Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 02-09-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 02-09-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 02-09-2012

Owen still searching for club

The summer transfer window closed without Michael Owen finding a new club, but he is optimistic regarding his chances of securing a deal somewhere.

Michael Owen: Still hoping to find himself a new club

As a free agent, the 32-year-old striker is not bound by the restrictions of deadline day and could sign a contract with a new employer at any stage.
    The former Liverpool and Manchester United striker was expected to be offered an opportunity to remain in the Premier League by someone, with Stoke and Everton reported to be keen.

Owen has, however, been left on the shelf for now, with his injury troubles of the past marking him out as something of a gamble.
    He is confident of finding something, though, and has suggested that negotiations with potential suitors will be easier now that the distraction of the transfer window has passed.
    Owen posted on his Twitter account: "Nothing to confirm just yet, will be an interesting few days now that the transfer window is closed."

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 02-09-2012

Hughes admits Green could go

Queens Park Rangers boss Mark Hughes claims he would not stand in Robert Green's way if the keeper wanted to leave the club in January.

Robert Green: The arrival of Julio Cesar at QPR could force him down pecking order

The England international only completed a switch to Loftus Road earlier this summer, linking up with QPR as a free agent after seeing his deal run down at West Ham.
    He was quickly installed as Hughes' number one, but has now seen that position come under threat from another new arrival.
    Brazilian shot-stopper Julio Cesar has been snapped up from Inter Milan and a man with a UEFA Champions League winners' medal to his name is expected to be handed an immediate starting berth.

That will leave Green benched just a matter of weeks into his QPR career, and Hughes appreciates that the 32-year-old may want to go in search of regular games elsewhere.
    He said: "That isn't my concern. That may concern Rob in terms of his international standing but from my point of view I have got to make sure we are strong as a club.

"If in the future any of my keepers came to me and said they felt their future lay elsewhere then we can have a conversation about that and make a decision that benefitted everyone.
    "But at the moment it's early days and the challenge is there for all my keepers.
    "It's a difficult situation for Rob but the opportunity to bring in Julio Cesar came very quickly and it's one that we felt as a club we couldn't ignore.

"On a football level and a business level, we needed to do it because you don't get opportunities like that very often."

Uploads

Lennon signs Spurs extension

Aaron Lennon has penned a contract extension at Tottenham, with fresh terms set to keep him at White Hart Lane until 2016.

Aaron Lennon: Has committed his future to Tottenham

The England international has spent the last seven years with Spurs, having moved to North London from Leeds in July 2005.
    He has made well over 250 appearances for the club during his time in the capital and has tasted success in the 2008 League Cup and won 19 international caps.

There was some suggestion during the summer transfer window that Lennon could be on his way out of Tottenham, with Andre Villas-Boas keen to put his own stamp on the squad he inherited from Harry Redknapp.
    The Portuguese tactician has, however, tied the 25-year-old winger down on a new deal.

"We are delighted to announce that Aaron Lennon has signed a new contract until 2016," read a statement on the club's official website.
    "The winger joined us from Leeds in July 2005 and, at the age of 25, has already made 270 First Team appearances in our colours, scoring 25 goals."

Uploads

David deal falls through

Fulham missed out on the signing of Chris David on deadline day after failing to reach an agreement for the FC Twente forward.

Fulham didn't recruit Chris David

The Cottagers were thought to have completed the signing of David on Friday night as he travelled to West London to undergo a medical and reports from Twente indicated that he had joined Fulham.
    However, there was no official confirmation from the Premier League club forthcoming - and communications director Sarah Brookes has now said an agreement was not reached.

David, 19, is rated as one of the most exciting prospects in Dutch football and has played international football at youth level, while Ajax were also thought to be keen on signing him.
    Fulham did manage to bring in Dimitar Berbatov, Kieran Richardson and Ashkan Dejagah on Friday, but saw Clint Dempsey leave for Tottenham.

Uploads

Del Piero no closer to move
    Last Updated: September 2 2012, 9:39 BST

Alessandro Del Piero's proposed move to Sydney FC remains in the balance with the Italian striker's manager making it clear nothing is decided yet.

