Cavaliers coach Byron Scott fined for criticizing officials

By Matt Moore | Senior Blogger

December 9, 2012 6:04 pm ET

Cavaliers coach Byron Scott was fined $25,000 by the NBA on Sunday for public criticism of the officials, the league announced.
Following the a blowout loss to the Wolves on Friday, Scott said:
''I'm trying to figure out a way to say this without getting fined,'' coach Byron Scott said of the officiating. ''It was that bad. It really was. It was that bad. I mean I understand we're playing in Minnesota, but 35-9, we went to the basket just as much as they did. I think we had 38 attempts in the paint to their 34, we get nine free throws, I think that speaks for itself.''
Apparently he did not succeed with his attempts to figure that out. It wasn't the first time Scott spoke about a perceived inequity from the officials this week. On Tuesday, he spoke to Fox Sports Ohio about it and basically said there was nothing to be done:
“The only way we're going to get their respect is just by playing hard every single night,” Scott said. “We know we're getting hammered a lot and we're not getting calls.
“But at the end of the day, we look at the stats and we're right there — either even or (with) more free throws attempted than our opponent. So we can't cry about it too much.”
“My problem is, when I get a tech, I kind of go overboard,” Scott said, smiling. “So it kind of goes from techs to $35,000 fines or ejections. I'm trying to keep my cool as much as possible.”