Free-agent-to-be Greg Jennings running out of time to make mark

• By Kareem Copeland
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: Dec. 14, 2012 at 01:47 p.m.

Greg Jennings knows time is running out for him to make an impression. His contract with the Packers expires after the season and he's missed eight games due to injury. He has three regular season games left to show his stuff to the Packers and 31 other teams that may be interested in his services.

Jennings said he doesn't know of any talks between the team and his agent.

"I don't know, I've seen guys who have been hurt all year come off injuries and get paid," Jennings said. "I'm not concerned about it. It's the nature of the game. Has it dipped into my pocket some? Probably. But my resume speaks for itself. What I'm able to do is not going to change."

The two-time Pro Bowler has seen this happen in Green Bay recently. Scott Wells, Cullen Jenkins, Daryn Colledge and Ryan Grant all left in free agency without much negotiation with the team.

"That means something," Jennings said. "I don't think we're dumb. I don't think we're naive, I don't think those guys were naive, either. Going into it, that was my way of thinking. I saw the trend. I don't feel like I'm any exception. I go about my business as if I'm no exception."

The Packers are a draft and develop program that would rather part ways with a player one or two years too early than too late. Second-year pro Randall Cobb has flourished with Jennings out and the coaching staff loves his Percy Harvin-type ability. Cobb, Jordy Nelson and James Jones are all under contract.

The Packers have to plan for the near future with the deals of Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews and B.J. Raji expiring soon.

"Do I think it's more likely that I will (play for another team)?" Jennings said. "I can't answer that with a definitive yes or no. Am I preparing myself for possibly having to play somewhere else? Absolutely. Is that what I would want to do? Not at all. They know that."

Jennings will be one of the highest ranked players in free agency if the Packers let him hit the market. At 29-years-old, this could be his last major deal.