Top 10 Roundup

No. 9 Amherst ties Conn. College, T6 Ohio Wesleyan beats No. 8

Last Updated - September 18, 2013 9:24 GMT

T6 Ohio Wesleyan 2, No. 8 Ohio Northern 1

ADA, Ohio – Junior midfielder Colton Bloecher scored a pair of second-half goals to give Ohio Wesleyan a non-conference win against Ohio Northern on Wednesday in Ada.
The contest, perhaps the marquee matchup of the season in NCAA Division III thus far, pitting 2011 national champion Ohio Wesleyan against 2012 national runner-up Ohio Northern, was a defensive battle throughout the first half, with each team collecting 3 shots.
Ohio Northern took the lead in the 73rd minute when Stephen Perkins sent the ball to Austin Horton inside the penalty area and Horton fired a shot into the right side of the net.
The Bishops evened the score less than 4 minutes later as junior back Mason Hoge sent the ball to Bloecher in the box, and Bloecher headed it home with 23:44 left in regulation time.
The game-winner came with 2:16 left in regulation time as sophomore midfielder Brian Schaefer passed the ball to Bloecher just outside the 6-yard box, and Bloecher’s shot found the back of the net.
Bloecher nearly completed a hat trick, but his header off a corner kick in the 90th minute sailed over the Ohio Northern goal.
Ohio Wesleyan outshot Ohio Northern, 16-7. Beemiller finished with 3 saves for Ohio Wesleyan. Bader recorded 3 saves in the Polar Bear goal.
The win moved Ohio Wesleyan’s record to 8-0, the Bishops’ best start since 2005.
No. 9 Amherst 0, Connecticut College 0
AMHERST, Mass. –- Amherst played to a 0-0 double overtime draw Wednesday night against Connecticut College. The Jeffs remain unbeaten through 25 consecutive games dating back to last season and are 4-0-1 on the season and 2-0-1 in the NESCAC. With the tie, the Camels are 2-1-1 overall and 0-1-1 in the conference.
Neither team would put much pressure on offensively for the majority of the half as both teams went back and forth throughout.
The remaining minutes featured a lot of physical play but no scoring opportunities as the Jeffs held a 6-2 advantage in shots at the break but trailed five to one in corner kicks.
Both squads came out strong to start the second half. The Camels moved the ball down the right side and put one just high over the top left corner within the first five minutes. Amherst retaliated shortly after as Fikke’s throw-in pass went directly to Ben Norton ’14, however the senior missed the net wide right.
After 14 minutes of play without much offensive action, Connecticut came inches away from the first goal of the game when Billy Hawkey ’14 floated a cross to Hlinomaz, whose header was punched over the top of the net on a spectacular play by Bull.
With under five minutes remaining in regulation, the Jeffs posed the biggest threat of the game but came away scoreless. A strong attempt from Pascual-Leone was blocked and rolled to an open Martin whose shot went right at Nichols. The shot bounced off the Camel’s goalie and rebounded to Fikke but his attempt was blocked by a group of Connecticut players hovering the goal. Neither team recorded a shot after that and would enter the first overtime tied 0-0.
Just 30 seconds into the first overtime, Martin displayed impressive dribbling skills to get past the defender but his cross in front of the net was stolen as the Camels took away the threat. Amherst put together another strong opportunity on a throw-in from Fikke that bounced in front of the net but was picked up by Nichols. With 10 seconds remaining, Connecticut’s Kevin O’Brien ’15 attempted a corner kick but the Camels couldn’t take advantage as the team’s entered the second overtime tied 0-0.
In the double overtime, Hlinomaz recorded a shot 17 seconds into the period but was blocked by Bull. It was the last serious threat from Connecticut as the Jeffs stringed together two strong attempts but came away scoreless. At the 103:32 mark, Pascuale-Leone shot a bicycle kick off of a Greg Singer ’16 header but missed wide left. Minutes later, Martin sped past the Camel defenders but Nichols made a great play out of goal to save the shot. Connecticut had another corner kick with seconds remaining but once again came away scoreless as the game finished in a 0-0 draw.