Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Australia

Uploads

Australia

Captain Lucas Neill has been dumped from Australia's 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ squad with coach Ange Postecoglou saying he does not have the form or fitness to justify going to Brazil.

The decision appears to spell the end of the 36-year-old's international career after 96 games for his country, although Neill has previously said he was determined to play in January's AFC Asian Cup tournament in Australia.

Postecoglou said the decision not to select him in his provisional 30-man squad for the World Cup was not easy, adding he wasn't convinced the defender could cope with the rigours of football's showpiece event.

"He was obviously very disappointed," said Postecoglou, who informed Neill of his axing a week ahead of officially announcing his squad out of respect for the player. "It was difficult. He has worked damn hard to try and get himself ready and available. He has shown an enormous determination to go to this World Cup.

"I just had to make a decision not so much about the recent history, but the last six months," he added. "In terms of form and fitness, there just wasn't enough evidence there for me to say that he would be able to hold up in the World Cup."

Either Crystal Palace midfielder Mile Jedinak or former Everton stalwart Tim Cahill are favoured to be named captain for the World Cup next month. Australia have Spain, Netherlands and Chile in their group.

Neill, who made his international debut in 1996, has led Australia 60 times but has struggled for game time since a stint in Japan ended last November. He finally signed with English championship team Watford in February before a loan move to Doncaster Rovers.

"He was probably a little bit unlucky in a couple of the moves he made ... if post-Christmas, from January onwards, if he'd had four months of football under his belt I guess a different decision would have been made," Postecoglou said. "It's not easy. He has shown outstanding determination and it's a credit to him, you can see why he has played for his country as many times as he has and why he was a leader."

Since Postecoglou was appointed coach following the sacking of German Holger Osieck last October, many of the veterans from Australia's 2010 World Cup campaign have called it quits, including Mark Schwarzer, Harry Kewell and Brett Emerton.

Uploads

Cahill looks to inspire young Socceroos

Australian talisman Tim Cahill will have to roll back the years when he leads a transitional Socceroos team in a difficult FIFA World Cup™ group.

The former Everton star is his country's record scorer and he will be keen to make amends for 2010, when he was sent off in the first game as Australia went out in the group stage. Much will depend on Cahill, one of the last survivors of Australia's "golden generation" including Harry Kewell, Mark Schwarzer and Mark Viduka.

But now at 34, and winding down his career with the New York Red Bulls, age is not on Cahill's side as Australia take on champions Spain, the Netherlands and Chile in Group B. However he fares in Brazil, the attacking midfielder, with the uncanny knack of scoring crucial goals, will always hold a special place in the hearts of Australian fans.

Cahill first made his mark with English club Millwall whom he inspired to a surprise appearance at the 2004 FA Cup final, which earned him a move to Everton. He became his country's leading scorer with 31 goals in 67 internationals following his brace in the 4-3 friendly loss to Ecuador in London in March.

"It's a dream come true," he said at the time. "Just to play for your country is one thing but to break this record is something else. It was a real proud moment for me."

Cahill's great strength is his ability to reach the heights for headed goals, remarkable in that he is just 1.78 metres tall. Among his many crucial goals was Australia's first-ever goal at a World Cup, on the way to a brace in the 3-1 upset of Japan at Germany in 2006. But despite his acclaimed performance in 2006, the World Cup has bitter-sweet memories for Cahill.

Four years ago in South Africa, he was sent off during Australia's 4-0 defeat to Germany and missed the next game. Australia managed only a 1-1 draw with Ghana and dropped out of the tournament even though Cahill came back to score in Australia's 2-1 win in the final group game against Serbia.

Now Cahill, born in Sydney to a Samoan mother, will hope to write a new chapter in Brazil, his third and final World Cup campaign.

And fans will hope to have another chance to see his famous goal celebration of launching a flurry of punches at the corner flag.

Uploads

World Cup injury scare for Aussie Jedinak

Australian midfielder Mile Jedinak, who is expected to be named the national captain this week, has sent an injury scare through the 2014 World Cup Brazil™ squad after limping off in Crystal Palace's 2-2 draw with Fulham.

Jedinak appeared in pain when he was substituted after 59 minutes with a groin strain and he is set to undergo scans this week to determine the extent of the problem, Football Federation Australia said on its website.

Reports said he would not be able to train or play before the squad reaches Brazil, which would rule him out of the Socceroos warm-up against South Africa in Sydney on 26 May.

National coach Ange Postecoglou will name Australia's 30-man preliminary World Cup squad on Wednesday with Jedinak widely tipped to become captain after veteran Lucas Neill was informed last week he was no longer needed.

Jedinak, 29, wore the skipper's armband in the Socceroos' most recent match against Ecuador in March.

The injury brought to an end his impressive record of playing in every single minute of the Premier League season for Crystal Palace.

Uploads

Jedinak confident of World Cup fitness

Australia's star midfielder Mile Jedinak said on Tuesday he is confident of being fit for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ despite picking up a groin injury playing for his club Crystal Palace.

Jedinak, who is expected to be named national captain on Wednesday when Ange Postecoglou announces his squad for Brazil, said he expected to be sidelined for three weeks but the results of a scan were "as good as I could have hoped for".

"It's a little bit sore and it's going to mean I miss a couple of weeks or so, but I just got the scan results back and honestly the news is probably as good as I could have hoped for," he told Sydney newspaper The Daily Telegraph.

"The doctors say I'm looking at two to three weeks, so I have to concentrate now on doing everything in my power to be ready in that timeframe."

Jedinak said the injury "came on all of a sudden" in the game against Fulham on Sunday and he was "seriously glad" to be substituted after 59 minutes.

The 29-year-old may delay his return to Australia to join the Socceroos' training camp starting on Thursday.

"I'm definitely coming back to Australia at some point in the next couple of weeks; the club and the national team staff are just working out the details now of exactly what the rehab will be," Jedinak said.

The injury sent a scare through the World Cup squad, with Australia in one of the tournament's toughest groups. They play their first game against Chile at Cuiaba on 13 June.

Jedinak told the newspaper he had not heard anything about wearing the captain's armband, but said it would be a "huge honour" if he was handed the role by Postecoglou.

"When the armband is given to you, the feeling in your head is just wow - you think of the people who have had the honour of captaining the side before, the characters, and it's a special feeling," he said.

Uploads

Postecoglou springs surprises in Aussie squad

Coach Ange Postecoglou named Preston North End's Bailey Wright as a surprise selection in Australia's inexperienced provisional 30-man 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ squad on Wednesday.

The 21-year-old English-based central defender, who has yet to play for his country, was one of two unexpected picks, along with Fortuna Dusseldorf forward Ben Halloran.

Only eight players - Tim Cahill, Josh Kennedy, Mark Milligan, Mile Jedinak, Mark Bresciano, Luke Wilkshire, Eugene Galekovic and Dario Vidosic - remain from the squad that went to South Africa for the 2010 World Cup.

Goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, former captain and defender Lucas Neill, forward Harry Kewell and midfielders Brett Emerton and Brett Holman have all announced their international retirements in recent times, leaving the Socceroos in a state of transition.

"The squad has been selected with form and fitness as key indicators as well as having one eye on the future," said Postecoglou.

"We face a formidable challenge in Brazil but it is also a big opportunity and we head to the World Cup with no barriers as we look to write a new chapter in our rich football history."

Australia will face reigning world champions Spain, Netherlands and Chile in Group B. Chile are their first opponents in Curitiba on 13 June with the squad heading to Brazil on 28 May.

Australia squad

Goalkeepers
    : Mat Ryan (Club Brugge/Belgium), Mitch Langerak (Borussia Dortmund/Germany), Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United)

Defenders
    : Ivan Franjic (Brisbane Roar), Matthew Spiranovic (Western Sydney Wanderers), Curtis Good (Newcastle United/England), Bailey Wright (Preston North End/England), Jason Davidson (Heracles Almelo/Netherlands), Luke Wilkshire (Dynamo Moscow/Russia), Alex Wilkinson (Jeonbuk Motors/Korea Republic), Ryan McGowan (Shandong Luneng/China PR)

Midfielders
    : Mile Jedinak (Crystal Palace/England), Mark Milligan (Melbourne Victory), James Holland (Austria Vienna/Austria), Massimo Luongo (Swindon Town/England), Adam Sarota (FC Utrecht/Netherlands), Oliver Bozanic (Luzern/Switzerland), Matt McKay (Brisbane Roar), Mark Bresciano (Al Gharafa/Qatar), Josh Brillante (Newcastle Jets)

Forwards
    : Tim Cahill (New York Red Bulls/USA), Josh Kennedy (Nagoya Grampus/Japan), Tom Rogic (Melbourne Victory), Dario Vidosic (Sion/Switzerland), Tommy Oar (FC Utrecht/Netherlands), James Troisi (Melbourne Victory), Ben Halloran (Fortuna Dusseldorf/Germany), Adam Taggart (Newcastle Jets, Matthew Leckie (FSV Frankfurt/Germany)

* Squad lists are only official once they have been confirmed and published by FIFA on 16 May at 12:00 CET.

