Sky Germany's Sullivan slams 3D TV

Jörn Krieger | 26-09-2012

Sky Deutschland's CEO Brian Sullivan is disappointed with the development of 3D television. The high expectations have not been met, he said in an interview.

"I believe that many people - myself included in some aspects - have thought that 3D television would develop in a better way," Sullivan told German industry portal "DWDL". "But there is still not sufficient content and the demand for 3D TV sets is not as high as the manufacturers expected. The TV experience with special 3D glasses is simply not comfortable enough and viewers have to do way too much to be able to enjoy 3D TV," concluded Sullivan.

"In general, television is a relaxing, passive enjoyment after all," stated Sullivan. "I therefore also believe that it is a mistake if the industry tries to make television more and more interactive. In many cases, viewers don't want this interactivity. People are already so busy in their own lives that they sometimes simply want to be entertained. Technology should make access to content easier for the customer - and not the opposite."

Sullivan also revealed which channels will be part of the new "Starter" package. Through the new now low-cost entry package which was announced in August 2012 Sky Deutschland wants to attract new customers who considered subscriptions to be tooexpensive in the past.

According to Sullivan, "Sky Starter" will contain the following 21 standard-definition channels: Discovery Channel, National Geographic Channel, NatGeo Wild, Spiegel Geschichte, Motorvision TV, Sky Krimi, RTL Crime, 13th Street Universal, Syfy, Fox, TNT Serie, Passion, Heimatkanal, Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney Junior, Junior, GoldStar TV, Unitel Classica, Beate-Uhse.TV and Sky Sport News HD.

Subscription sales for "Sky Starter" will commence by the end of the year. Sullivan didn't give details on the launch date or the subscription price. Sky hopes that the "Starter" customers will eventually sign up for further, more expensive packages, for example football Bundesliga, movies, sports or HD offerings.

Sullivan affirmed the plan to offer Sky's over-the-top-TV service Sky Go as a stand-alone product in future. A regular Sky subscription via cable or satellite will then no longer be required for Sky Go. "It is a logical step for us to make the entry into the Sky world easier. When it is ready, it will be an attractive offer as set-top-boxes or smartcards will not be necessary", explained Sullivan.

"I believe in linear television in the living room, but if someone has a different TV consumption habit, then we would be badly advised not to make a suitable offer", said Sullivan. "That's why we want to turn the internet into the third stand-alone reception platform for Sky in addition to cable and satellite."

Sky Go offers the possibility to access Sky content directly through the internet, for example via PC, laptop, tablet-PC, smartphone or games console including the iPad, iPhone and Xbox 360. Neither cable or satellite reception nor a Sky box is required.