Mets, Wright make a deal to run through 2020

Face of the franchise agrees to seven-year extension worth $122 million

By Anthony DiComo / 11/30/12 10:43 AM ET

NEW YORK -- David Wright has agreed to a seven-year contract extension that could make him a Met for life.
Wright and the Mets came to terms early Friday morning on a seven-year, $122 million extension to keep the six-time All-Star and face of the franchise in New York, according to multiple baseball sources. The Mets have not made an announcement regarding the agreement and do not expect to do so until early next week.
The Mets will tack on Wright's extension to the $16 million he is already owed for 2013, bringing the total value of the deal to $138 million, the most lucrative contract in club history. Johan Santana held the previous record of total value with the six-year, $137.5 million contract he signed in 2008.
"I just think it's a great statement for everybody to have this guy wrapped up," manager Terry Collins said via telephone Friday morning. "I knew David wanted to stay. I knew that certainly the organization wanted to keep him and I thought there would be a common ground."
After a sudden flurry of action this week followed months of relative inactivity in negotiations, Wright and the Mets struck a deal a few hours after club officials attended a benefit dinner in New Jersey for a team employee fighting breast cancer. The Mets cannot make the deal official yet because Wright is traveling to Florida this weekend to attend teammate Daniel Murphy's wedding and will not be available to take a physical exam until early next week.
But the only timing that matters to the Mets now is that Wright is under contract through at least 2020. A lifetime Mets fan who grew up watching the team's Triple-A affiliate play near his hometown in Norfolk, Va., Wright has long stated that he wanted to finish his career with the only professional organization he has known.
"One of the things about him, he knows where he's happy," Collins said. "He knows what he means to the organization. Because of that, he was willing to certainly step forward and work hard to want to stay here."
Collins strongly intimated that he will ask Wright to become the team's first official captain since John Franco in 2004.
"Certainly that's going to be a discussion that I'm going to want to have with David," the manager said. "He's the face of this organization and he may not say a lot, but he leads so much by example, so much by the way he leads and carries himself. Certainly, I think I've got to have that discussion with him."
The 38th overall selection in the 2001 First-Year Player Draft, Wright made his Major League debut in 2004. He is the all-time franchise leader in hits, doubles, walks, strikeouts, RBI and runs scored, and should eventually stand atop the leaderboards in games played and home runs. He hit .306 with 21 homers and 93 RBIs in 156 games for New York in 2012, also narrowly missing out on a Gold Glove with a renaissance defensive season.
"I think it's great for everybody," Collins said. "I think it's great for David, great for the organization, certainly our Mets fans. Now we can hopefully move on."
Moving on means attempting to strike another deal, that being one with pitcher R.A. Dickey, who is also negotiating a contract extension. Dickey said this week that he and the Mets have exchanged offers, and that his camp was waiting to hear back from the team.
"I'm hoping," Collins said. "I know that certainly [general manager] Sandy [Alderson] has an idea and a plan ... and I know R.A. has said many times that he wants to stay a Met. I think signing David shows that we're trying to do the right things to be successful, and I think that will mean a lot to R.A."