Snow reflects on career, positioning Isles for move

Tuesday, 12.18.2012 / 1:59 PM will periodically be doing a series called "Five Questions With ...," a Q&A with some of the key movers and shakers in the game today aimed to gain some insight into their lives and careers.

This edition features New York Islanders general manager Garth Snow:

With a move to a new arena in Brooklyn three years away, Islanders GM Garth Snow will soon be unshackled from the antiquated facility that has ruined countless sales pitches he's attempted to give every July 1 since 2007.

Snow figures the Islanders move 25 miles away to Barclays Center, set for the opening of the 2015-16 NHL season, immediately gives him the opportunity to sell the Islanders' future, Long Island and New York City to free agents who typically wouldn't have given him much more than the courtesy of answering the phone.

"That certainty of where we're going to be is crucial," Snow told on Tuesday.

Snow's job now is to continue building the Islanders' bridge to Brooklyn. It's a job he started in earnest more than six years ago, when as a rehabbing aging goaltender he received an opportunity too good to pass up on, an opportunity he knew he wanted since he was a college student trying to make it in hockey.

That opportunity came from the Islanders, from owner Charles Wang, who took a monumental risk by hiring the untested, unproven, inexperienced Snow to lead the once-proud franchise.

"It was a situation where I got a call out of the blue and this journey began," Snow said.

The journey has had more downs than ups with several ego-busting bruises along the way. But Snow, like the Islanders, is still standing and optimistically hoping for a much brighter future ahead.

Snow talked about his meteoric rise to the GM's chair and the challenges he has met along the way with

Here are Five Questions With…Garth Snow:

Take us back to July 18, 2006 -- you retire after 12 seasons in the NHL to be named the general manager of the New York Islanders. Looking back now, what do you recall thinking, feeling? What were your emotions like that day?

"You're catching me off guard here. For me it was obviously something that I pursued as the [2005-06] hockey season closed. I went through the interview process and didn't really give it much thought after I was passed over. I really focused on my rehab from hip surgery that I had and getting at a point where I could do my conditioning off the ice to get ready for the next season.