Miami's GENTV brings nightly Tony Benitez to lineup

Gabriel Miramar-Garcia | 26-11-2012

GENTV, the Miami-based independent TV channel, has launched El Show con Tony Benitez. The one-hour daily comedy talk series will air Monday through Friday from 7 8 p.m. ET. GENTV kicked off the show with a special Thanksgiving Day edition with a guest appearance by Jorge Villamizar, lead singer of Latin pop band Bacilos.

"We are thrilled to have Tony Benitez join our primetime lineup as star host of our newest show as we continue to evolve our local original productions," said Roy Meyeringh, general manager of WGEN-TV. "Tony is widely recognised among the U.S. Hispanic audience as a great comedian and entertainer, he will be providing our viewers with unmatched comedic content every night."

The Cuban actor, director and comedian makes his way onto GENTV after stints at various Hispanic TV networks such as Telemundo, Univision, America TeVe and Mega TV.

"I look forward to this new partnership with GENTV, there couldn't be a better time to join this exceptional team," said Tony Benitez, Host of El Show con Tony Benitez. "I know that with this show I will be able to give my fans the very best of me."

The show is a mix of segments including opening monologues by Tony Benitez, monthly running gags, sketches, 'dangerous' street stunts and interviews with celebrity guests participating in comedy skits and performances. El Show will regularly feature different acts with various cast members, including seasoned actors Luis Miguel Ovan and Carmen Daysi. In addition, El Show's house band is led by 18-time Grammy Award nominee and music producer Marlow Rosado.

El Show will be produced daily in GENTV's Doral studios in Miami.