability to do that - not in this window anyway.
    Live on Sky Sports

• vs
    • Liverpool v Arsenal

• September 2, 2012 1:00pm

"This is an incredible club and some players, even if you want to move them on, won't walk out.
    "I can only ever be straight with players.
    "I've made it clear my group will be made up of starting players, cover players who can come in, and development players who can progress.
    "If you feature outside of that I will tell you and then it is up to the player what they want - do they want to play football?"

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 30-08-2012

Tottenham target Remy

Levy travelling to try and finalise striker deal
    Last Updated: August 30, 2012 7:18am

Loic Remy: A target for Tottenham and Daniel Levy has travelled to France

Sky Sports understands that Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy will travel to Marseille on Thursday to try and sign Loic Remy.
    Spurs have money to spend in the final 48 hours of the transfer window after agreeing a deal earlier in the week to sell Luka Modric to Real Madrid.

The signing of Moussa Dembele from Fulham has already been completed and it is understood attention has now turned to bringing in Remy.
    The 25-year-old has emerged as a target despite Andre Villas-Boas declaring last week that he was happy with his striking options.
    Emmanuel Adebayor has signed a permanent contract at White Hart Lane this summer and Jermain Defoe remains a key part of Villas-Boas' plans, but it seems Remy could now be set to come in and provide further competition.

Remy has been linked with a move to the Premier League in the past after attracting interest with a series of impressive performances in Ligue 1.
    He has been with Marseille since August 2010, having previously had stints with Lyon, Lens and Nice.

Uploads

Ireland eyes new Villa deal

Midfielder eager to impress under Lambert
    Last Updated: August 30, 2012 9:09am

Stephen Ireland: Villa midfielder is hoping to earn a new contract with his displays this season

Stephen Ireland is hoping to secure a new contract at Aston Villa and believes he has been rejuvenated by the appointment of Paul Lambert as manager.
    The midfielder still has two years remaining of the deal he signed when he moved from Manchester City during the summer of 2010.
    But Ireland is keen to impress Lambert during the current campaign to secure his long-term future at Villa Park and is relishing being part of a diamond formation.

Ireland, who set up Villa's opening two goals in their midweek 3-0 Capital One Cup triumph over Tranmere, said: "I am enjoying playing under Paul Lambert, absolutely. He is a really good guy and fair and honest.
    "He definitely knows what he is doing and talking about and he has been really impressive to me and I'm hoping I can play under him for as long as possible.
    "At the end of this season I will have 12 months left on my contract so I'm hoping I can earn a new contract here and prove myself to him with a good consistent run of form."

Stephen Ireland Quotes of the week

"At the end of this season I will have 12 months left on my contract so I'm hoping I can earn a new contract here and prove myself to him with a good consistent run of form.
    "That is one if my goals this season. I want to play as consistently as I can and I'm hoping with that we can have talks and I can extend my contract.
    "But I've got to let my football do the talking and it's up to the chairman [Randy Lerner] and the manager."
    Unbelievable

Ireland is hoping he can help solve Villa's shortage of goals - they have netted just one in the opening two Premier League games - by linking up effectively with striker Darren Bent.
    He said: "Last season I was in many different positions and I wasn't able to get into the final third as much as I would have liked.
    "It was completely understandable with the way the squad was and injuries and Darren also got injured which didn't help.

"But I feel my job in in the team now is to create as many chances as I can for him because nine out of 10 he is going to finish.
    "He is a world-class striker and his finishing is unbelievable. If I can create chances for him, I know he is going to score.
    "Every time I got the ball against Tranmere, I was looking for him because his movement is brilliant and it was the same with Andreas [Weimann]."

Lambert is understood to be keen to bring in two new strikers before the transfer window shuts, with Genk forward Christian Benteke one confirmed target.
    Villa are also looking long term and are believed to be keen on Chesterfield's 21-year-old striker Jordan Bowery, while Charlton midfielder Dale Stephens is also on Lambert's radar.

Uploads

Stoke get Edu green light

Rangers midfielder poised to complete move to Potters
    Last Updated: August 30, 2012 9:31am

Maurice Edu: Set to finalise his move to Stoke after securing work permit

Stoke are poised to sign Rangers midfielder Maurice Edu after being given permission to finalise his work permit application.
    The United States international has been a long-standing target of Potters boss Tony Pulis and last weekend agreed terms on a three-year deal and passed a medical.

The only hold-up was his work permit and, with the club confirming on their official website on Thursday morning that the Football Association have given approval for them to proceed with that, the move looks set to go through.

However, Edu is unlikely to be available for the weekend clash with Wigan owing to the timescales involved.
    Edu, who joined Rangers from Toronto FC four seasons ago, has been looking to leave Ibrox following their demotion to the Third Division.
    The American will become Stoke's fourth signing of the summer following the arrivals of Geoff Cameron, Jamie Ness and Michael Kightly.

Uploads

Dembele raring to go at Spurs
    Last Updated: August 30 2012, 7:58 BST

Mousa Dembele cannot wait to get started at Tottenham after joining the north London club from Fulham in a move which cast further doubt on the future of Rafael van der Vaart.

Mousa Dembele: Joins Spurs on five-year deal

Spurs and Fulham confirmed the transfer of Dembele for a fee understood to be in the region of 15million on Thursday after the player passed a medical and agreed a five-year contract.
    "I'm happy to join Spurs. It's a fantastic club," the 25-year-old Belgium midfielder said on his new club's official website.
    "You can see over the last few years that Spurs have played well. Everybody knows it's a good team and a good club and that's why I wanted to come here.

