Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 12-09-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 12-09-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 12-09-2012

Fulham snap up Karagounis

Fulham have signed Greece captain Giorgos Karagounis on a deal to the end of the season.

Giorgos Karagounis: Has joined Fulham
    The 35-year-old midfielder was a free agent after leaving Panathinaikos at the end of the 2011-12 campaign - he made 380 appearances for the club in a couple of spells.
    Karagounis was a member of the Greek team which won the 2004 European Championship in Portugal and he became their joint-highest capped player in June when he appeared for the 120th time during Euro 2012.

He said: "I'm delighted to have signed for Fulham and I am excited by a new challenge in England and the Barclays Premier League.
    "I'm looking forward to working under Martin Jol and playing alongside some fantastic players at this club."
    Jol said: "Giorgos has a wealth of club and international experience and I'm happy that he's joined us for this season.
    "He's been an influential player for his club sides and is a renowned player in world football as he's about to become the most-capped player for Greece. He brings many certain qualities to our squad."

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 12-09-2012

Collins wants fans to be patient
    Last Updated: September 12 2012, 8:53 BST

John Collins has called for supporters to be patient with manager Craig Levein despite Scotland's slow start to their 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign.

Craig Levein: Under pressure
    Boos rang around Hampden Park last night as Levein's side followed up Saturday's stalemate with Serbia with a 1-1 draw against Macedonia.
    The eastern Europeans are ranked 50 places lower than the Scots in FIFA's current world rankings, but after the game the former Hearts boss preferred to look at the positives and claimed there was "no need to get worried about the situation".

Collins, who scored for Scotland against Brazil in the 1998 World Cup, believes the manager deserves time to turn the team's fortunes around.
    He told BBC Radio Five Live: "Two games into a campaign, I think we've got to be a little more patient, although it's going to be tough to get in among the leaders.
    "(There are) grumblings already - I think that just seems to be the way it goes up here after a few bad results. We all start calling for the manager's head.

"I feel for Craig, last night I think he was fairly brave in his team selection.
    "If you look at the players he put on the park, James Forrest, a winger, Shaun Maloney, an attacking player, Kenny Miller, Jamie Mackie.
    "There's lots of questions about him being maybe too negative and defensive but I don't think the starting XI last night you could call it a negative and defensive team."
    Nikolce Noveski gave Macedonia an early lead, before Kenny Miller levelled just before the break.

Scotland had more of the possession in the second half, but were thankful when Ferhan Hasani's shot smacked against the post and away to safety.
    "I don't think it was a great performance that's for sure," former Hibernian boss Collins added. "I think we started poorly.
    "We really needed to start the game well try to get our noses in front. We're a far better team when we get our noses in front.
    "The crowd get behind the team but it was the opposite effect. We conceded the early goal, we were a little bit edgy, the crowd got edgy, but we did get back in it, got the equaliser.

"(In the) second half we huffed and puffed and there was certainly plenty of effort, endeavour and commitment, but we couldn't get that winning goal so it was disappointing, two points from the first two games, but as a positive we can say we're only two points behind the leaders of the group."

Uploads

Tykes tie down young duo

Rose & Clark sign contracts until 2014
    Last Updated: September 11, 2012 9:08pm

Jordan Clark: Signed new deal at Barnsley until 2014

Barnsley youngsters Danny Rose and Jordan Clark have signed new deals at Oakwell.
    Strikers Rose and Clark have penned contract extensions to keep them at the Championship outfit until 2014.
    Rose has made five appearances for Keith Hill's side, while Clark has made four first-team appearances for the Tykes.
    Rose admitted it was a dream come true to win a new deal at his boyhood club.

"It's my boyhood dream to stay with my local club," Rose told the club's official website. "I'm Barnsley through and through and every time I pull on the shirt it makes me proud. I'm looking forward to working hard on the training pitch and developing my game."
    Clark was also delighted to pledge his future to Barnsley.
    "I'm delighted to extend my stay," said Clark. "I've been here since I was seven and I hope to be a here for a lot longer. The hard work continues now and I want to put on that red shirt as many times as I can."

Uploads

Bentley could stay at FC Rostov
    Last Updated: September 12 2012, 10:25 BST

David Bentley has not ruled out the possibility of staying at FC Rostov beyond the end of his short-term loan.

David Bentley: Loan move away from Tottenham
    The Tottenham midfielder has moved to Russia on a temporary deal until Christmas after it became clear he was not a part of Andre Villas-Boas' plans at White Hart Lane.
    Bentley's first target is to get back into regular first-team football after missing most of last season due to a serious knee operation while on loan at West Ham.

