Thread: Linux?

Hi all,

I'm a newbie and really keen to learn all this stuff as quickly as possible. I need to start with the basics and have been reading around other forums but as most of them do not permit talk of card sharing it hasn't ben easy to get to grips with.

First of all, does a box need to be linux based to CS? I've been looking for a well priced starter box (preferably HD) and was looking at the Amiko 8840 twin tuner which is not linux but apparently you can CS with it. How would this work? If a box has an ethernet port or cam slot does it necesarrily it can be used to CS?

Do you always need to use softcams for sharing or can you use hard cams like Viaccess and Irdeto? I have seen 'gifts' advertised on the net where you simply load them onto a USB stick from your PC and then transfer them to your STB. Another way I've been told is by accessing them directly through the menu on your box with the remote but don't know how accurate this is. Both these ways sound much easier than messing around with flines and clines. Can anyone explain the principle of gifts and how they work please other than the fact that you have to pay for them?

Obviously to use CS your STB has to be connected to a network (usually internet) but can you just use an ethernet cable and plug it directly into a router or does it have to be routed through a PC first? If your PC and router are downstairs and you want to use a box in the bedroom which would be the best way to acheive this other than a wireless dongle or other device?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Linux?

amiko is a pain mate, a lot use spark on it and from the 9 sites i`m on can be glitchy as hell.

any enigma 2 box can be used to cs, as long as can support cccam and oscam

most like myself have built a server