CABSAT2014: My-HD reaches 100,000 MENA subscribers

Rebecca Hawkes | 10-03-2014

Dubai-based pay-TV operator My-HD is now serving over 100,000 subscribers across the Arab world and is poised to further exploit the growing regional demand for high definition (HD) content, according to its CEO Cliff Nelson.

Since last year, 68 channels have been added to the direct-to-home (DTH) satellite platform, which serves the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) through a strategic tie up with Arabsat.

"Our goal has always been to provide our subscribers with a premium HD viewing experience at affordable prices," said Nelson. "In the last year alone, audiences of HD TV channels have tripled globally, indicating a growing demand for high definition viewing, and My-HD intends to meet that demand and continue to offer our customers the best possible experience."

Content from broadcasters including MBC , Rotana, Discovery Networks, Al Nahar TV, MTV Lebanon and GMA Networks are available on the platform.

"The market is definitely ready to make the transition from SD to HD, and 2014 is a promising year for that move. There are ten million receivers sold in the GCC every year, out of which less than 50% are SD and the remaining are HD. Currently, 70% of households in the GCC own HD TV, which reflects a clear demand for HD content at reasonable prices," Nelson added.

My-HD now has 51 channels in the Middle East, of which 44 are in HD; six Filipino channels from My-GMA; and an additional 23 exclusive channels in North Africa giving a total of 74 channels, of which 53 are in HD.

In a recent tie-up with Selevision, My-HD has also introduced My-HD smart boxes to the market for video-on-demand services.