Dr Who 50th anniversary provides many happy returns for the BBC

Editor | 25-11-2013

The BBC has reaped the rewards of an unprecedented global marketing campaign for the 50th anniversary of flagship sci-fi drama Dr Who with 10.6 million viewers on its main channel.

The special anniversary episode, The Day Of The Doctor, featured current doctorMatt Smith with award-winning actor John Hurt as well as reprises in the role by Smith’s predecessor David Tennant and, in a special cameo appearance, Tom Baker.
Along with a BBC One peak audience of 10.6 million and average 10.2 million (a 37.4% share) on Saturday night, The Day Of The Doctor was simulcast in 94 countries including the UK, US, Canada, Germany, Norway, Denmark, Russia, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Colombia, Chile, Panama and Peru. 834 cinemas around the world also screened the episode live, with 1,559 in total showing the anniversary episode.
Commenting on the episode drawing such an audience, writer and executive producer, Steven Moffat, said: “I'm astonished and moved - and that's only the score so far, that's just the overnights. I speak from personal experience when I say that there's nothing better the morning after your 50th birthday than knowing you've still got it.”
Doctor Who programmes have been requested on BBC iPlayer more than 100 million times over BBC iPlayer’s history and it is one of the most successful programme brands on the platform. Doctor Who also features in the top ten most requested individual episodes on BBC iPlayer of all time (series five, episode one, The Eleventh Hour, with nearly three million requests).