Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 19-09-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 19-09-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 19-09-2012

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas claims he was offered the chance to sign Lazio striker Miroslav Klose
    Last Updated: September 19, 2012 8:57am

Miroslav Klose: Was linked with a move to Spurs over the summer

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas says he was offered the chance to sign Lazio striker Miroslav Klose by various agents but insists there was never any serious discussion over a deal.

Veteran Germany international Klose claimed earlier this month that Spurs tried to sign him in the summer transfer window but he turned them down in favour of staying at Lazio.
    However, while an admirer of the 34-year-old, Villas-Boas says he is happy with his current attacking options of Emmanuel Adebayor, Jermain Defoe and Clint Dempsey.
    He told La Gazzetta dello Sport: "The player had been offered to us by the usual round of agents, but there was never any real negotiation.
    "Klose is an important player, but I have very good strikers. With Defoe, Adebayor and Dempsey I can feel comfortable."

Klose is likely to line up against Spurs when they take on Lazio in the UEFA Europa League on Thursday night at White Hart Lane.
    Villas-Boas is predicting a tough encounter and is expecting the likes of Cristian Daniel Ledesma and Hernanes to cause problems for his side.
    "With Lazio it will be a difficult match," he added.
    "The Italian league is one of the toughest in the world and those at the top of it need to be addressed with the utmost concentration.
    Favourite

"They have important players such as Ledesma, who is one of my favourite players.
    "Then there's Hernanes. I expected him to find a top club (in the summer) and instead Lazio have done well to keep him."
    Villas-Boas admits he is not familiar with Lazio coach Vladimir Petkovic but admires the work he has done at the club, adding: "To be honest, I didn't know him. (But) congratulations, he is marching very well."

The Spurs boss insists his side are taking the Europa League seriously and believes they can lift the trophy this season.
    He added: "Tottenham will face the Europa League with the spirit to get away and maybe to win it.
    "The Europa League is not a minor cup, it is the entrance to the Champions League and it deserves the utmost respect."

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 19-09-2012

Spartak Moscow winger Aiden McGeady would consider a move to the Premier League
    Last Updated: September 19, 2012 9:03am

Aiden McGeady: Spartak Moscow winger would be prepared to consider a move to the Premier League

Aiden McGeady's agent says the former Celtic winger would consider a move to the Premier League if Spartak Moscow received a 'serious' offer.
    The Republic of Ireland international left Celtic to join Spartak two years ago and he will come up against his old club in the group stages of the UEFA Champions League.
    McGeady has also been regularly linked with a move to the Premier League in the past, with the likes of Aston Villa and Sunderland previously mooted as admirers.

The 26-year-old's representative Jan Dreyer is not surprised there is interest from England and is waiting to see if anything develops into a firm bid.
    "There has been interest in Aiden from English clubs going right back to when he played for Celtic, so it's nothing new," said Dreyer in the Daily Record.
    "Now Aiden is doing well in the Russian Premier League and is about to play in the Champions League, so that will only add to interest in him.
    "If Spartak received a serious offer, Aiden would definitely consider it."

Uploads

Riise: Berbatov is an amazing signing

Fulham's John Arne Riise admits it is "amazing" to have a player like Dimitar Berbatov at Craven Cottage.

John Arne Riise: Hailed Berbatov signing
    The 31-year-old joined from Manchester United late in the transfer window as he reunited with Martin Jol, who managed Tottenham during the Bulgarian's time at the north London club.
    Berbatov rejected the likes of Juventus and Fiorentina to move to Craven Cottage, where he netted his first two goals in the 3-0 defeat of West Brom on Saturday.

• Profiles

Riise could not help but be impressed by his new team-mate's performance for the Whites, and believes it bodes well for the future.
    "For Fulham to have a player like him at the club is amazing," he told the club's official website, www.fulhamfc.com.
    "It just proves that we're working hard to push the club forward.
    "He came in and scored two goals on his home debut and you can't ask for more than that.
    "He's settling in well and all the boys are pleased to have him in the team.

"We'll try and make it as easy for him as possible at his new club."
    Both of Berbatov's goals came after good work from Alex Kacaniklic, who has been handed the unenviable task of replacing Clint Dempsey on the left wing following his move to Tottenham.
    The 21-year-old has impressed in his performances so far and left-back Riise believes the pair can build a decent relationship.
    "Last season, I had Clint in front of me and we had a good relationship," the Norway international said.
    "We're going to miss him but Kaca has come in and we work well together.

"He works hard, he's young and keen to learn. I like having him in front of me because I know he'll do a lot of good things.
    "It looks good for the rest of the season."
    Attention now turns to Saturday's trip to the DW Stadium, where Martin Jol's side will be looking to get their first point of the season away from west London.
    The Cottagers suffered league defeats at Manchester United and West Ham, but are hoping for a change of fortunes at Wigan as Riise steps up his return to full fitness.

"I haven't trained as much as I wanted," he said. "I was out for about 10 days because of the injury and then I played a game [at West Ham].
    "Then I was on international duty, before returning and playing at the weekend, so I'm looking forward to a good week of training before the next game at Wigan.
    "They've [Wigan] done well so far. They've got a great manager but they've lost a couple of players such as Victor Moses.
    "We go there to try and win and get three points and it's a game that if we play our best football, we'll be in with a shout."

Uploads

Aguero sees bright future for City
    Last Updated: September 19 2012, 8:59 BST

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero has no doubt the club are destined for more titles.

Aguero: 'Very happy' at Man City
    City's second Champions League campaign began with a dramatic last-gasp 3-2 defeat to Real Madrid at the Bernabeu Stadium.
    Aguero, who was linked with the Spanish champions last season, watched a pulsating encounter unfold from the bench as an unused substitute and is convinced City will bounce back.

The former Atletico Madrid player tweeted after the game: "I feel comfortable and appreciated in @MCFC - it's a project I feel involved in. We want more titles and we'll get them!"
    And to underline his commitment to the club after returning to a city where he is always the subject of press interest, he added: "Just to make it clear - I'm very happy to be in @MCFC. It's the best decision I could have taken."
    Aguero, 24, scored 30 goals for City last season after joining the Barclays Premier League champions in a 38million club record deal.
    He is yet to make an impression this season having suffered a knee injury in the opening Premier League fixture against Southampton last month.

He had hoped to make his return in the Spanish capital but events prevented manager Roberto Mancini bringing him on.
    Mancini said: "I had two players injured, (Samir) Nasri and Maicon. I wanted to play Aguero in the last 20 minutes."
    City were beaten in a remarkable finish as Karim Benzema and Cristiano Ronaldo struck for Real Madrid in the last three minutes.
    Aleksandar Kolarov had looked to have snatched an unlikely win when his free-kick bounced through the area to find the net six minutes from time.
    Edin Dzeko and Marcelo had earlier traded goals after the hosts had dominated the first hour.
    The result leaves City playing catch-up in a tough-looking Group D that also includes Borussia Dortmund - also winners on the opening night - and Ajax.

Mancini said: "I think other teams will lose here. Now we have five games and it is important we beat Dortmund next game at home.
    "We know it will be difficult playing against a top team but this year we want to go through."
    City failed to get beyond the group stage in their first Champions League campaign last year.
    Captain Vincent Kompany tweeted: "Thanks to the huge number of travelling fans. This game will give us the desire to improve again. Eventually we will get there."

Uploads

United 'target' Ogbonna

United scouts have been watching Italy defender
    Last Updated: September 19, 2012 11:38am

Angelo Ogbonna: Torino want defender to remain at club

Torino sporting director Gianluca Petrachi claims there is huge interest from some of European's elite clubs - including Manchester United - for centre-back Angelo Ogbonna.
    The 24-year-old's stock has risen in recent seasons especially after being included in the Italy Euro 2012 squad by coach Cesare Prandelli.
    The versatile defender recently penned a deal that is designed to keep him at the Serie A newcomers until 2016.

However, Petrachi claims the Cassino-born player could cost in excess of 16million should he impress for Torino in the top flight this season.
    "I can guarantee that there are observers of many foreign clubs who follow our games, including United's scouts," Petrachi told tuttomercatoweb.com.
    "Most of the time they come just to see Ogbonna because he is a player who has great potential.

"Last year we refused 10million for him, but it is clear that he is worth more than 16million.
    "When an offer arrives, the final word will be up to the player. Angelo certainly has the desire to do better, but I believe he should continue to grow with Torino because his primary goal is to improve himself with our team."

Uploads

Reading midfielder Jem Karacan has signed a new three-year contract
    Last Updated: September 19, 2012 12:08pm

Jem Karacan: Reading midfielder has signed a new three-year contract at the Madejski Stadium

Reading midfielder Jem Karacan has ended any uncertainty over his future by signing a new three-year contract at the Madejski Stadium.
    The 23-year-old, who has come through the academy and already made 125 appearances, was due to be out of contract at the end of the season.
    The Royals confirmed last week that talks over an extension were progressing well and Karacan has expressed delight at penning fresh terms.
    "I'm delighted to finally get it done, we've been in negotiations for a little while so it's nice to put pen to paper," Karacan told Reading's official website.

"Ever since I arrived, I've always wanted to become a first-team regular and in the last couple of years I've managed to do that - to come through the ranks has been brilliant."
    Manager Brian McDermott added: "We are delighted that Jem has committed to us, he's been an integral part of what we've been trying to do.
    "He's a great lad who is very much one of our own and we're really pleased that he has signed a new deal."

Uploads

Ballack in Aussie link

Wanderers coy on German interest
    Last Updated: September 19, 2012 4:30pm

Michael Ballack: Linked with a move to Australia with Western Sydney Wanderers

Michael Ballack could be the next high-profile name to head to Australia after reports suggested he is interested in a move to Western Sydney Wanderers.

The former Germany captain would complete an amazing week for the A-League following Sydney FC's unveiling of Alessandro Del Piero two days ago and Emile Heskey set to join Newcastle Jets.
    No official contracts talks have taken place between Ballack and Western Sydney's representatives but this is expected to change later this week.
    The 35 year-old currently has offers from the Middle East on the table and is approaching this move with care so not as to jeopardise his chances elsewhere.

However, Western Sydney refused to comment on the speculation which would see Ballack playing in the A-League for at least one season.
    "A-League clubs talk to lots of player agents about lots of different players," club chairman Lyall Gorman told The Daily Telegraph.
    "We don't provide a running commentary on these talks and we won't offer confirmations or denials every time a rumour surfaces."
    Ballack is currently available on a free transfer after leaving Bayer Leverkusen in the summer.

Uploads

Robins take reins at Coventry
    Last Updated: September 19 2012, 18:20 BST

Coventry have confirmed the appointment of Mark Robins as the club's new manager as they look to turn around their early-season woes.

Robins: Has penned a three-year deal
    Robins, 42, enjoyed a successful two-year spell in charge of Rotherham between 2007 and 2009 before taking the reins at Barnsley, a position he also performed strongly in until May last year when differences with the Oakwell board forced him to resign.
    But the former Manchester United, Norwich and Leicester striker is certain to have his work cut out with Coventry who, aside from their ongoing financial concerns off the pitch, are struggling to adapt to life in League One following relegation last season.
    The Sky Blues, competing in the third tier of English football for the first time since 1964, are still awaiting their first league win of the campaign and went down to a fourth successive defeat on Tuesday night, losing 4-1 at Shrewsbury.

Robins, who has penned a three-year deal, told the club's official website: "This is a great opportunity. Coventry is a club with great tradition and, although we find ourselves in League One, the squad that has been assembled is better than the results so far have shown.
    "I am relishing the opportunity to turn things around and bring better times for the Sky Blues supporters. There is a lot to be done and I will get straight to work with the players and backroom staff."
    Assistant manager Richard Shaw, aided by Lee Carsley, has been holding the fort in a caretaker capacity for the past three-and-a-half weeks since Andy Thorn was given his marching orders.

