Top 10 Roundup

William & Mary tops No. 1 Creighton; No. 8 UAB falls

Last Updated - September 16, 2013 9:48 GMT

William & Mary 3, No. 1 Creighton 2
NORFOLK, Va. -– Redshirt freshman Jeff Bombelles scored the game-winning goal in the 107th minute, lifting William and Mary to a victory against No. 1 Creighton. The match was a part of the Stihl Soccer Classic hosted by Old Dominion.
With the victory, the Tribe improves to 2-2-1 on the season, while the Bluejays fall to 4-1-0.
The Tribe wasted little time getting its offense going. In the fourth minute senior Chris Perez found junior Josh West on a give-and-go. West collected the pass and put the ball in the back of the net, giving W&M a 1-0 advantage.
Just six minutes later Creighton found the equalizer. In a scramble in the box, Sean Kim was able to find Marvin Iskra open in the box. Iskra controlled the pass and knotted the score 1-1.
The rest of the first half remained tied at 1-1. At the break, Creighton held a 7-3 advantage in shots, including a 3-1 lead in shots on goal.
Creighton gained its first lead of the match in the 64th minute. Off of a shot from Eric Miller, Kim fired the rebound into the back of the net, making the score 2-1. Miller was credited with an assist for Creighton.
The Green and Gold would not be denied and found the equalizer in the 82nd minute. Sophomore Jackson Eskay found junior Chris Albiston just outside of the box. Albiston drove and fired the ball into the back of the net, tying the score 2-2.
William and Mary and Creighton played the final eight minutes of regulation even. The match headed to overtime tied at 2-2.
The Tribe controlled the first overtime, firing the period’s only five shots. Eskay, redshirt senior Ben Coffey, and freshman Reilly Maw all put shots on frame, but each shot was saved by Creighton keeper Alex Bolowich. The game remained tied and headed to double overtime.
Creighton fired the first shot of the second overtime period. Fabian Herbers uncorked a shot, but redshirt freshman keeper Mac Phillips was there for the save. On the afternoon, Phillips recorded six saves for the Tribe.
In the 106th minute, Perez started a counter attack for the Tribe, finding Coffey out wide. Coffey drove the outside and sent a low cross into the box. The cross found Bombelles, who one-timed the ball into the goal, lifting W&M to a 3-2 victory.
The win, was the first win against the No. 1 team in the country since 2004.
No. 7 Akron 2, San Diego State 1
AKRON, Ohio – With a pair of goals, including the game-winner in the 105th minute, senior Eric Stevenson lifted No. 7 Akron to a 2-1 double overtime victory against San Diego State Sunday afternoon at FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field.
With the score knotted at one, freshman Adam Najem sent a corner kick to the near post where Stevenson gathered it, made a turned and sent a needle through the Aztecs’ defense and into the back of the net.
It was Stevenson’s fifth game-winning goal of his Akron career and the second time he has scored multiple goals in a match. With the win, the Zips improved to 4-2-0 while dropping SDSU to 2-3-0.
For the first time this season, UA scored a goal in the first half thanks to an impressive strike from Stevenson in the 11th minute. The Columbus native gave Akron the 1-0 lead when he took possession of a deflected shot and fired it home from the top of the box.
Unfortunately for the Zips, however, their lead didn’t last long as San Diego St. countered with a soft goal to equalize following an Akron turnover deep in their own territory. SDSU’s Kody Duff jumped on an ill-advised pass and set up teammate Abraham Villon, who buried it from close range.
After allowing three shots against VCU Friday night, UA allowed just six — including two on frame — to San Diego State Sunday. The Zips out-shot the Aztecs 18-2 after the first half and 26-6 overall. In total, eight different Akron players recorded at least one shot on goal, including three from Stevenson.
Stevenson became UA’s first multiple-goal scorer of the season. He last matched the feat with a two-goal effort in the Zips’ 5-0 route of Florida Atlantic last October. With the win, Akron improved to 7-0-1 following a loss during the regular season since 2008 and has not dropped consecutive matches in six years.
East Tennessee State 1, No. 8 UAB 0
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – In the final match of the 2013 UAB “Soccer for a Cure” Classic, No. 8 suffered its first setback of the season, a 1-0 loss to East Tennessee State at West Campus Field on Sunday. ETSU’s lone goal came off a Blazer own goal in the 62nd minute.
“Own goals are a part of soccer,” head coach Mike Getman said. “The own goal, to me, was not the issue. We played two matches, scored zero goals. That’s what is disappointing.”
UAB had its chances to score throughout the match, but could never get on the scoreboard. Early in the first half, redshirt senior midfielder Patrick Huang had a great opportunity. Huang sent a shot soaring toward the ETSU goal in the 14th minute, but it clanked off the crossbar.
Neither team would record a shot on goal in the first stanza, leaving each team 45 minutes to search for that first tally. In the 62nd minute, ETSU would get that goal.
Junior defender Darion Copeland attempted to clear a ball out of the UAB box. His clear sailed into the Blazers’ goal, giving the Buccaneers a 1-0 lead.
A shot by Copeland and sophomore forward Freddy Ruiz in the final 28 minutes were both on net, but East Tennessee State senior goalkeeper Ryan Coulter kept the home squad off the board.
“At this level, one play is the difference in the game,” Getman concluded. “It’s always one play here, one play there that is the difference. Today, one play went their way instead of ours. One play, one loss doesn’t change who we are.”
ETSU and Memphis each recorded one victory in the UAB “Soccer for a Cure” Classic. Memphis was awarded the team title, after scoring two goals to ETSU’s one. Shane Keely, a senior midfielder from Memphis, was the tournament MVP after recording the game-winning goal for the Tigers in their 2-1 victory against No. 21 Charlotte.
No. 11 Cal State Northridge 3, No. 9 New Mexico 2
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – For the second weekend in a row, the ninth-ranked New Mexico Lobos faced the eleventh-ranked team in the nation on a Sunday. Sunday night’s match was the final action of the 2013 TLC Plumbing & Utility Invitational. The Matadors jumped out to a two-goal lead, and they held on to win despite a furious comeback attempt from the home team.
Cal State Northridge found the back of the net first when Sagi Lev-Ari’s shot was blocked and bounced through the box to found the foot of David Turcios at the far post. The redshirt sophomore put away the rebound for his first goal of the season.
The Matadors would find their way onto the scoreboard again less than eight minutes later before New Mexico could equalize. Brian Behrad forced a turnover and sped off on a one-man attack and drove deep into the six-yard box before putting away the goal to the far post.
The Lobos were held scoreless in the first half with a Michael Kafari goal being waved off for a foul. James Wypych also nearly put UNM on the board when an Oniel Fisher pass found him, but his flick would miss just wide.
New Mexico would get on the scoreboard when Michael Calderon slotted home a penalty kick in the 65th minute. Calderon’s third goal of the season got the home crowd back into the game as New Mexico’s offensive pace picked up even more in search of an equalizer.
However, Northridge would find the back of the net first in the 71st minute on a Sagi Lev-Ari goal on a combination from Carlos Benavides and David Turcios.
The Lobos kept pressing as the game approached the final minutes. Freshman Niko Hansen gave UNM their second goal of the night when he hammered home a rebound from a James Wypych shot in the 89th minute. The Cherry & Silver attacked down to the final whistle and were unable to find an equalizer despite threatening down to the very end.