"The club have plans to do lots of good things and that's why I want to be a part of it."
    Dembele is particularly looking forward to linking up with compatriot and fellow new boy Jan Vertonghen, who moved to White Hart Lane from Ajax last month.
    "I know Jan from when I was 10 years old. We played together then," Dembele added. "I know him well. He's a great guy and he's said a lot of good things about this club.

"He says there are friendly people here and, for me, that's very important - to feel great somewhere. I'm sure I will here."
    The news of Dembele's arrival followed a declaration by Hamburg that they would do everything possible to re-sign Van der Vaart before the transfer window closed.
    The Holland forward has been strongly linked with a return to his former club but the Bundesliga side's chairman, Carl-Edgar Jarchow, has admitted time was running out to convince Spurs to sell.

"There is not a lot of time - it is really up to Tottenham Hotspur," he told Deutsche Presse-Agentur.
    "If we have a chance to sign him, we will do everything we can to make that happen."

Uploads

Berbatov heading for Fulham?
    Last Updated: August 30 2012, 0:30 BST

Juventus director general Giuseppe Marotta has revealed Dimitar Berbatov will not be joining the Italian champions, claiming the Manchester United striker is on the verge of signing for Fulham.

Berbatov: Seemingly won't be heading to Italy

The 31-year-old Bulgarian looked set for a switch to Fiorentina earlier on Wednesday, having agreed terms with the Viola and been asked to head to Florence for a medical.
    However, Berbatov never arrived in Italy, prompting Fiorentina to accuse Serie A rivals Juve of hijacking the deal, only for the player to reportedly decide he wants to remain in England.
    Marotta insisted Juve had "acted with the maximum fairness and transparency" towards Fiorentina, who earlier accused the Turin club of scuppering their deal for Berbatov with "reckless and arrogant actions".

"We have much to discuss with Fiorentina," Marotta said to Sky Sport Italia.
    "We have acted with the maximum fairness and transparency with regard to the market dynamics.
    "I reject the allegations from Fiorentina. We entered into the business over Berbatov when we heard that he had refused Fiorentina, and in the meantime there was a proposal by Fulham.

"We made our own, then the player said he preferred to stay in England for family reasons. It was not a rejection.
    "We wanted to take advantage of an opportunity that had appeared to us in the market. Many teams were following the player."
    A statement from Fiorentina earlier read: "ACF Fiorentina announces that the acquisition of Dimitar Berbatov finally fell through after an agreement had been reached with Manchester United [exchange of contract, the first instalment of the consideration paid and surety for the second instalment already signed] and after it had reached a verbal understanding with the player on his contract.

"During today, the English club granted its affiliated written permission for the player to travel to Florence for a medical and to sign the contract.
    "[We thought] the player had embarked, accompanied by his attorney, on a flight - tickets paid for by Fiorentina - to Florence.
    "But the player never arrived in Florence....because of reckless and arrogant actions of other companies, which have nothing to do with the values of honesty, fair play and ethics of sport and that lie beyond the boundaries of loyalty.
    "As for the player, despite his characteristics and his technical merit, at this point we are happy that he did not come to Fiorentina. He did not deserve our city and our shirt and the values it represents."

Berbatov has scored 48 league goals at United, helping them to two Premier League titles, but his Old Trafford future has been in doubt since he was left out of the squad for the 2010-11 Champions League final against Barcelona at Wembley.
    Despite slipping down the pecking order last year he reminded any potential suitors of his goalscoring class with a hat-trick against Wigan on Boxing Day, before adding two more in the unexpected home defeat to Blackburn five days later.
    Last month he admitted he was resigned to leaving the club this summer, saying it would be "better for everyone" if he exited Old Trafford.

Uploads

Fulham target happy to stay put

Anderlecht striker does not want to rush into move
    Last Updated: August 30, 2012 1:02pm

Dieumerci Mbokani: Happy to stay at Anderlecht

Anderlecht man Dieumerci Mbokani insists he is happy at the Belgian club amid speculation Fulham boss Martin Jol has cooled his interest in the striker.
    Reports suggest Jol was put off the 26-year-old by the 20million Anderlecht reportedly want in exchange for his signature.
    The Cottagers are instead thought to be closing on out-of-favour Manchester United frontman Dimitar Berbatov.

DR Congo international Mbokani, who has also been linked with Juventus, says he is content to stay at Anderlecht and is wary of joining the wrong club after an unsuccessful spell at Monaco.
    He said: "I am very happy with Anderlecht. I am happy to be in the Champions League and test myself on the biggest stage.
    "I do not want to make the mistake I made by going to Monaco, unless there is a club that I can't refuse."

Uploads

Walcott 'not obsessed by money'

Wenger confident forward 'loves' Arsenal as talks continue
    Last Updated: August 30, 2012 1:45pm

Theo Walcott: It is understood a short-term agreement is in place which will mean he will not be sold

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is confident Theo Walcott 'loves the club' and is 'not obsessed by money' as negotiations continue over the England international's future.
    Earlier this week, it was reported the forward had rejected a contract extension at Emirates Stadium after entering the final year of his existing deal.

The development sparked speculation Walcott, who is rumoured to want 75,000-a-week in wages, could be sold to Liverpool or Manchester City before Friday's transfer deadline.
    But a short-term agreement is understood to be in place which will ensure the former Southampton player will not leave in the current window and Wenger remains relaxed.
    The Gunners boss said at a press conference ahead of Sunday's trip to Liverpool: "Theo has one year to go. We want to extend his contract. I think Theo loves the club.

"He is not obsessed by money, there is just a little difference [in the negotiations]."
    Arsenal have already sold Robin van Persie and Alex Song to Manchester United and Barcelona, respectively, and the possible departure of Walcott would again raise questions.
    Wenger, though, has brought in Lukas Podolski, Olivier Giroud and Santi Cazorla and he has always maintained his faith in his new-look squad.