Ray Lewis' heroic effort pays off, Robert Griffin III's does not

• By Jeff Darlington
  • Updated: Jan. 7, 2013 at 02:18 a.m.

Editor's Note: On Sunday, NFL Network reporter Jeff Darlington covered the Baltimore Ravens' 24-9 win over the Indianapolis Colts at M&T Bank Stadium before driving south to FedExField, arriving in time to cover the second half of the Seattle Seahawks' 24-14 win over the Washington Redskins. He spent time in the locker rooms of the Ravens and Redskins after each respective game.

BALTIMORE and LANDOVER, Md. -- His cleats still glued to his feet, Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis gobbled down the final bite of a banana as he sat in front of his locker at M&T Bank Stadium before beckoning a team employee over to him.

Lewis' eyes widened, clearly looking to cut to the point: The 17-year veteran was charged up, undaunted by a triceps injury that's still healing after its tear in October, wanting only to get his iPad updated with scouting footage of his next opponent.

"I need you to download Denver's last game!" said Lewis, moments after recording a team-high 13 tackles in a 24-9 wild-card win over the Colts. "I need to start watching that tonight!"

Meanwhile, thirty-three miles southwest and exactly five hours after Lewis was looking forward to his short-term future, Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III was wondering about his own.

In the dark underbelly of FedExField, Griffin stood with his fiancé beside a black Chevrolet Tahoe, wearing suit pants and a dress shirt with a sharp tailored vest, expecting to head to the hospital for an MRI. As Griffin looked at her, saying very little, he lifted his injured right knee toward his chest, bending his leg and straightening it, investigating the ligaments with his fingers.

"Honestly, it's up in the air for me right now," Griffin said about his knee just a few minutes earlier in the immediate wake of a 24-14 loss to the Seahawks. "No matter what it is, our season's over, and I've got to make sure I get back healthy."