But the 28-year-old would also consider staying with Rostov beyond the end of his loan if he likes the time he spends away from Spurs.
    "Long-term, we will see what happens," Bentley, a 15million July 2008 signing from Blackburn during the Spurs reign of Juande Ramos, told Sky Sports News.
    "I am going there to hopefully enjoy my football. If things work out, then we will see what happens from there."

Bentley, who in 2010/11 was also loaned to Birmingham, had held hope he would be given a fresh start at Spurs under new boss Andre Villas-Boas but it did not happen.
    "You always hope," he said. "But there has been a lot of water under the bridge at Tottenham with me.
    "The injury last year, I was out for a season, and there were a lot of good players there ahead of me.
    "You always live with that hope in pre-season but it was not to be. I am looking to play some games and we will see where we go from there."

Uploads

Jovetic confirms Man City snub
    Last Updated: September 12 2012, 10:15 BST

Fiorentina forward Stevan Jovetic has confirmed that he turned down the chance to join Manchester City this summer.

Stevan Jovetic: 'I stopped those negotiations'
    The Montenegro international was also chased by Italian champions Juventus but he stayed loyal to the Viola.
    The 22-year-old is one of the most sought after players in Europe, but he insists he has no intentions of turning his back on the Florence outfit.
    Asked about City, he told Gazzetta dello Sport: "I stopped those negotiations.
    "By the time they had made their move from England I had already decided that I would be staying in Florence.
    "Am I happy to still be here? Absolutely and I have no regrets.

"The objective here is to get back into Europe and I won't leave here until this club is competing at the levels it should be."
    Jovetic insists that he never felt as if he was about to leave the club, despite Juventus also making a move and claims he would never turn his back on them and join one of their biggest rivals.
    Juve and Fiorentina have had a huge rivalry since Roberto Baggio's bitter departure to Turin in 1990.
    "I never felt a long way away from Fiorentina, but I did feel that my future was in the balance," he added.

"When so many rumours are flying around, there is always a touch of truth in it.
    "I spoke to President Della Valle and he convinced me to stay, but we set off from a good base as I already knew that I would remain.
    "Juventus did come after me with some insistence and it is normal to think about it when you hear certain things - the chance to play in the Champions League, you have the faith of the club and the fact that you will be placed at the centre of a project.
    "However, there was no reason to go to Turin for that as I'm already here. I love this city and this club and that is why I could never betray them by going to Juventus."

Uploads

Hulse return interests Crewe

QPR man available after omission from Premier League squad list
    Last Updated: September 12, 2012 1:07pm

Rob Hulse: Experienced forward could be returning to his roots at Crewe

Crewe boss Steve Davis is weighing up a surprise move to bring QPR forward Rob Hulse back to Gresty Road.
    Hulse has been excluded from QPR's 25-man Premier League squad and is available for a loan switch to the Football League.
    There has been interest from fellow League One club Brentford but a return to Crewe would be an emotional one for the target-man.
    The 32-year-old was part of the famed Crewe youth set-up at the club as a child and went on to play more than 100 games for the club, forming a deadly partnership with Dean Ashton.
    Davis has reservations about bringing Hulse back to the club nearly a decade on but is open to the move - if there can be some flexibility on the player's wages.
    "It's something I'd possibly consider," Davis told The Sentinel.
    Quality

"I know Rob and I know he's a Wistaston lad as well. He's a quality player who has done very well for Crewe in the past.
    "I know that sometimes it's not good bringing ex-players back as they don't always produce what they did when they were initially here, and he's not played much football lately either.
    "But certainly in the position we are in he would be a decent acquisition to the squad I'm sure.
    "Brentford's wage budget would be a lot higher than ours, so if it was to going to happen we'd have to do something on the wages front."

Uploads

Swans open contract talks

Club hoping to tie down Vorm, Williams and Taylor
    Last Updated: September 12, 2012 2:13pm

Neil Taylor: Closing on new deal

Swansea City have opened contract talks with star men Michel Vorm, Ashley Williams and Neil Taylor.
    The trio are seen as crucial cogs in the Swansea machine and chairman Huw Jenkins wants all three tied down.
    Holland international goalkeeper Vorm, who has been linked with former boss Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool, has two years left on his current deal after signing from Utrecht last summer.

Captain Williams, who like Vorm is said to be on Rodgers' radar, also has two years left on his present deal having been with the club for four years since joining from Stockport County.
    Taylor has three-years left on his deal having signed a new long-term contract last summer.
    "We are working on quite a few things," Jenkins said.