Alessandro Del Piero: Talking to Sydney FC

Sydney FC announced on Friday that Del Piero had "agreed to finalise details on a contract with the Sky Blues", as chief executive Tony Pignata and Australian player agent Lou Sticca flew out to Italy to secure the 37-year-old's signature.
    But Del Piero's manager, his brother Stefano, believes it is premature to consider the deal as complete, despite making it clear he considers Sydney FC's offer as a "serious" one.

"Obviously things were misinterpreted," Stefano Del Piero told Italian news agency ANSA. "We still have to properly analyse the project.
    "(The offer) has not left Alessandro indifferent, we're talking about a two-year deal.
    "It's a serious offer but that doesn't mean everything's decided."
    Swiss Super League club Sion believed they were close to luring Del Piero to play for them last week but were eventually turned down by the former Juventus forward.

Del Piero had reportedly also attracted interest from Celtic and Tottenham but Sydney FC have now seemingly moved to the front of the queue.
    Pignata and Sticca had hoped to have the deal with Del Piero confirmed by Monday.
    However, the player's brother has cautioned there is still some work to do before the Italian veteran commits to playing in the A-League.
    "We are still seriously analysing Sydney's offer but we haven't decided anything yet," he said.

"And it's too early to say we will have decided by Monday."

Del Piero is understood to be interested in the possibility of playing his final season in the Australian summer rather than a European winter.
    The forward played 705 games for Juventus in 19 seasons, scoring 289 goals.
    Del Piero also earned 91 caps for Italy and scored 27 international goals.

Uploads

Doyle committed to Wolves
    Last Updated: September 2 2012, 12:36 BST

Wolves forward Kevin Doyle claims it would have been "wrong" for him to seek a move this summer as he stressed his commitment to the club.

Kevin Doyle: Focused on playing for Wolves

The Republic of Ireland international was one of the players expected to leave Molineux following the club's relegation last season after emerging as a target for Everton.

29. Kevin Doyle

Appearances 6 (0)
    Goals 1
    Assists 0
    Yellows 0
    Reds 0
    *Current Season

But the 28-year-old, who also remained at Reading for a season following their relegation in 2008, feels he owed Wolves after they had backed him with a new contract.
    Wolves boss Stale Solbakken recently revealed he was proud of Doyle for not expressed the desire to leave in the summer and the forward insists his only aim is a successful campaign.
    "I'm really looking forward to the season now," Doyle told the club's official website.

"I signed a contract here last year for four years and it would have been wrong of me to be looking around somewhere else.
    "I committed to the club last year and they committed to me as well and I'm looking forward to this exciting challenge.
    "It's about me putting that out on the pitch as well, less talking more action, and hopefully we will have a successful season."

Uploads

Coleman backing for Ramsey
    Last Updated: September 2 2012, 12:26 BST

Wales boss Chris Coleman has backed midfielder Aaron Ramsey to secure regular first-team football for Arsenal amid talks he may be loaned out.

Aaron Ramsey: Set for contract talks with Arsenal

Coleman has faith in the talented 21-year-old, who captains his Welsh side, to prove himself at the very top.

16. Aaron Ramsey

Appearances 4 (4)
    Goals 1
    Assists 0
    Yellows 1
    Reds 0
    *Current Season

Ramsey is set for talks over an improved deal at Arsenal that will keep him there until 2016 after other star players' contracts were allowed to run down.
    Coleman said: "I heard rumours that he could go out on loan but he shouldn't be thinking about anything other than Arsenal because he is good enough to play for them."
    Arsenal are said to be impressed by the way Ramsey has battled back from a horrific leg break at Stoke in 2010 since which he has become Welsh captain.

Uploads

Celtic swoop for Nouioui
    Last Updated: September 2 2012, 14:31 BST

Tunisia international Lassad Nouioui has joined Celtic on a two-year deal, subject to international clearance, the Parkhead club have announced.

