Foxtel commissions second season of Coast Australia

Louise Duffy | 12-02-2014

Foxtel has commissioned a second season of Coast Australia, to be produced by Great Southern Television and presented by British archaeologist and television presenter Neil Oliver.

The first season achieved record ratings for Foxtel's History channel, with the launch episode on 2 December attracting the highest ratings to date on the channel.

Each episode of season two will again showcase a different strip of Australia’s coastline over eight one-hour episodes, as Oliver and a group of expert Australian co-presenters gather stories about the history, the people, the archaeology, the geography and the marine life, investigating interesting and little-known facts along the way.

Foxtel’s General Manager of Factual Channels Jim Buchan said: “I’m delighted to see how well Coast Australia has resonated with Australian and New Zealand audiences. The first series was nothing short of epic and is a fine example of the type of world-class local production viewers can watch on the History channel.

“We’re looking forward to welcoming back Neil Oliver and his wonderful passion for history and storytelling to a second season of this great franchise. He complements our local presenters beautifully.”

Oliver said: “The making of Coast Australia series one was a life-enhancing experience for me. The scale of the country, the grandeur of the landscapes, the dazzling colours, the people I had the privilege of meeting ... all of it captured my imagination and whetted my appetite for more.

“Now I have the prospect of season two to look forward to and I can't wait. More journeys, more colours, more people and more stories.

“Coast is a juggernaut. Once it starts rolling, it seems to generate an unstoppable momentum. Each story told leads to ten more, or 100. Let’s get going!”

Coast Australia is based on the BAFTA Award-winning BBC series Coast, which has been broadcast in the UK and internationally for the past nine years. It is commissioned by Foxtel and produced by Great Southern Film and Television, with the format licensed from BBC Worldwide ANZ.

The first season of Coast Australia will air on BBC Two in the UK in early 2014.

The second season of Coast Australia will start production in March and air on History in the second half of 2014.