Kansas City Chiefs' Jovan Belcher kills himself, police say

Published: Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:47 a.m

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at the team's training facility after killing his girlfriend in a seperate incident Saturday morning, Kansas City Police spokeman Darin Snapp said.
The shooting occurred at 8:10 a.m. local time at the team's facility near Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City Police Communication Supervisor Kathy Childs said.
Belcher also was suspected of killing of a 22-year-old woman described by police as his "on-again, off-again" girlfriend at a nearby residence before driving to the training facility, Snapp told NFL.com's Albert Breer. Police have not released the woman's name, but confirmed she and Belcher had a 3-month-old child.
"About (7:50 a.m), we got a call to a residence, in regards to a shooting, on the 5400 block of Crysler Avenue," Snapp said by phone. "We arrived and the lady there informed us that her daughter had been shot by her on-again, off-again boyfriend. The young woman was taken to a local hospital, where she died a short time later.
"At about 8:10 a.m., we received a call to the Arrowhead practice facility in regards to a black male armed with a gun in the parking lot, and he matched the description of the shooting suspect," Snapp continued. "Officers arrived, saw a black man with a gun to his head, and some Chiefs employees. As the officer got out of his car, he heard a gunshot. It appeared the individual shot himself. He was transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead."
According to Snapp, Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, coach Romeo Crennel and another unnamed Chiefs staff member were talking to Belcher just before he shot himself, Breer and NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported. Snapp said Pioli and Crennel "never felt like they were in danger." Belcher thanked Pioli and Crennel for all that they had done for him.
When officers arrived, Belcher walked in the opposite direction from where they were all standing. He then shot himself, Snapp said.
Snapp said the shooting occurred outside the front doors of the facility.
The Chiefs released a statement in regard to the incident:
"We can confirm that there was an incident at Arrowhead earlier this morning. We are cooperating with authorities in their investigation."
Belcher, 25, grew up on Long Island, N.Y., and played for the Maine Black Bears in college. There, he was named first-team All American in the Football Championship Subdivision. After going undrafted in 2009, the Kansas City Chiefs signed Belcher as a free agent. He was named a starting linebacker in 2011.