But the joy of an opening Capital One Cup win over midlands neighbours Birmingham soon disappeared and Coventry currently find themselves jointly propping up the League One table.
    City's hierarchy announced 10 days ago they had narrowed their search to a nine-man shortlist, with a series of interviews subsequently understood to have further whittled that list of names down to Shaw, Robins and former Blackburn, MK Dons and Notts County boss Paul Ince.

But it is Robins who has come out on top and, after a 16-month hiatus from management, he will now get back to work as he looks to put Coventry back on the right path.
    Meanwhile, Shaw and Carsley have returned to their roles as assistant manager and first-team coach respectively.

Uploads

Pardew rejects Ba rift rumours
    Last Updated: September 19 2012, 18:29 BST

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew insists there is no rift between himself and striker Demba Ba.

Pardew denies a rift with Ba
    The Senegal international admitted his displeasure at only being named among the substitutes for Monday night's 2-2 Barclays Premier League draw at Everton having responded in fine style by coming off the bench to score both his side's goals.
    His agent Alex Gontran caused consternation on Tyneside when he suggested the following day that Ba might have to consider his options if he found himself sitting on the bench too often in the future.
    Pardew's response in Madeira on Wednesday evening was more diplomatic than it might have been, with the initial response behind the scenes one of acute displeasure.

He said: "That's just people needing to say things they shouldn't say, really, but it doesn't really affect me and Demba. We have got a good relationship."
    Pardew signed Ba last summer and saw him plunder 15 goals before heading off to the African Nations Cup, after which he scored just once more before the end of the campaign.
    However, he was asked to play a slightly different role on his return, one of the strands of Gontran's criticism.
    That early form led to speculation that a series of suitors might activate the 7.5million release clause in Ba's contract during the summer, although the deadline came and went without incident.

Relief at the player's continued presence was tempered by the belief that he had been touted around for sale, and it would be no surprise if the rumours started once again as the next transfer window approaches.
    In the meantime, Pardew has no problem making the tough decisions he needs to to balance the demands of trying to compete on four fronts.
    He said: "The bottom line is you have to get your players to play at their best and sometimes there are different methods of doing that."
    Ba and compatriot Papiss Cisse were conspicuous by their absence when a largely inexperienced 19-man squad jetted out from Tyneside for Thursday night's Europa League clash with Maritimo, although Cisse was withdrawn because of illness.

Shola Ameobi will start on a night when 37-year-old Steve Harper hopes to extend a European career which he admits he thought was over.
    The goalkeeper made his first senior appearance for the club in almost 17 months in the away leg of the play-off against Greek side Atromitos last month, and as a result of number one Tim Krul's elbow injury, returned to Barclays Premier League action at Everton.
    Asked if he thought he would ever play in Europe again, Harper said: "Last year, probably not. But this year it's well-documented the conversation I had with the manager.
    "He said we had a lot of games and if I still wanted it, it was there for me, so at the start of the year there was light at the end of the tunnel and here I am."

Despite spending much of his career as Shay Given's deputy, Harper has experienced most of the Magpies' big nights on the continental stage.
    He played in a famous 1-0 Champions League victory over Juventus at St James' Park and was in the side which beat Dynamo Kiev 2-1 in the same competition in 2002-03, while he was on the bench the night Craig Bellamy's late winner against Feyenoord in Rotterdam fired the club into the second group stage.
    Harper said: "Obviously, the two Champions League games against Juventus and Dynamo Kiev were special, the Feyenoord night, going to Barcelona, the San Siro. It was fantastic.
    "The good thing about this is, I was able to sit and look at the draw and the bonus is we are going to three places we haven't been to before.

"We are going to Madeira, Bordeaux and Bruges. I was looking at the draw and looking at Partizan Belgrade thinking, 'I've been there twice, can we please go somewhere else?'
    Not that there's anything wrong with Belgrade, but you just want to go out and experience new places.
    "It's fantastic to come to Maritimo and I'll hopefully get to Bordeaux and Bruges as well."