Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mexico

Uploads

Mexico

Mexico coach Miguel Herrera announced his 23-man squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™, with the inclusion of veteran defender Carlos Salcido perhaps the biggest surprise.

Tigres player Salcido, 34, who featured at the 2006 and 2010 World Cups, had not previously been involved with El Tri since Herrera took over as coach last year. The majority of the squad are based at home, including former Barcelona defender Rafael Marquez, now of Leon, who will be featuring at his fourth consecutive World Cup finals.

Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez of Manchester United is the best known European-based player in Herrera's squad, which does not feature Javier Aquino of Villarreal or Carlos Vela of Real Sociedad.

Mexico toiled in qualifying for the World Cup, needing a play-off against New Zealand to make it to Brazil after finishing fourth in the final CONCACAF qualifying group.

They are in Group A at the World Cup, alongside hosts Brazil, Croatia and Cameroon. Their opening game will be against Cameroon in Natal on 13 June.

Mexico squad

Goalkeepers:
    Jesus Corona (Cruz Azul), Alfredo Talavera (Toluca), Guillermo Ochoa (AC Ajaccio/FRA)

Defenders:
    Paul Aguilar, Miguel Layun (both Club America), Hector Moreno (Espanyol/ESP), Diego Reyes (FC Porto/POR), Francisco Rodriguez (Club America), Rafael Marquez (Leon), Carlos Salcido (Tigres)

Midfielders:
    Hector Herrera (FC Porto/POR), Jose Juan Vazquez (Leon), Juan Carlos Medina (Club America), Carlos Pena (Leon), Isaac Brizuela (Toluca), Luis Montes (Leon), Marco Fabian (Cruz Azul), Andres Guardado (Bayer Leverkusen/GER)

Forwards:
    Oribe Peralta (Santos Laguna), Javier Hernandez (Manchester United/ENG), Raul Jimenez (Club America), Alan Pulido (Tigres), Giovani dos Santos (Villarreal/ESP)

* Squad lists are only official once they have been confirmed and published by FIFA on 16 May at 12:00 CET.

Uploads

Mexico beat Israel in Blanco farewell

Mexico defeated Israel 3-0 in a FIFA World Cup™ warm-up game on Wednesday that doubled as a farewell for iconic forward Cuauhtemoc Blanco, who brought his backheel magic one last time.

The nearly packed 105,000-capacity Azteca Stadium in Mexico City erupted in cheers every time Blanco, 41, touched the ball during his 38 minutes on the pitch.

Wearing the captain's armband, the number 10 showed flashes of his younger days, making three backheel passes, nearly setting up a goal and taking a free-kick that sailed too high. Mexico coach Miguel Herrera had originally planned to let Blanco play 20 minutes. But he gave fans more time with their idol before replacing him with young striker Raul Jimenez.

Blanco, who scored 39 goals for Mexico, including three in three World Cups, was given a standing ovation at half-time as he took a victory lap. Defying his age, the playmaker who once played for Mexico's Club America and Spain's Valladolid recently signed with Mexican first division team Puebla.

Two of Mexico's goals were courtesy of wingback Miguel Layun, with some help from Israeli goalkeeper Ariel Harush, who failed to punch out the first one and saw the ball float into the net after touching the ball on the second one. Marco Fabian made it 3-0 with a shot at the edge of the penalty area in the 85th minute.

But the party atmosphere was marred in the second half when Mexico goalkeeper Jose de Jesus Corona was carried out on a stretcher and replaced after the leg of one of his defenders accidentally hit him in the back of the head.

It was Mexico's last game at home before embarking on a US tour for matches against Ecuador, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Portugal.

Mexico, who struggled to qualify for the tournament, are in Group A at the World Cup. Their first game will be against Cameroon on 13 June followed by a 17 June clash against hosts Brazil and a 23 June game against Croatia.

