CES 2013: Sling integrates with DISH TV Everywhere, launches new features

Michelle Clancy | 09-01-2013

Sling Media has unveiled the My Media and Slingbox Companion functionality for the Slingbox 500 and Slingbox 350 placeshifting devices, and announced a new integration with DISH Network's TV Everywhere app.
My Media allows customers to sync photos and videos to a Slingbox 500 with a connected USB drive and view them on the TV. Slingbox Companion is a second screen social TV app for iPad, initially available for Slingbox 500 customers.
"These new features bring instant, additional value to Slingbox 500 and Slingbox 350 customers at no extra cost, and position Slingbox firmly as a device of choice in the living room," said Sling Media's senior vice president and general manager Raghu Tarra. "The My Media feature delivers on the platform promise of the Slingbox 500. Slingbox Companion further leverages the Slingbox to deliver a powerful second screen application for the iPad that combines content discovery and navigation with rich media and social media features."
Meanwhile, satellite provider DISH has expanded its existing agreement to offer Sling Adapters to customers, and has added Sling Media's placeshifting technology to the Hopper DVR. Now, the live or recorded TV signal can be redirected from the Hopper to Internet-connected iOS and Android tablets and smartphones, PCs and Macs, inside or outside of the home. The functionality is enabled though DISH's TV Everywhere app.
"Last year, Hopper delivered the DISH TV experience to multiple rooms. This year, we top that and deliver it anywhere," said Joe Clayton, DISH president and CEO. "With Hopper, the value equation for pay-TV becomes radically different. Customers pay only once for their content and can access it anywhere they choose, in the home, or on the go."
Customers can also use the Sling feature to watch DVR recordings stored on Hopper's hard drive, including major network shows recorded using DISH's PrimeTime Anytime feature.