Tony Sparano defends Tim Tebow, Wildcat

• By Kevin Patra
  • Updated: Dec. 21, 2012 at 06:29 a.m.

The blame game continues to make its way around every phase of the New York Jets' locker room and staff.

Thursday offensive coordinator Tony Sparnao was left defending his failure to utilize Tim Tebow and the ineffectiveness of the Wildcat.

"The way that I think the perception is of the Wildcat is that we had a bunch of these 30-yard gains," Sparano said, via ESPN New York. "That wasn't the case in Miami, either. In Miami, it wasn't the case at all. We just did it a lot more, so the 2-yard gains and the 5-yard gains (didn't stand out), but then the 15-yard gain, I guess that jumped out more than the 2 or the 5."

Sprano disagreed with coach Rex Ryan, who hours earlier admitted the Wildcat "hasn't worked out" the way he thought it would, according to a news conference transcript.

"It's combination of things but I wouldn't use the words 'didn't work' at all," Sparano said.

Clearly Ryan believed that facet of the offense would play a bigger role this season. Considering he isn't giving Tebow a chance to play quarterback this Sunday it seems that was the only part the former Heisman Trophy winner was brought in to play.

Interestingly, when Ryan was asked to compare this season's offense with last season's he talked more about his former coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer, than his current one.

When asked if Sparano would return next season Ryan merely cited company policy of not discussing it until the offseason. He gave no token praise for Sparano when asked about next season.

Reading between the lines it might be Sparano who falls on the sword for the Jets' offensive struggles in the passing game (ranks 30th) and Mark Sanchez's failure to improve.

The Tebow catastrophe will get the headlines, but those weren't the biggest problems Sparano will have to explain if he hopes not to be one and done in New York.