Uploads

Broken leg rules out Mexico's Montes

Luis Montes will not compete for Mexico at the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ after suffering a serious leg fracture during a 3-1 victory over Ecuador in a friendly on Saturday.

Midfielder Montes had just scored the goal that put Mexico in front two minutes earlier when he collided with Ecuador's Segundo Castillo during a race for a loose ball. Montes was carted off in obvious pain on a stretcher in front of the pro-Mexican crowd of almost 85,000 at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium.

Israel Marquez, a spokesman for the Mexican Football Federation, said on his Twitter account that "it seems a fractured tibia and fibula." It is a big blow for Mexico who are using this and other games over the next couple of weeks as a tune up for Brazil 2014. Mexico's next international friendly is Tuesday against Bosnia-Herzegovina in Chicago. They play Portugal on Friday.

Uploads

Herrera: We'll cut off Neymar's supply

Following a tumultuous qualifying campaign for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™, which featured a series of coaching changes and resulted in Mexico needing a play-off against New Zealand to finally secure their tournament ticket, current boss Miguel Herrera and his El Tri charges look to have definitively turned the page on those travails.

Indeed, the vibe emanating from the Azteca camp could barely be more different to the darker days of the North, Central America and Caribbean Zone qualifying phase, with plenty of good humour and smiles on show – particularly in a squad ‘selfie’ that ran riot on social networks. Nor are hope and expectation in short supply either, despite being drawn in Group A alongside host nation and title favourites Brazil.

With only around a fortnight to go before his side tackle A Verde e Amarelo, El Piojo Herrera spoke with FIFA.com about the shared footballing history between Brazil and Mexico, including how his country fell in love with the 1970 Seleção; El Tri’s big-game hoodoo over the South American giants; and how Brazil will need to watch out for “our hard work and determination” come 17 June in Fortaleza.

FIFA.com: Mexican fans have a real soft spot for Brazilian football, possibly thanks to the manner of A Canarinho’s victory at Mexico 1970. What does it mean to you and the squad to play at these finals in Brazil?
    Miguel Herrera: Well, we all saw how the Mexican people fell in love with Brazil in Guadalajara [where Pele and Co played all but one of their matches at Mexico 1970], while they also got great backing at the [Mexico] 1986 finals. There’s a special fondness for them back home, thanks to how much those two World Cup experiences with them meant. For us it’s something truly exceptional to be here, though we can hardly expect the home fans to support us as we’re in the same group [as Brazil]. That said, it’d be fantastic if we can both qualify [for the Round of 16]. I’m sure the fans will get behind us and support us once that second group match [between the teams] is over, while loads of Mexicans will come down too. Let there be no doubt, us Mexicans get everywhere!

Mexico have always proved testing opponents for Brazil and have even beaten A Seleção in a number of decisive encounters. How do you explain this trend?
    There’s no question we perform better against stronger teams – that’s always been the case with us. When Mexico face up to Brazil of course they're really up for it, they look to put in a big performance. We lost 2-0 against them in the last Confederations Cup, though they only got their second late on. We had played well and even had chances to level the match. In the [final of the] Olympic Football Tournament [in 2012] Mexico won, while at the last U-17 World Cup [in 2013] we won too [on penalties in the quarter-finals]. We generally play good football against Brazil. We mustn’t forget that we’re going to be taking on the host nation, historically the competition’s strongest side, but we have to give it absolutely everything. Beating Brazil in Brazil would get us noticed and make us feel on top of the world. That’s the way we need to approach this.

What will Brazil need to be wary of when they face Mexico?
    Our hard work and determination. We’re going to fight for and try to win every loose ball. I’m also certain we’ll cover a lot more ground than them, because if we want to win we’ll have to run our socks off. They’re a team that knows what to do with the ball, featuring players who can turn a game in an instant and can easily beat one or two men. There’s Neymar and Hulk, while I could list four, five or even six of their players who are all capable of tipping the balance. But if we can manage to double up on them in most areas of the pitch and prevent them running with the ball too much, I think we can be solid enough to then try and score ourselves.

Is there any one Brazil-Mexico clash you remember particularly vividly?
    All the games we’ve played against them that I’ve been involved with or watched have been positive for Mexico. There was the Confederations Cup [in 1999] when we beat Brazil [in the final] in Mexico, or that [CONCACAF] Gold Cup they were invited to take part in [and lost to Mexico in the final in 2003]. I once even came to play [for Mexico in] a friendly against Brazil in Maceio, which we drew 1-1. I repeat, we can play well against the big teams.

Will Neymar be the hosts’ main threat on 17 June?
    Well clearly, as I feel he’s Brazil’s most gifted player. He’s the figurehead of this team and currently of this World Cup, as it’s on home soil. They love him here. We’ll have to be really on our toes to stop a player of his ability.

How do you stop him?
    By trying to stop him receiving the ball, that’s the best way. Once he’s got the ball he’s a guy who can tip the balance – he’s got so much skill he can beat one, two or even three players. We have to try and cut off the service: stopping him getting on the ball will be really important.

Can you draw any conclusions from the tactical approach used by Mexico versus Brazil in the final of London 2012? It worked perfectly then…
    Totally, we’re going to try and cut off the service like on that day. Neymar didn’t see much of the ball and that’s how Mexico won the game. We’ll try something very similar. That said, given that this time we’re facing the senior Brazil side there’ll be even more quality players, but there’s no doubt we’ll keep a watchful eye on preventing Neymar linking up with his team-mates and vice-versa.

Uploads

Moreno: Mexico can surprise people

When Hector Moreno talks about the Mexican national team, he speaks from experience. Despite being only 26 years of age, he has been through it all with his country since his two appearances at FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010™. The central defender’s continued selection has provided much-needed stability for El Tricolor, over what has otherwise been a turbulent four years for the team. As Brazil 2014 draws ever closer, the Espanyol player is therefore perfectly qualified to analyse the state of the current team and to assess their chances at the biggest event in world football. FIFA.com caught up with the defender to hear all his thoughts at first-hand.

A bumpy road
    The journey to Brazil 2014 proved to be a somewhat turbulent one for Los Aztecas, who at various points seemed on the verge of missing out on the tournament. But those experiences have left the centre-half appreciating the opportunity to play in his second FIFA World Cup even more: “In all honesty, I’m very excited. Although we always believed in ourselves, we went through some difficult moments. Now we feel that the worst is behind us, and we’re so motivated to get out there and play a great tournament.” The central defender even believes that those highs and lows could prove to be a blessing in disguise for the Mexican team. “We’re arriving under a lot less pressure than on past occasions, when people expected great things from the team. The general feeling is that we don’t have anything to lose, and that’s how we’re approaching it. I think that we’ll pleasantly surprise a lot of people.”

Moreno has matured greatly over the last four years and, as the player himself acknowledges, now bears little resemblance to the 22-year-old who played at South Africa 2010. “It’s very different. Back then everything was new and unexpected. Now things have changed. I have much more international experience, but also the bad times help you to remain level-headed. I think I’m enjoying it more this time around, because I know how hard it was to get here.”

Emotional setbacks
    However, it is not just results that have not been going Mexico’s way. In recent weeks two members of the squad, Juan Carlos Medina and Luis Montes, have seen their World Cup dreams shattered due to injury. The latter dramatically suffered a shocking fracture of tibia and fibula in a friendly match against Ecuador, an incident that coach Miguel Herrera said had left his team “devastated”. However, Moreno believes that the squad has channelled this emotion in the right way: “Obviously it was very hard to see a team-mate’s dreams cut short like that. However, this has become an extra source of motivation for us. We want to win for ourselves and for our fans, but also for our injured team-mates."

Strengthened by this capacity to confront adversity head on, El Tri are looking ahead to the start of the World Cup with optimism. “We can’t let ourselves be overcome by adversity,” said the defender, who has been capped 53 times by his country. "For example, we’re playing against the hosts, Brazil, who will have thousands of spectators supporting them. Are we going to let that overwhelm us? Not at all. We’ve beaten them before and we’re confident that we can do it again. You never know what football will throw up, and it’s up to us to deal with whatever comes our way."

With all this experience, Moreno will not allow himself to get carried away or to set unrealistic goals. “I don’t like to talk about reaching a specific round or making history. I’ll be satisfied if we give it our all and leave everything out on the field of play. If we do that, I believe everything will turn out fine although, as I’ve already said, in football you can’t take anything for granted." Mexico’s defensive stalwart therefore has one last plea for his team’s fans: “I want to ask them to believe in us, to let them know that we’re as excited as they are. For us it’s a dream to be here, and we’re going to do everything possible to make the next month an unforgettable one for our fans.”

Uploads

Mexico relying on marshal Marquez

He may be 35-years-old but centre-back Rafael Marquez remains an important leader for Mexico ahead of the FIFA World Cup™ in Brazil.
    The former Barcelona player will be appearing in his fourth World Cup for the Aztecs and coach Miguel Herrera says his presence is of huge benefit to the other members of the squad. "Bringing Rafael Marquez along has had an important impact on the lads, he's someone his team-mates have a lot of respect for, he's a natural leader," Herrera said.

Two years ago, Marquez's career seemed to be winding down after ten years and 120 caps as his country's captain. He had left Barça to join New York Red Bulls of Major League Soccer (MLS) in 2010, while in 2012 he was discarded from the Mexico set-up. But a move to Mexican giants Leon in 2013 helped resurrect both his club and international career as he helped the side to the last two Mexican titles. And now he is set to extend his record 12 World Cup appearances for his country.

"Rafa Marquez is a marshal, a commander in chief, he's the most intelligent, most lucid, most technical (of the players)," former Mexico striker Luis Garcia said. Marquez's comeback to the Mexico fold was much needed as the team was on the brink of failing to qualify for the World Cup, for the first time since being banned from the 1990 edition for using over-aged players in qualification for the 1989 World Youth Championships, as they underwent a disastrous CONCACAF qualification phase.

They needed two injury-time goals by the USA in their 3-2 win at Panama to avoid being knocked out of the competition. But that ensured they would play New Zealand in a play-off to reach the finals, with Mexico finding their form to trounce the All Whites 9-3 on aggregate.

Uploads

Marquez: Mexico can make history

Mexico skipper Rafael Marquez believes the Aztecs can end a near three-decade absence from the quarter-finals and go on to challenge at the FIFA World Cup™. Mexico host Cameroon at Estadio das Dunas in Natal on Friday looking for three points that will be crucial if they are to go into their further Group A games against hosts Brazil and Croatia with confidence. Despite a shaky qualifying campaign and recent friendly losses to Bosnia and Portugal, veteran defender Marquez says confidence is brimming in the Mexico camp.

"This is a window for all of us, for many of the players it's a huge opportunity to raise their level and for others to see us play," 35-year-old Marquez told reporters on Thursday. "You don't get many chances to do that. That's what I always tell the lads. Our group is strong and in our minds we believe we can make it all the way to the finals and make history." Miguel Herrera is in charge of the side that has failed in the past five World Cups to get to the crucial 'fifth game'. But the 46-year-old, who only took charge in time for a two-legged playoff win over New Zealand that secured Mexico's ticket to the finals, is confident his side have the quality to throw their hat into a ring expected to be dominated by Brazil, Spain, Argentina, the Netherlands and Germany.

"The group is very robust. I've been very impressed how hard they have been working coming into the World Cup," said Herrera. "After every training session finishes I feel reassured because I know that every single one of the players is going to run themselves into the ground in a bid to help us get through this group and go on to make history."

