Jennifer Lopez takes minority stake in nuvoTV

Gabriel Miramar-Garcia | 15-09-2012

In an effort to promote diversity in television programming, Jennifer Lopez has taken a minority stake for an undisclosed amount in the nuvoTV cable TV network, an English-language network for Latinos in the United States.

"As an artist, businesswoman, producer and Latina, I'm passionate about seeing multicultural America on TV," she said in a statement. "My partnership with nuvoTV reflects our mutual goal of creating top-quality entertainment and exciting stories that embrace the richness and beauty of Latin culture in America today."
Lopez will work to develop new programming relationships, manage marketing and programme production as well as turning up as talent in some network programming.
"Jennifer Lopez is a creative powerhouse and the perfect partner for our network and we are absolutely thrilled to have her on board with us," Michael Schwimmer, CEO of nuvoTV. "Jennifer's unique combination of talent, imagination and determination, combined with her passion for great entertainment, gives nuvoTV a wonderful opportunity to redefine television tailored for English-speaking Latinos."
"Growing up in the Bronx as a little Puerto Rican girl watching TV and not having a lot to identify with," said Lopez, speaking to USA Today. "West Side Story was really my favorite thing because it had Puerto Ricans in it."
nuvoTV recently snagged $40 million in new funding, which it said was earmarked for production of original English-language programming.