FremantleMedia appoints BBC vet to programming position

Michelle Clancy | 05-02-2014

FremantleMedia North America (FMNA) has appointed former BBC Entertainment executive and producer Sean Hancock as vice president of alternative programming.

Hancock will take up his post starting 28 April.

"FremantleMedia is one of the leaders in alternative programming, and Sean's keen eye for concepts that resonate with audiences along with his diverse experience in developing and producing reality, game shows amongst other programming, will make him a brilliant addition to our team," said Thom Beers, CEO at FMNA.

Hancock segues to FMNA after spending three and a half years in the post of commissioning editor at BBC Entertainment. During this time he green-lit and/or executive produced a diverse slate of programming, including The Revolution Will Be Televised (winner of the 2013 BAFTA for Best Comedy), six seasons of Russell Howard's Good News, the Michael McIntyre Chat Show, Sweat the Small Stuff and Junior Doctors, among other projects.

"I've loved and valued my time at the BBC but couldn't turn down this exciting opportunity to work in the American television market," said Hancock. "I'm looking forward to joining FremantleMedia North America and working with the alternative team to create new, vibrant and innovative programming."

Prior to joining the BBC, Hancock worked as a freelancer for ten years, producing entertainment shows for all the UK's major broadcasters, including Celebrity Big Brother, the Farm, Shipwrecked, All Star Family Fortunes, Take Me Out, Britain's Missing Top Model and How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria.

Also a writer, his 2012 debut novel, Trick, was a Top 20 Kindle best-seller in the UK.