Lassad Nouioui: Latest addition to Hoops squad

The 26-year-old is the most recent addition to Neil Lennon's squad, following the arrival of defender Efe Ambrose, striker Miku Fedor and goalkeeper Lubos Kamenar.
    Nouioui, who spent the last three years with Spanish side Deportivo La Coruna, told the club's official website: "I'm absolutely delighted to sign for Celtic.

"Celtic is a huge club with a magnificent history and a fantastic support. I know all about the wonderful atmosphere at Celtic Park and I can't wait to play there.
    "I know that Celtic already has a great squad of players and I'm very much looking forward to joining up with my team-mates. And I hope to play my part in bringing success to the club.
    "And, of course, I'm also looking to competing in the Champions League with such a great football club."

Uploads

Sunderland 'want Michael Owen'
    Last Updated: September 2 2012, 12:31 BST

Sunderland have expressed an interest in signing former Newcastle striker Michael Owen, Press Association Sport understands.

Michael Owen: Target for Sunderland

The Black Cats have made initial contact with the 32-year-old free agent as manager Martin O'Neill attempted to boost his striking options with the summer transfer window drawing to a close.
    However, it is understood that conversation is yet to be followed up and that long-time admirers Stoke remain more likely to make the decisive move.
    Owen, who was released by Manchester United at the end of last season, has indicated he wants to stay in the Barclays Premier League despite receiving offers from Europe, and he has been linked with a series of clubs, including Everton, Liverpool and West Ham as well as the Potters and Sunderland.

He spent four years in the north-east after Newcastle made him their record signing when they pulled off what looked like a sensational coup by bringing him back to England from Real Madrid in August 2005.
    However, injuries, and in particular the knee ligament damage he suffered on England duty at the 2006 World Cup finals, severely limited his contribution.
    Amid a chaotic period in the club's history, he turned down the offer of a contract extension at St James' Park and ultimately was unable to prevent the club slipping out of the top flight at the end of the 2008-09 season, after which he was part of a player exodus.

O'Neill worked hard all summer to strengthen his attacking options, investing heavily in the services of strikers Steven Fletcher, who scored both goals in yesterday's 2-2 draw at Swansea, and Louis Saha as well as winger Adam Johnson.
    However, Fraizer Campbell and youngsters Ji Dong-won, Connor Wickham and Ryan Noble represent the back-up and the temptation to add experience is perhaps understandable.

Uploads

Allegri rejects rift rumours
    Last Updated: September 2 2012, 10:54 BST

Massimiliano Allegri moved to quash rumours of a rift with AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani after masterminding a 3-1 victory at Bologna last night.

Massimiliano Allegri: Rejects talk of problems

Reports in Italy had suggested that the Rossoneri coach was dissatisfied with the transfer dealings conducted by his superior, with Galliani said to be equally unhappy with last weekend's opening-day defeat to Sampdoria.
    But having witnessed a classy hat-trick from Giampaolo Pazzini, recruited from rivals Inter Milan, and solid performances from summer signings Bojan Krkic and Cristian Zapata, Allegri maintained that no bad blood exists between the touchline and the boardroom.
    He told acmilan.com: "Galliani was happy today and I believe there is a misunderstanding of what has been said.

"What Galliani told me was no different from what he said 10 days ago, that we are still Milan but we are a young team that needs to improve quickly and find a bit of luck.
    "Tonight we won and there are no problems between Galliani and I.
    "It's a good squad that can improve. I am very happy for them, especially with the scepticism surrounding the club.
    "We have to improve and we hope to do so as soon as possible. I thank the president for the players he has given me."
    Galliani himself told the club's website: "I'm very happy for Pazzini, because a hat-trick is a big achievement on your full debut.
    "Maybe we've found the new (Filippo) Inzaghi? I can see they have a few characteristics in common."

Pazzini added: "I really wanted to play well and score goals, which I did, and I'm happy we won.
    "I need to improve physically but tonight was a confidence boost for someone like me who did not even play in any friendlies this summer.
    "When I arrived I thought the group seemed a little unmotivated but we all have a great desire to do well."
    The Rossoblu registered their only goal through Alessandro Diamanti, who responded to Pazzini's early penalty by slotting home one of his own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast