Screaming Velocity adds social TV to recommendation engine

Michelle Clancy | 29-10-2012

Screaming Velocity, which provides recommendation technologies for the online, video on demand (VOD) and linear TV markets, has taken the wraps off of version 2.0 of its machine learning-based recommendation engine.

The advanced recommendation system from Screaming Velocity allows third-party set-top box (STB) and online VOD companies to integrate social TV intelligence via a REST-based API solution. The recommendation technology was designed to allow licensees to quickly and easily add sophisticated recommendation capabilities to their existing linear TV, VOD and over-the-top (OTT) offerings without building out new infrastructure, the company said.

Its social TV component analyses and deciphers a user's social graph, thus allowing for immediate user recommendations - even when no historical usage data exists for that individual. Additionally, SVI's backend processes have been harvesting, analysing and summarizing historical TV and movie data for more than a year, from various Internet sources.

"End users want a customized and personalised TV experience," said Wayne Yurtin, president and CEO of Screaming Velocity. "I don't want to be presented with the same programmes as my parents. And my kids don't want to be presented with my recommendations. It's astonishing, yet frustrating, just how much linear TV and VOD content exists in the world today. And finding those 'content gems' that apply to me, and my personal likes, is what our technology is all about."