"We are looking to make sure we have got a few of our experienced players on extended deals.
    "That's something we are looking to do at the moment and we're optimistic that we'll be able to get things sorted with a number of players."
    Taylor injury

Taylor is currently sidelined with a broken ankle, which means he is unlikely to play again this season, but Jenkins insists that will not delay matters.
    "Neil's injury does not impact on the contract situation," Jenkins added.
    "The discussions with Neil were more or less concluded before the injury and nothing has changed.
    "Hopefully things will be finalised soon."

Taylor confirmed he was ready to sign his deal.
    "We've been talking about a new contract for a few months now," said Taylor.
    "We were very close before the injury happened. But in fairness to the club they have already said they will honour the new deal despite the fact that I won't play again this season.
    "The way they have handled it speaks volumes about the club and the board.''

Uploads

Brugge - Vadis deal dead

Everton will have to make new offer for midfielder
    Last Updated: September 12, 2012 3:26pm

Vadis Odjidja-Ofeo: Staying with Brugge

Club Brugge have revealed that Everton will need to agree a new deal for Vadis Odjidja-Ofeo, if they want him in January.
    The Toffees made a late move for the Belgian international on transfer deadline day and agreed a loan deal for the midfielder.
    However, the paperwork was filed too late and FIFA refused to ratify the 23-year-old's move.
    Now Brugge have said the situation is back to square one and if Everton still want him, a new deal will have to be agreed if David Moyes wants to pursue him further.

"The transfer window is now completely behind us and now the focus is back on Club Brugge," Brugge general manager Vincent Mannaert stated.
    Mannaert revealed that the reason from Brugge's point of view, that the move collapsed was down to Everton.
    "There are two facets to such a transfer. The first part concerns the administrative work: that was fine. The second point is an international transfer certificate and it went wrong.
    "FIFA took seven days, but eventually there is no green light.
    "We could have appealed to the sports tribunal in Lausanne, but we had little chance of success. Furthermore, we would again have had a long period of uncertainty.

"Now all parties know where they stand."
    Mannaert dismissed claims that a deal for January was in place.
    "There are no agreements or promises made about," said Mannaert.
    "I can imagine that they will continue to monitor Vadis, but there are no guarantees.
    "If Everton want Vadis in January, the negotiations will start from scratch."
    Committed

Mannaert says the player is committed to Brugge again.
    "We had a meeting and I had a good feeling. I'm sure Vadis will work hard to return to the level of last year.
    "The uncertainty is gone and also the stress for Vadis has disappeared. That period is over and that's not coming back."
    The player himself insists he is committed again to Brugge.
    "I am glad that I can again focus on football," he said.

"I have had seven days to think, and that is more than enough - in the beginning I was very excited about the transfer to Everton , but now I am very happy to be in Brugge.
    "I do not fell like Club Brugge has let me down, on the last day in England a lot of transfers happen and so it is hectic - but Club Brugge were very open with me on their communication and it worked well.
    "Everton were just a little too later."

Uploads

New Everton deal for Duffy

Irish defender to set to stay at Goodison Park until 2015
    Last Updated: September 12, 2012 5:00pm

Shane Duffy: Has extended his stay at Everton after signing new contract

Everton centre-back Shane Duffy has signed a new three-year contract which will keep him at Goodison Park until 2015.
    The 20-year-old has made a total of eight senior appearances for the Toffees, making his Premier League debut in January after being recalled from a loan spell with League One Scunthorpe.

The Republic of Ireland Under-21 international's only appearance so far this season came in the 5-0 Capital One Cup victory over Leyton Orient in August.
    "I'm delighted to get it done. It's taken a bit of time to get it sorted but I am happy now," he Everton's official website.
    "I have been here for a while now and loved every minute of it. Now this is sorted I can focus on working hard and continuing to improve."

Uploads

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo says Rademel Falcao is key to the club
    Last Updated: September 12, 2012 6:25pm

Radamel Falcao: Colombia international striker is key to Atletico Madrid, according to president Enrique Cerezo

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has reiterated his determination to keep Radamel Falcao after labelling the striker as 'key' for the club.
    Falcao has established himself as one of the most feared strikers in world football in recent seasons and was instrumental in last season's Europa League success.

The Colombia international again demonstrated his predatory prowess in last month's 4-1 thrashing of Chelsea in the Super Cup in Monaco.
    The 26-year-old has been linked with Chelsea, among other clubs, but Cerezo has no desire to cash in on Falcao.
    "I want to keep Falcao in the squad," Cerezo told AS.
    "For us, the Colombian is a reference point on the pitch and today he is key for Atletico."

Falcao's father has recently claimed that the forward dreams of playing for Atletico's arch-rivals Real and that he had also always been a fan of Chelsea.
    However, Cerezo refused to be drawn on Falcao snr's remarks, saying: "I prefer not to comment on any controversy with his father. Atletico is only interested in the footballer."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast