Rex Ryan: Tony Sparano, Mike Pettine fired by Jets

• By Marc Sessler
  • Updated: Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:53 a.m.

Fresh of his Bahamas getaway, coach Rex Ryan sat before the local media on Tuesday to talk of changes ahead for the New York Jets.

Confirming multiple overnight reports, Ryan -- sitting alongside team owner Woody Johnson -- announced that offensive coordinator Tony Sparano has been fired after one trouble-filled season in Florham Park.

"At the end of the day, I wanted to move this team in a different direction offensively," Ryan said.

Sparano isn't the only coordinator on the way out: Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine's contract is up and he won't be back in 2013. Pettine is currently set to interview for jobs, including a coordinator role with the Buffalo Bills, a role Ryan doesn't want to see his longtime aide accept.

"I hope Pettine doesn't take the (Bills) job," Ryan said.

Ryan spoke of installing dynamic help on the offensive side of the ball, saying he wanted a "physical, aggressive, attack style" in 2013. He even used the word "pistol" to describe what could be ahead for the Jets.

On defense, we suspect someone from within might be elevated to replace Pettine. Ryan stressed next year's Jets would take on more of his personality, not less.

"I don't think I've done as good a job of implementing who I am throughout this team," Ryan said.