Netflix brings Aziz Ansari stand-up special to streaming markets

Michelle Clancy | 30-08-2013

Netflix will premiere a new comedy special, Aziz Ansari: Buried Alive, on 1 November. Filmed live at the Merriam Theatre in Philadelphia, Buried Alive features Parks and Recreation star Ansari focusing his unique viewpoint on pending adulthood, babies, marriage and love in the modern era.

The show follows Ansari's successful live tour of the same name, during which he performed in front of sold out crowds in over 75 cities all over the world at venues including New York's Carnegie Hall, London's Hammersmith Apollo and the Sydney Opera House. It is a follow-up to his previous stand-up performances Intimate Moments for a Sensual Evening and Dangerously Delicious, also available on Netflix.
"Aziz is the perfect example of the new generation of comedy stars. He's smart, multi-faceted and socially engaged with his fans, making him a perfect fit for the Netflix audience," said Lisa Nishimura, vice president of originals at Netflix. "We're excited to share this exclusive comedy with our members."
"This special is much, much different than my previous two," said Ansari. "As I hit 30, my material got very personal as I grappled with the gravity of the adult world love, marriage, babies and more. Do I really have to deal with all that now? Are my ding-dong friends really getting married and having their own children? I couldn't imagine having a kid right now. After I type this sentence, I'm gonna drink an apple juice and watch Jurassic Park if that's a guy that's supposed to be ready to be a father, I'm very concerned. That's what Buried Alive is about."
Ansari's stand-up comedy performance will be available to stream in all territories where Netflix is available: the US, Canada, the UK, Ireland, Latin America, the Nordics and the Netherlands.