Hong Kong TV sets up for mobile, OTT in 2014

Editor | 27-12-2013

As it aims to realise the ambition to rejuvenate local creative and TV industries, Hong Kong Television Network has revealed that it will launch over-the-top and mobile TV services by July 2014.

Under its new plan, HKTV aims to operate between three and five channels including an integrated Cantonese channel and a round-the-clock news offering. The new content bouquets will be made possible after HKTV resuming content production and entering into the next phase of the construction of the new multimedia production and distribution centre in Tseung Kwan O Industrial Estate at New Territories.
Looking as to why it has made the launch, HKTV believes that the majority of Hong Kong viewers are receptive to new means of access to television content through the Internet and mobile television services. It also notes that the popularity of connected devices — such as smartphones, tablets, handheld devices, computers and smart TVs — as well as the increased number of broadband Internet subscribers in Hong Kong present an excellent opportunity for content providers to deliver live television and video-on-demand (VOD) services through the OTT platform.
“I would like to thank all the support toward me, HKTV and my colleagues, that empower us to chase after our dreams, and to engage in different endeavours,” commented chairman of HKTV, Ricky Wong. "I still believe that Hong Kong is a free economy, and we embrace the rule of 'survival of the fittest'. Our team will continue to chase after our TV dreams under the new development, to contribute to the creative industry and Hong Kong’s future.”