August 22, 2013 10.04 Europe/London By Chris Dziadul
Greeceís new public broadcaster has officially begun news transmissions, two months after the controversial closure of its predecessor ERT.
The latter move drew strong criticism not only in Greece but internationally, with the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) at the forefront of protests.
Earlier this week the Union said it was halting the relay of programmes via satellite and over the internet produced by sacked ERT workers occupying ERTís building.
However, the sacked workers said they would continue to distribute their programming over the internet.
According to the EBU, the new interim public broadcaster has already recruited approximately 600 staff, with a further 1,400 to follow once ERTís permanent replace NERIT is established in the next few months.