Mexico have never faced Cameroon, and while Herrera said his technical team have done their homework on what he regards as a "strong side who move quickly up the pitch," Marquez has pointed to the danger posed by Chelsea striker Samuel Eto'o. The pair played together at Barcelona, and Marquez, now with Mexican side Leon, added: "It will be special because he's a good friend of mine. We were teammates at Barcelona. Now we're opponents and I'll have to be on top of him because he's one of the pillars of their team. "It's crucial we start well, take the three points and build momentum for the big challenges that lie ahead."

Uploads

Hernandez left on the bench for Group A clash with Cameroon

Manchester United striker Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez has paid for a frustrating season with his club by being relegated to the bench for Mexico's opening World Cup Group A tie with Cameroon on Friday. Hernandez only started six league games for a struggling United side this season, managing just four goals in 24 appearances, 18 as a substitute, in the Premier League. Instead, coach Miguel Herrera, who Thursday named his entire starting line-up for the game in Natal, has opted for in-form duo Oribe Peralta and Giovani dos Santos.

"There is very good chemistry between them," said Herrera as a way of explanation for Hernandez's omission. The other main selection was that of Ajaccio goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa over Jose Corona and Alfredo Talavera. Mexico come into the tournament on the back of a poor qualification campaign in which they finished fourth in the CONCACAF final group and needed a play-off against New Zealand to secure their place in Brazil.

However, ten of their squad played in the gold medal-winning side at the London 2012 Olympic Games that beat Brazil in the final. They will also face Brazil and Croatia in Group A at the World Cup.

Uploads

Peralta: We'll make life difficult for Brazil

“I was just in the right place at the right time,” he said humbly, lowering his gaze to the floor. But it was not the first time that Oribe Peralta has rescued Mexico, and El Tri's fans will hope that it will not prove to be the last. The striker sealed victory for Mexico in his FIFA World Cup™ debut against Cameroon at Brazil 2014, but he had already been his country’s hero twice previously: first in the final of the Olympic Games in 2012 against Brazil, when his two goals won Mexico the gold medal, and then by scoring five times over the two legs of a play-off against New Zealand to qualify for this tournament.

“I’m glad to have played my part in those victories, but it’s a team effort," he told FIFA.com. "It falls to me to put the ball in, because I’m the closest player to the goal, but it comes as a result of everybody’s hard work. For the clash with Cameroon, the Club America forward reserved special praise for his team-mate Giovani dos Santos who, despite recent criticism from the public, was arguably Mexico’s key player on the day. “It’s his goal too. He hit the shot, the goalkeeper saved it and the ball fell to me,” explained Peralta, known to his countrymen by the nickname ‘El Hermoso’. "Gio is a player who we all turn to. He helps you a lot out on the pitch, he works very hard and he always looks for a way to get the win for his team."

If there were doubts hanging over Gio’s form on the eve of the match, the same can be said of Oribe’s very involvement. Many voices were calling for Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández to be named in the starting eleven. “We don’t let these things affect us. There’s healthy competition during our training sessions, everyone is giving their all to be named in the team. And after that, it’s up to the coach to decide who are the best men for the job and who’s going to play,” he added. "What’s clear is that nobody can relax. Nobody can be sure of starting every match, we all have to show that we deserve it out on the field of play and in training,” he continued, firmly. And could the two of them play together? “Yes, of course! I get on very well with him. And if that’s what Herrera wants, that’s how it will be.”

Infectious optimism
    Miguel Herrera has been one of the key reasons behind El Tri’s recent resurgence. And he has not only brought in changes to the group’s football, but also to their mindset. “He has very much a winning mentality and he transmits this to all of us. We believe in ourselves, we give our all and we do what he asks of us: keep the ball," said Peralta. “After a difficult qualification, this team is clearly looking much better now. We have settled into a rhythm. And also, we have a lot of supporters here, following us and believing in us. This drives us on to give even more,” he added, still impressed by the amount of compatriots who have made the journey to Brazil.

