Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 22-09-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 22-09-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 22-09-2012

Chelsea miss Drogba - Mourinho
    Last Updated: September 22 2012, 8:31 BST

Chelsea will find it harder than they think to cope without Didier Drogba, according to the man who signed him, Jose Mourinho.

Didier Drogba: Moved to China in the summer
    Striker Drogba left Stamford Bridge in the summer after a glittering eight-year stay which saw him win three Premier League titles, four FA Cups, two League Cups and finally, the Champions League.
    He secured that memorable success over Bayern Munich with the winning penalty, having already scored in normal time - his 157th and final goal for the club.

A move to China and Shanghai Shenhua followed but, although Chelsea have made an unbeaten start to life without him, Mourinho believes it is only a matter of time before they start to miss him.
    The Real Madrid manager told Sky Sports News: "I believe Drogba is the big difference for them. I don't think you can replace him. You can buy top players and invest like Chelsea did, but there is only one Drogba, in the Premiership and Chelsea's history.

"Drogba means crucial moments. The final, a top match, Drogba is there. When the team is losing at home, Drogba is there. Chelsea will miss Drogba and Drogba will mean a few less points. But the team is good, with good players and they are European champions."
    Mourinho kickstarted the club's run of success by guiding them to back-to-back titles in 2005 and 2006, and whenever a vacancy has cropped up at Stamford Bridge, he has been linked with a return.
    And, although he has reiterated his love of the club, he says he will be returning to England and to any club when his time with Real comes to an end.

He added: "In England I am blue. I will push a little but when I watch matches on TV.
    "I cannot deny what is clear in my mind. After Real Madrid, England, that's for sure. I keep saying the same, I know clearly.
    "In England (I could manage) everyone. I am blue, but I am London blue. I am a professional."

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 22-09-2012

Bolton sign Warnock on loan

Bolton have completed the signing of Aston Villa left-back Stephen Warnock on a three-month loan deal.

Warnock: Signs for Bolton on loan
    Warnock, 30, is yet to make a first-team appearance at Villa Park since Paul Lambert's arrival as manager in the close season.
    Wanderers boss Owen Coyle initially tried to bring in the former Liverpool and Blackburn defender before the summer transfer window closed and is pleased to have got his man as the Trotters look to boost a slow start to the npower Championship season that has seen them take seven points from six matches.

"We tried to get him to the club before the summer transfer deadline but it never came to fruition, so I'm delighted that we have now been able to bring him in," Coyle told Bolton's official website.
    "He has a terrific pedigree and has moved for large sums of money in his career, so we know his quality.

"He has the right character and it's important that we bring those attributes into the group. He ticks all the boxes and when I spoke to him you could tell how keen he was to come here.
    "I have to say there was a lot of competition for his signature. We beat off a host of clubs in the Championship, so we are delighted to get him in."

Uploads

Prem to discuss spending controls

Premier League clubs will meet next week to try to hammer out proposals for spending controls in the top flight.

Premier League: Clubs to discuss spending controls
    The 20 clubs have been split into two groups of 10 on a geographical basis, with the southern group to meet on Monday and the northern group on Wednesday.
    The majority of clubs are in favour of some kind of cost control measure - the sticking points are likely to be which measure is adopted and what the sanctions will be for breaking the rules.

Ideas include adopting UEFA's financial fair play system where clubs must break even, or clubs only being allowed to spend a maximum percentage of their annual income on player costs - for example 70%, the system operated by the European elite club grouping G14 a decade ago.
    Another proposal is limiting increases in spending on player wages to 10% a year, as suggested by Sunderland owner Ellis Short.
    Perhaps the option most likely to win universal approval is clubs having to be able to guarantee they can operate for several years in the future rather than just one.

Under the guaranteed liability plan, if club have players on five-year contracts, as most do, they would have to be able to prove they can guarantee those funds for the length of those contracts.
    In the case of Portsmouth, the club twice went into administration when some of their biggest costs included paying the salaries of high-earning players who were under long-term contracts but whom the club could not afford.
    The clubs most opposed to cost control measures are Manchester City, Chelsea and Fulham but even they might be inclined to accept a system to guarantee financial liabilities.

The sanctions for breaking the rules are unlikely to be as drastic as UEFA's system which threatens to exclude clubs from European competition if they do not come close to breaking even.
    In the Premier League, a transfer ban or fine is much more likely to be agreed to punish transgressions.
    Top-flight clubs will have more income than ever before to spend when the new 3billion-plus domestic TV deal comes into effect next season, and the league is hopeful there will also be an increase overall in the value of the overseas rights - though it is likely to drop in some territories due to the economic situation.
    The league issued an invitation to tender today for the rights to show top-flight matches in north, central and south America and the Caribbean.

Meanwhile, Premier League chiefs have been delighted with approach of both Liverpool and Manchester United ahead of the clubs' meeting this weekend and are hopeful that the pre-match handshake will go off without any controversy, such as players refusing to take part, and that fans will refrain from any offensive songs relating to Hillsborough and Munich.
    The league have no intention of ending the routine despite Anton Ferdinand refusing to shake John Terry's or Ashley Cole's hand last weekend.

They expect Luis Suarez, who caused uproar last season by ignoring Patrice Evra's attempted handshake, to this time shake hands.
    England manager Roy Hodgson's remarks on Thursday about the dearth of English players and the timing of some live TV matches on Sundays caused a raised eyebrow with league chiefs but it is understood they are not intending to react directly to the FA.

Uploads

Walcott saga rumbles on
    Last Updated: September 22 2012, 7:21 BST

Arsene Wenger remains hopeful Theo Walcott will agree a new contract at Arsenal - but indicated the club could allow him to leave if no deal can be struck.

Theo Walcott: In talks over new deal
    Walcott, 23, is into the final season of his current contract but has yet to negotiate an extension, with the two parties said to be at an impasse over wages.
    There had been suggestions the England forward - who could sign a lucrative pre-contract agreement with another club in January - would be offloaded in the last transfer window to avoid him moving as a free agent next summer, which Wenger refuted.
    However, the Frenchman acknowledged the situation was reaching a make-or-break point with the player he signed from Southampton as a 16-year-old.

"I still hope to sign him and the next two months will be vital because after that, the longer this situation lasts, then the more difficult it is," Wenger said.
    "Let's hope we can find a solution in the next two months."
    Asked if Arsenal would consider selling Walcott during the January transfer window, Wenger added: "It will depend on the needs of the team and the club. We can afford to go to the end (of the contract) if needed."
    Walcott has not started a match since the opening day against Sunderland and received a mixed reception from some sections of the Emirates Stadium when coming on against former club Southampton on Saturday.

Wenger added: "The fact he doesn't play regularly at the moment is right, but it's not necessarily linked with his contract situation. No player is happy when he doesn't play.
    "At the moment, [Laurent] Koscielny doesn't play. He has just extended his contract and still doesn't play because the defence is doing well.
    "That's only temporary because by the end of the season they will all play."

Uploads

PSG say they have not had any contact with Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo
    Last Updated: September 21, 2012 6:41pm

Cristiano Ronaldo: Speculation has surrounded his future after he admitted he was sad at Real Madrid

Paris St-Germain have refuted allegations they have had any contact with Cristiano Ronaldo and could be at the root of the Portuguese star's sadness at Real Madrid.
    The French club are now one of Europe's big spenders since being taken over by the Qatar Investment Authority and they have signed a host of star names in a bid to compete with the best.

Rumours have suggested PSG let it be known how much they would be willing to pay Ronaldo should he ever be tempted to leave Madrid, but club president Sheik Al Khelaifi has dismissed the stories.
    "No, that's not true. If Cristiano is sad it's not because we've been in touch with him," the PSG supremo told Marca.

"If we were interested we would speak to Madrid first.
    "I'm not going to talk about other clubs' players. I respect Madrid and Florentino [Perez] is a great president. It's too soon to talk about Ronaldo. He's very professional."
    The next Messi

PSG have spent more than 200million (160m) on more than 15 players since the Qatar Investment Authority took the reins in 2011 and Sheik Al Khelaifi is still scouring the market to find a replica of one star in particular.
    "We're looking for the new Lionel Messi. Let's hope we find him," he continued before being asked if the new Ronaldo would also be a target.
    "They are the two best players in the world and it would be great to have them both in your team. They have a unique charm. I like them both."

While Shiek Al Khelaifi is an admirer of Barca and Real's players, he is keen not to upset either club by suggesting a move for anyone could be on the cards.
    "They have the best players and it's good for us to have a good relationship with them and the rest of the clubs," he said.
    "Our project is also based on respecting other clubs. We're going to respect football.
    "I saw the highlights of both Madrid and Barcelona's matches in the Champions League in midweek. They are the best and my favourites. We learn from them."

Uploads

Wenger wants Walcott solution

Gunners boss says next two months 'will be vital'
    Last Updated: September 22, 2012 10:37am

Theo Walcott: Yet to agree a new contract at Arsenal

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger remains optimistic Theo Walcott will agree a new contract at Emirates Stadium, but admits he could be allowed to leave if a deal cannot be reached.
    Walcott, 23, is into the final season of his current contract but has yet to negotiate an extension, with the two parties said to be at an impasse over wages.

There had been suggestions the England forward - who could sign a lucrative pre-contract agreement with another club in January - would be offloaded in the last transfer window to avoid him moving as a free agent next summer, which Wenger refuted.
    However, the Frenchman acknowledged the situation was reaching a make-or-break point with the player he signed from Southampton as a 16-year-old.

"I still hope to sign him and the next two months will be vital because after that, the longer this situation lasts, then the more difficult it is," said Wenger.
    "Let's hope we can find a solution in the next two months."
    Needs

Asked if Arsenal would consider selling Walcott during the January transfer window, Wenger added: "It will depend on the needs of the team and the club.
    "We can afford to go to the end (of the contract) if needed."
    Walcott has not started a match since the opening day against Sunderland and received a mixed reception from some sections of Emirates Stadium when coming on against former club Southampton on Saturday.

Wenger added: "The fact he doesn't play regularly at the moment is right, but it's not necessarily linked with his contract situation. No player is happy when he doesn't play.
    "At the moment, [Laurent] Koscielny doesn't play. He has just extended his contract and still doesn't play because the defence is doing well.
    "That's only temporary because by the end of the season they will all play."

Uploads

Hughes not ruling out Dawson

Hoops boss admits summer move for stopper 'wasn't to be'
    Last Updated: September 22, 2012 11:06am

Michael Dawson: Still on Hughes' radar at QPR

QPR manager Mark Hughes has revealed the club could make another move for Tottenham defender Michael Dawson in January.
    The Hoops tried to sign the Spurs and England stopper in the summer but the proposed switch broke down over personal terms.
    Dawson has not featured under new Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas so far this season and Hughes believes QPR could have more luck signing him in the winter transfer window, if the club still need defensive reinforcements.

The QPR manager, who travels with his side to White Hart Lane in the Premier League on Sunday, does not believe the 28-year-old centre-back will be content to sit on the bench at Spurs.
    "Maybe Michael's situation happened too quickly for him to understand what his future is at Spurs," Hughes told the Daily Star.
    "We took it as far as we were able to and he would have been a good acquisition but it wasn't to be.
    "In January that might be different if he is still out of the team but we may have moved on by then."

Uploads

Palace slam Martinez over Zaha

Chairman Parish hits out at Wigan boss
    Last Updated: September 22, 2012 11:49am

Wilfried Zaha: Has been linked with Wigan move

Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish has accused Wigan manager Roberto Martinez of trying to unsettle Eagles winger Wilfried Zaha.
    The Latics were reported to have failed with a 3million bid for the 19-year-old in the summer but Martinez remains an admirer of the youngster, saying earlier this week he has "tremendous potential".
    However, the manager also said he doubted whether the winger would be a realistic option for Wigan in terms of value for money.
    Parish was less than impressed with the comments from the Spanish boss, who bought Victor Moses from the Eagles for 2.5m two years ago before selling him to Chelsea for 9m in August.
    Unsettling

The Palace chief said on Twitter: "Some fascinating quotes from a manager about our player.
    "So having nicked Victor due to administration and then selling for 9m (where I don't recall them being worried about Chelsea getting value for money), Roberto would like it ever so much if we would roll over.
    "In the meantime I guess he'll just try to unsettle our player using the papers.
    "We didn't reveal any details of their bid we prefer to do these things privately and politely, different rules I guess for 'big' clubs."