Uploads

Davidson’s hard road to Socceroo success

Australia full-back Jason Davidson might be one of the younger and more inexperienced players in next month’s rarefied FIFA World Cup™ atmosphere. Few, however, will surpass the 22-year-old for sheer resilience and internal fortitude.

Davidson’s back-story is a classic tale of taking the hard road to success. A reserved but friendly disposition provides little evidence of Davidson’s ability to endure hardship. An unforgiving and largely isolating three-year period at a strict private high school in Tokyo toughened up the Melbourne-born youngster. It may have been a harsh experience at the time for the teenager, but the dividends are now being yielded.

After school at just 18, he moved to Portugal and spent two years at Pacos de Ferreira without the benefit of a support network. So too, his international debut a few years later would have broken a lesser character. Just three minutes into his first match in the Green and Gold he inadvertently, yet spectacularly, directed a header into his own net. Yet fast forward to the present day and Davidson is a key component of the Socceroos’ new breed under the forward-thinking Ange Postecoglou.

Courage and strength
    Davidson, who now calls Dutch Eredivisie club Heracles Almelo home, is favoured to slot in at left-back when Australia take the field in Brazil. It has been a troublesome position for the Socceroos since the retirement of Scott Chipperfield in 2010, but Postecoglou was unusually fulsome in his praise after Davidson’s maiden appearance on home soil last November against Costa Rica.

“It is a difficult position for many teams in the world,” Davidson told FIFA.com. “But Ange has given us all a level of confidence. He keeps our confidence high and keeps us trying to play some pretty football.

“It (Brazil 2014) is a once in lifetime opportunity. In football you never know what is around the corner. Obviously it was always a dream and target to play in the World Cup so I’m grateful things have fallen into place.”

While his move to Portugal as a teenager was isolating, it was nothing compared to his previous experience in Tokyo. When Davidson first arrived as a 14-year-old he was forced to shave his head for being a minute late to football training. Given the rest of team had to follow suit, the youngster took a full 18 months to fit in socially. “It was hell,” Davidson recalls.

Portugal too may have been challenging but Davidson had learned the value of sticking to a mission. “As a youngster there are a lot of distractions, including off the pitch. I had to learn Portuguese and not many people spoke English. At the start it was quite difficult, but I kept pushing and pushing and maintained that Aussie spirit.”

Like father, like son
    Growing up Jason benefited from some serious school yard credibility courtesy of father Alan who enjoyed a decorated international and club career. There have been a handful of father and son combinations play for Australia, but none of those involved come close to matching Alan’s glittering resume. Davidson senior was a permanent member of the Australia line-up during the 1980s playing in three World Cup campaigns at full-back, and more recently was included in the Socceroos’ all-time XI.

Jason, who says he is just old enough to have dim memories of his father playing, is very clear on his career mentors. “I’m very close to both parents,” he says. “I speak every day to my dad even when I’m overseas. He has experienced and lived this life so it would be stupid of me not to listen and take his advice. We have a plan which I’m trying to execute. To work hard and hopefully become successful.”

Davidson senior, whose mother was Japanese, turned out for Nottingham Forest in the mid 1980s, becoming one of the first Australians in the modern era to play in Europe. Yet it was Jason’s mother that initially encouraged him to play football. “My dad wanted me to go to school, because he knew how hard and lonely it can be as a footballer,” Davidson said. “But at a certain age he saw I was serious as a footballer and he coached a lot of my junior teams. We worked together almost every day.”

Somewhat unusually Davidson went through around half a dozen clubs as a junior. “My dad’s philosophy was that I should always change teams so that I never felt settled and was always challenged.”

So after so much time together do they share similar football attributes? “I think maybe I am a bit more of an attacking defender,” Davidson says before adding they share a spirited on-field nature “he drove that into me at a young age, and I think it is a good attribute to have.”

Uploads

Spiranovic signs Wanderers deal

Young defender Matthew Spiranovic has re-signed with Western Sydney Wanderers for a further two seasons just weeks before playing for Australia at the FIFA World Cup™ in Brazil. Spiranovic, who turns 26 next month, had a stand-out debut season with the Wanderers, culminating in a Socceroos World Cup squad selection.