“Thanks to the first win, we are very calm about the Brazil match, about taking another step forwards to achieving our goal. But the Brazil team is tough, very tough,” he warned, more seriously all of a sudden, as his conversation with FIFA.com came to an end. “We’re going to make life difficult for them, because this game will be crucial. Still, it’s a team that, if we play well, we can beat.” Beware Brazil, because if there is anyone who knows how to beat the hosts, it is Peralta. After all, this is the man who snatched the Olympic gold medals from around their necks. Always a player for the big occasion, who is to say that Peralta will not be the hero again in Fortaleza? His fans certainly believe in him, and he seems to always repay their faith.

Uploads

Ochoa saves a slice of history

A perfect cross from the right sends the ball arrowing into the area where it is met by Brazil’s No10 who, hanging in the air after a prodigious leap, sends a seemingly unstoppable header powering towards goal. Yet as Seleção fans prepare to celebrate, the opposing keeper appears on the scene, launching himself full stretch to somehow get a hand on the ball, turn it away to safety and leave his mark on FIFA World Cup™ history. The above description could easily cover a save that, for many experts, is considered the finest in World Cup history – when England legend Gordon Banks denied Pele in the sides' group clash at Mexico 1970. However, in this case the men involved are Mexican custodian Guillermo Ochoa and Brazil’s Neymar, with the former also pulling out a series of other sublime stops to ensure El Tri held the hosts 0-0 in their Group A meeting in Fortaleza.

‘An instinctive reaction’
    It should come as no shock then that, after the match, Los Aztecas’ No13 was smiling from ear to ear as he described his miracle save to FIFA.com and gave his insight on the rest of a remarkable showing. “I was watching the move unfold and, when I saw Dani Alves was going to send in a cross, I looked across the box and saw Neymar was being tightly marked by Rafa Marquez. “I didn’t think he’d manage to get an effort on goal, but even so I got into position to make sure I was ready,” revealed Memo. “Suddenly I saw he’d won the header and after that everything was instinctive. I pushed off with my feet, stretched as far as I could and managed to keep the ball out.”

From the very moment it happened, comparisons with Banks’ 'Save of the Century’ began flooding in and, when the two sequences are compared, the similarities are indeed remarkable. “Of course I know that save, I’ve seen it loads of times!” said a humble but visibly delighted Ochoa. “I know it’s considered the best save in [World Cup] history and it’s a real honour that people are saying mine was similar. I genuinely feel very flattered.”

The perfect setting
    For those that have followed Ochoa throughout his career, spectacular saves and performances come as no surprise. Even so, though he put in no shortage of fine displays with latest employers AC Ajaccio, now his contract with the Ligue 1 outfit is over, Mexico’s standout performer in their opening two games is currently without a club. “Of course it’s not the same [as a normal league game]. This is the World Cup, up against the host nation… the setting could not have been better,” continued the former CF America keeper. “I was really determined to have a good game and I think that I managed to do my bit when I was needed.”

As expected, plenty more praise would come the shotstopper’s way after the final whistle, with team-mate Hector Moreno leading the way. “He was incredible,” said the RCD Espanyol defender. “He might not have been that well-known before because he’s been playing for a small club, but this comes as no surprise to those of us who work with him every day.” “He saved us today,” said wide-man Andres Guardado. “Sometimes we had the feeling that, however many times they went for goal, he wasn’t going to let anything get past him.”

That said, both players professed their hope that Ochoa has less to do in El Tri’s final group encounter against Croatia, though the on-form keeper is ready for whatever comes his way. “Sometimes it’s our turn to catch the eye and other times it’s someone else's,” he said as the interview concluded. “Of course I’d like to have less to do, but in my position you’ve got to be constantly alert, whether you’re needed just once or loads of times. And that’s what I’ll keep training for.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast