French broadband and UFB hit 24 million subscribers

French broadband and UFB hit 24 million subscribers

Pascale Paoli-Lebailly | 05-03-2013
The number of fixed network broadband and ultra-fast broadband accounts in France reached 24 million as of 31 December 2012, according to figures released by telecom regulatory body Arcep.
This marks an increase of 330,000 from the previous quarter and of 1.2 million compared to Q4 2011.
More than 1.6 million of these 24 million subs are to a superfast service, which is 115,000 more than at the start of the quarter (up 8%) and 260,000 more than in Q4 2011 (up 19%).
These ultra-fast broadband accounts are split between 670,000 subscriptions to a plan supplying a maximum download speed of 30 to 100Mbit/s (down by 2% on the year) and 935,000 to plans supplying a maximum speed equal to or above 100Mbit/s, whose numbers rose by 40% over 2011.
An additional 45,000 FTTH accounts were opened during the quarter, bringing the total number to 315,000. 18% of French households which can subscribe to a superfast service now do.
The number of broadband accounts stood at 22.4 million at the end of the quarter (up 215,000 compared to Q3). 98% of these accounts are to an xDSL service, and the remaining 2% of the connections are supplied by cable or wireless technologies such as satellite, Wi-Fi, WiMAX, etc.
"The percentage of homes with access to more than one FTTH solution has passed the 50% mark for the first time," Arcep said.
8,850,000 households in France were able to subscribe to a superfast internet service at the end of Q4 2012, including 3,450,000 households located outside of very high density areas.