Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 23-09-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 23-09-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 23-09-2012

Luiz signs new Chelsea deal

Chelsea central defender David Luiz has signed a new five-year contract with the European champions.

Luiz: New contract at Stamford Bridge
    The 25-year-old Brazil international has committed his long-term future to the Stamford Bridge outfit after being strongly linked with a move to Barcelona in recent weeks.
    Luiz joined Chelsea from Benfica for 25million in January 2011 and has since made 59 appearances for the club in all competitions, scoring five goals.

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 23-09-2012

Boruc agrees Saints deal

Southampton have signed former Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc until the end of the season.

Boruc: Signs for Southampton
    The Poland international made his name during his five-year spell in Scotland and left Serie A outfit Fiorentina during the summer.
    Free agent Boruc has now joined Saints for the rest of the season, providing competition to club captain Kelvin Davis and 20-year-old Paulo Gazzaniga.
    The 32-year-old agreed terms at St Mary's after today's 4-1 victory over Aston Villa and will be added to the south coast side's Premier League squad list.
    "I'm looking forward to playing in the best league in the world while I'm playing here at Southampton," Boruc told the club's official website, saintsfc.co.uk.

"I missed football, so I'm really glad that I'm here and I've finally found the club I was looking for.
    "My dreams are coming true. I've been talking about this for a long time, and finally I'm here in the Premier League."
    Boruc knows he faces a tough challenge for the Southampton number one spot but is looking forward to challenging Davis and Gazzaniga.
    "We'll see what's going to happen over the next couple of weeks," Boruc added.
    "I'll give 100% and try to get in goal for Southampton. I like challenges and I'm an ambitious guy, so that'll be good for everybody."

Adkins, who today dropped regular number one Davis for 20-year-old Gazzaniga, is delighted to bolster Southampton's goalkeeping options.
    "We're very pleased," he said. "Artur has great experience from Celtic and Fiorentina, and from playing for the national team in Poland.
    "He now gives us a third goalkeeper in the building, which is important because the potential for injuries and people getting sent off means we have to cover ourselves. He gives us great back-up and competition.

"Paulo is a very young goalkeeper and he did ever so well for us today, and everyone knows how much I rate Kelvin - what a great character he is and how important he's been in what we've done here at Southampton.
    "Artur now comes in as a third goalkeeper with a vast amount of experience."

Uploads

Waddock sacked by Wycombe

Wycombe have sacked manager Gary Waddock following a 1-0 home defeat to fellow League Two strugglers AFC Wimbledon.

Waddock: Relieved of his duties
    The decision was taken after the Chairboys' latest defeat left them 21st in the table, with just four points from seven matches.
    Waddock led the club to promotion from the basement division in the 2010-11 campaign but they were relegated at the end of last season.
    The club confirmed that a further statement would be made on Monday.

Uploads

Kompany - No Spain appeal

Defender happy captaining City
    Last Updated: September 23, 2012 10:16am

Vincent Kompany: Has no intention of leaving City for La Liga

Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany has made it clear he has no intention of leaving the club for Spanish giants Real Madrid or Barcelona.
    The influential centre-back, who has been at City since 2008 when he arrived from Hamburg, played a key role in their Premier League title-winning campaign last season.
    But the 26-year-old says he has no desire to follow in the footsteps of other Premier League greats and make the move to Spain with Real or Barca.
    Kompany feels joining either of the La Liga giants would see him overshadowed by star men Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi.
    Level

He told The Sun: "It would take me time at another club to reach the level I have achieved with City. Even then there would be no guarantee I could do it.
    "Besides, I am convinced that I can win just as many honours with City as I could with Barcelona or Real Madrid.
    "Whoever goes to play for Real will be in Ronaldo's shadow, and whoever joins Barca will be overshadowed by Messi. So I prefer to be captain of Manchester City.
    "I feel very much at home here and am able to live a normal life. I get interest from paparazzi, but so long as you behave normally there is no problem."