GMA News now free-to-air on My-HD

Rebecca Hawkes | 09-12-2013

In the wake of the devastating typhoon, the Filipino channel GMA News is being broadcast free-to-air (FTA) by Middle East satellite TV platform My-HD until the end of 2013.

"My-HD and GMA had announced their exclusive tie-up earlier this year in order to cater to one of the fastest growing communities in the region. Therefore, in time of this disaster, My-HD is getting all their forces together to ensure that they reach out to overseas Filipinos in order to keep them updated on the typhoon affected victims", said Cliff Nelson, CEO, My-HD.

Joseph T Francia, vice president and head of operations, GMA International added: "We are extremely grateful to My-HD for taking this initiative, GMA is one of the largest networks in Philippines and in disastrous times like these we want to ensure that our audience can depend on us to get the latest updates on GMA News and making the channel FTA is our way to support our viewers and the whole community".

A range of digital high definition receivers are compatible with My-HD's 42 channel platform, including Humax in Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries, NHE in Kuwait, TruView in Saudi Arabia, Lotus in Algeria and Tevicom in Morocco. The pay-TV platform, available through Arabsat, also offers both Irdeto and Conax conditional access. Approved set-top boxes and viewing cards are available from both distributors and the region's major hypermarkets.