Spiranovic played 18 times in this season's Australian A-League, including one goal scored in this year's Grand Final, as well as making five appearances in the AFC Champions League where the Wanderers have reached the quarter-finals.

"I had other options overseas and in Australia but what swayed me was the culture that Popa (coach Tony Popovic) has installed at the club," said Spiranovic, who has played with Nurnberg in Germany and Urawa Red Diamonds in Japan.

"While clubs from Europe and Asia were calling, as a player, you always want to be playing in the big games against the best teams. By signing with the Wanderers I know I will get the opportunity to do that and continue to improve my football."

Spiranovic, who has been capped 17 times for the Socceroos since his debut in 2008, was named this week in Ange Postecoglou's preliminary 30-man squad.

Uploads

Rogic nearing full fitness

Emerging Australia midfield star Tom Rogic believes he is close to full fitness in the countdown to next month's 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™. Since making his Socceroos debut in 2012 Rogic, 21, has been considered a star in the making with coach Ange Postecoglou declaring him a "leading light" as he attempts to rebuild the Australia side.

Acting on the advice of Postecoglou, Rogic made the move from Scottish champions Celtic to Melbourne Victory in January in an effort to get more game time. He made only 11 appearances in the A-League and AFC Champions League before a groin injury ended his season prematurely.

But Rogic said he still got enough minutes under his belt and, having trained with Socceroos squad, was feeling close to full fitness. "I came back and played a good amount of games in a short period of time," Rogic told reporters at the team camp. "It was unfortunate to be injured for the last three or four weeks of the season. But I've been training fully the last few days and the last couple of weeks too. So I'm slowly building."

Australia play a warm-up match against South Africa in Sydney on 26 May before heading to Brazil. The Socceroos face the might of reigning world champions Spain, the Netherlands and Chile in Group B and kick off against Chile on 13 June.

Uploads

Jedinak named new Aussie skipper

Midfielder Mile Jedinak has been named Australia skipper for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ following the omission of Lucas Neill from Ange Postecoglou’s squad.

Captain of English Premier League side Crystal Palace over the past two seasons the 29-year-old follows Peter Wilson (1974), Mark Viduka (2006) and Lucas Neill (2010) as Australians who have captained the Socceroos at the world’s biggest football tournament.

“It is a privileged position and an accolade he richly deserves after the incredible job he has done at Crystal Palace in the toughest club competition in world football – the English Premier League,” said Postecoglou.

“Mile Jedinak embodies everything that is great about Australian football and Australia as a nation. He has risen to the top of world football and done it the hard way from humble beginnings where he has battled and believed in himself to overcome the odds with an enormous work ethic and passion for what he does.

“I have no doubt he will lead the team with distinction in Brazil and we will have two of our greatest ever football players in Tim Cahill and Mark Bresciano giving the team what I believe is strong leadership.

“Mile will be our captain but all three players will share the onus of leading this group to the World Cup where we will be representing the people of Australia with enormous pride and drive. We are going to Brazil to do all 23 million Australians proud.”

Jedinak was honoured to be named Socceroo captain for Brazil 2014 after leading Australia for the first time in the international friendly against Ecuador in London in March.

“To be handed the responsibility of captaining my country at the World Cup is humbling, yet incredibly exciting,” Jedinak said. “Just pulling the Socceroo shirt on fills me with pride but to be leading out my country and these players at the World Cup on behalf of all Australians is special.

“It is an honour to be named captain but it is also a huge responsibility and I look forward to providing leadership for the team along with Tim (Cahill) and Mark (Bresciano) as we take on some of the biggest nations in world football.”

Australia will face South Africa next Monday in Sydney in their final match before departing for Brazil, where they have grouped alongside Chile, Netherlands and Spain.

Uploads

Cahill grabs Socceroos draw with South Africa

Stand-in captain Tim Cahill scored the equaliser as Australia drew 1-1 at home to South Africa in their final outing before the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ travelling party is selected.

Cahill, given the armband in the absence of the injured Crystal Palace midfielder Mile Jedinak, headed in Tommy Oar's cross moments after Ayanda Patosi had converted a rebound from Rantie's 12th-minute shot in Sydney's ANZ Stadium.

Australia pressed for a winner after the break with Matthew Leckie, Mark Milligan, Ben Halloran and Dario Vidosic all going close.

However, injury to right-back Ivan Franjic early in the second half will be a concern for Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou, who has to reduce his 30-man provisional squad to a travelling party of 27 on Tuesday, with the final cut to 23 coming on 2 June.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast