Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 04-09-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 04-09-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 04-09-2012

Zenit spend 70m on Hulk and Witsel

Zenit St Petersburg have signed highly-rated Brazilian forward Hulk from FC Porto on a five-year contract.

Hulk: Signs five-year deal with Zenit
    The Russian giants also managed to secure the services Axel Witsel for a reported 30million from Benfica on a five-year deal.
    Hulk is believed to be a long-time target of Chelsea but the Russian giants have ended speculation linking him with a Stamford Bridge move after confirming their swoop for the forward on their official website on Monday evening.
    The club did not disclose the transfer fee but reports claim they have parted with 50million (39.6m) to secure the frontman.
    The 26-year-old made a huge impact at Porto after joining from Tokyo Verdy in 2008.

But the Brazil international had long been linked with a new challenge, with his agent admitting earlier in the summer that the "time was right" for the player to move on.
    Last week, Porto president Pinto da Costa revealed he had turned down an offer worth 50m from Zenit for the powerful forward, but a deal has now been reached by the two clubs.

Hulk scored 21 goals in all competitions last season and played a crucial role in Porto's Europa League title-winning campaign in 2010-11.
    Belgian international Witsel, 23, only joined the Portuguese side in 2011 from his hometown club Standard Liege, where he started his career in 2006.
    He will link up with fellow new signing Hulk as the Russian champions prepare for the Champions League this season in Group C against AC Milan, Anderlecht and Malaga.

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 04-09-2012

Spurs made late Berbatov bid

Tottenham made a last-ditch attempt to re-sign Dimitar Berbatov on transfer deadline day, according to the Bulgarian's agent.

Dimitar Berbatov: Joined Fulham on deadline day
    Berbatov moved from Manchester United to Fulham for 5million on Friday, but only after Sir Alex Ferguson had hinted he could be bound for White Hart Lane.
    Emil Danchev, the 31-year-old's representative, has revealed there was interest from Spurs, who signed Berbatov from Bayer Leverkusen in 2006 before selling him to United for 19.9million profit two years later.

"We were in touch with Tottenham at the last moment," Danchev told reporters at a press conference with Berbatov held in Sofia.
    Berbatov provoked the ire of Fiorentina and Juventus for allegedly breaking promises to join both Serie A clubs in favour of staying in the Barclays Premier League.
    Danchev defended Berbatov and revealed there was considerable interest in from various clubs.
    "I cannot make promises on behalf of my client whoever they might be because my work principle is to create opportunities and options," he said.
    "The choice belongs to the person who makes the decision. We discussed all three options. Nobody promised anybody anything.

"Fiorentina had a desire to get Dimitar to sign with them. We went as far as negotiating all conditions.
    "But other than that, I've also spoken with three Turkish clubs, three Italian clubs, three English clubs, and three German clubs."
    Fulham duo Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey moved to White Hart Lane last week, the latter a late deadline-day transfer completed once interest from Liverpool had waned.
    Cottagers boss Martin Jol has revealed that Berbatov was looking forward to playing alongside Dembele, only to discover that he had been sold to Tottenham.

Uploads

Deschamps fears for Lloris
    Last Updated: September 4 2012, 8:28 BST

France manager Didier Deschamps has expressed his concern that Hugo Lloris could fail to oust Brad Friedel as Tottenham No 1.

Didier Deschamps: Surprised by AVB's comments
    The France captain made a transfer deadline-day switch from Lyon to White Hart Lane as part of Spurs' late spending spree.
    But Friedel produced an impressive display against Norwich on Saturday that brought praise from his manager Andre Villas-Boas - and a warning for Lloris.
    "When you transfer it's not written in the contract that you have to play," said Villas-Boas.

"He has to compete against three good goalkeepers and at the moment Brad is doing extremely well. He deserves to be playing and he'll continue to do so."
    Those remarks have had reverberations across the channel with Deschamps curious as to the future role at Spurs for the France No 1.
    Although the newly-appointed boss of Les Bleus does not want to create a problem from nothing, he admits it could soon be something he needs to think about.

"This is not the case today. I'm not going to create a problem that I don't have today," said Deschamps, speaking at Clairefontaine on Monday.
    "But if it happens, it deserves consideration."
    He added: "You all know the value of Hugo. I do not know what will happen but I hope everything will go well for him.
    "I saw what Villas-Boas said. It surprised me. I hope it will go well for him."

Uploads

Dempsey disappointed by portrayal
    Last Updated: September 4 2012, 7:45 BST

Clint Dempsey is disappointed by the way his exit from Fulham played out as he felt he had always been clear about his ambitions.

Clint Dempsey: Ambitious
    The United States international made a transfer deadline-day move to Tottenham, bringing to an end a long-running saga regarding his future.
    Liverpool had courted the player for much of the summer with Fulham making a formal complaint to the Premier League about what they claimed was an illegal approach for Dempsey from the Anfield club.

12 Stoke City 3
    13 Sunderland 2
    14 Tottenham 2
    15 Norwich 2
    16 Reading 1

• last updated 02/09 17:58

There were even reports that the 29-year-old had effectively gone on strike and the forward did not appear in either of the Cottagers' opening two fixtures of the season.
    Dempsey said: "I'm disappointed in the way I was portrayed, in the end, with Fulham.
    "I always wanted to play at the highest level possible. That was never a secret. That's something I always said.
    "It would be a dream of mine to play Champions League and you want to play on the best team possible to try to get there.

"That's definitely a team with a lot of quality in it, but now it's all about the team that I'm with."
    He added: "There were some things that were said that weren't true.
    "That's in the past now. It's about looking toward the future and like I said, I'm looking forward to playing with Tottenham. It's a great team, a great club.

"I want to thank the fans of Fulham. It's been five great years.
    "Some of my best memories in football have been there. I want to thank the chairman for talking a chance on me from MLS and I wish them well in the future."

Uploads

Owen hints at decision on future
    Last Updated: September 4 2012, 6:37 BST

Former Liverpool and England striker Michael Owen could announce his next club on Wednesday.

Michael Owen: Set to reveal his new club
    The 32-year-old, a free agent following his release by Manchester United at the end of last season, has been linked with a return to Anfield as well as with Stoke, Everton and Sunderland.
    The Liverpool rumours have grown since Friday following the club's failure to sign a new striker on transfer deadline day and remarks from manager Brendan Rodgers suggesting he is receptive to the idea.

Owen has been in discussions with unnamed clubs and fuelled speculation a decision might be imminent by tweeting a picture of his boots and shin pads with the message: "The tools of my trade are stacked and ready to go!"
    After Joey Barton responded with, "Where u off mate?", Owen eventually replied with: "I will tell you on Wednesday!"

Uploads

Nunez suffers serious injury

Elland Road outcast expected to be out for the long term
    Last Updated: September 4, 2012 9:32am

Ramon Nunez: Stretchered off during Leeds' development squad's 3-1 win over Wigan

Leeds United look unlikely to get Ramon Nunez off their books any time soon after he suffered a seemingly serious injury.
    The Honduras international was at the end of last season deemed surplus to requirements by boss Neil Warnock and placed on the transfer list.
    However, he remains at Elland Road after failing to attract any interest during the summer transfer window.

And after being stretchered off during Leeds' development squad's 3-1 win over their Wigan counterparts with a cruciate ligament injury, an exit is increasingly unlikely.
    Under 21s coach Neil Redfearn told Leeds' official website: "It didn't look good and when a player goes down like that your initial reaction is that it could be long-term.
    "If that's the case, it's a shame for him but he will be assessed as to what the extent is before we find out."

Uploads

Celtic manager Neil Lennon is not troubled by Levante's claims to Lassad Nouioui
    Last Updated: September 4, 2012 12:12pm

Lassad Nouioui: Signed a two-year deal with Celtic but Levante say he signed a contract with them

Neil Lennon is adamant 'everything is above board' regarding Celtic's signing of Lassad Nouioui following a protest from Levante.
    Nouioui joined Celtic on a two-year contract over the weekend, but Spanish side Levante subsequently claimed that the Tunisian striker had already signed a deal with them.
    Levante stated they would consider reporting the matter to FIFA, but Bhoys boss Lennon is unconcerned about the situation.

"There is nothing really to say," Lennon told Sky Sports News at Parkhead to publicise a cycle ride for former team-mate Stiliyan Petrov in support of leukaemia and Lymphoma research.
    "He is a Celtic player who did his medical yesterday and he is training this morning at Lennoxtown with the rest of the players who are here and we are very pleased to have him.

"When the story broke about Levante we were involved in the game (against Hibernian on Saturday) but having spoken to Peter (Lawwell, Celtic chief executive) and his (Lassad's) advisors everything is above board, it is the way we do our business anyway.
    "Whether another agent got involved I don't know, sometimes these people do get involved and sort of muddy the water a little bit but as far as we are concerned everything was done the right way.
    "I don't know what repercussions there can be, certainly not on our part anyway. I am assuming that the player is aware of the fuss."

Uploads

Hammers want Carroll stay

Gold optimistic striker will not be recalled to Anfield
    Last Updated: September 4, 2012 1:17pm

Andy Carroll: Liverpool are reported to want the striker back in January after loaning him to West Ham

Liverpool are believed to have the option to recall Andy Carroll in January but West Ham United are hopeful of keeping the England international until the end of the campaign.
    The 23-year-old striker last week moved to Upton Park on a season-long loan deal after Brendan Rodgers seemingly decided he did not fit into his plans at Anfield.

But Liverpool's striker crisis, which has come as a result of a failure to sign anyone on transfer deadline, has led to reports they will want Carroll back in the New Year.
    It is understood the loan of the 35million January 2011 signing from Newcastle can be cancelled, however, West Ham are optimistic that will not be the case.

West Ham co-chairman David Gold said on Twitter: "The exact terms of Carroll's year-long loan deal are subject to a confidentiality agreement but we are hopeful he will be with us the whole season."
    With Carroll, who injured his hamstring on his West Ham debut, gone until at least January and no replacement signed before the transfer deadline passed, Rodgers has been linked with a host of free agents.

Although a move for former Anfield hero Michael Owen now appears to be a non-starter, rumours still persist the likes of Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka could return to the Premier League.

Uploads

Hibernian teenager Sam Stanton has signed a new three-year contract
    Last Updated: September 4, 2012 2:21pm

Promising Hibs youngster Sam Stanton has committed his future to the club by signing a new three-year contract.
    The 18-year-old made his debut at the start of the year and has forced his way into Pat Fenlon's first-team plans with some impressive cameos.
    When quizzed on his future at Easter Road, Stanton revealed he once rejected the advances of Manchester United in order to stay in Scotland.
    Stanton said: "They asked me down for a trial when I was with Hutchie Vale just before I came to Hibs. I didn't go, partly because I'm a Hibs fan and partly because I was so young. Then I came to Hibs when I was 12 and really enjoyed it, so I made the right choice.

"Signing this contract is a massive achievement for me and I'm delighted. Hopefully I can enjoy a good few years here with Hibs.
    "I've been working hard in the gym after training and I've also been doing some boxing sessions.
    "Playing first-team football is a big difference to playing for the youth team because of the level of physicality. But I'm growing all the time and I feel I'm getting stronger, so hopefully I'll get there soon."

Uploads

PSG: We don't need Ronaldo
    Last Updated: September 4 2012, 14:13 BST

Paris St Germain have distanced themselves from the possibility of a move for Real Madrid striker Cristiano Ronaldo.

Cristiano Ronaldo: 'Sad' at Real Madrid
    The Portugal captain whipped up a media storm at the weekend when he suggested he was unhappy with life with the Spanish champions, and a who's who of Europe's big-hitters were quickly touted as possible suitors.
    PSG were put alongside the two Manchester clubs and Chelsea as being interested in his signature, but according to sporting director Leonardo, his club are not looking to recruit the 27-year-old.

The former Brazil international also implied current forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic is a better player than Ronaldo, telling radio station RMC: "We're very happy with our transfer market dealings. Many things are said about PSG - too many, maybe.
    "Ronaldo is a Real Madrid player. We don't talk about others teams' players - that's respect.
    "Ibrahimovic is the best striker in the world. So why hire Ronaldo? Zlatan is unique. When we talk about the best players, there is Ronaldo and Messi - but they are not strikers. The best striker, that's Zlatan."

Meanwhile, Ronaldo's Real Madrid team-mate Alvaro Arbeloa has promised to support the Portuguese striker.
    Ronaldo refused to celebrate his two goals in a 3-0 victory over Granada on Sunday, and later admitted that he was feeling "sad" for "professional" reasons.

But Merengues defender Arbeloa says that the squad knew nothing about the 27-year-old's malaise prior to his announcement.
    Quoted in Marca, Arbeloa told reporters at the Spanish national team's base in Las Rozas: "He just needs more affection from everybody, I don't know, that's all we can give him.

"Everybody has the right to be sad, he's a person just like anyone else.

"He doesn't share the problems of most Spanish people but it's perfectly reasonable that he can be sad.
    "When Cristiano says (that he's sad) then perhaps it makes more of an impression. We're all going to help him because he is our friend.

"I hope the fans haven't taken his words the wrong way. The media have great power and people are influenced by what they hear and read.
    "He knows that he's with the best team and hopefully he'll stay here until he retires.
    "And if the fans keep believing in him, he'll be remembered as a club icon. We will help him."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast