Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russia

Uploads

Russia

Lokomotiv Moscow stars Roman Pavlyuchenko and Dmitry Tarasov are the surprise omissions from Russia's provisional 30-man 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ squad, announced by coach Fabio Capello.

Instead, Capello has called up veteran forward Pavel Pogrebnyak, 30, who is currently playing in the second tier of English football with Reading. Capello's decision to leave out midfielder Tarasov was dictated by the fact he was sidelined earlier this year with a cruciate ligament injury and is unlikely to be fully fit in time for the start of the World Cup in June.

The majority of the squad are based at home, including former Sevilla forward Alexander Kerzhakov, the only Russian player to have appeared at the 2002 World Cup in Korea and Japan, and former Chelsea winger Yury Zhirkov.

Capello has lined up warm-up friendlies against Slovakia on May 26, Norway on 31 May and Morocco on 6 June in a bid to expose his team to contrasting playing styles ahead of Brazil.

Russia, who qualified as winners of European qualifying Group F, are making their first appearance at a World Cup finals since 2002, and have been drawn in Group H along with Belgium, South Korea and Algeria.

Russia squad

Goalkeepers:
    Igor Akinfeev (CSKA Moscow), Yury Lodygin (Zenit St Petersburg), Sergei Ryzhikov (Rubin Kazan)

Defenders: Alexander Anyukov (Zenit St Petersburg), Alexei Berezutsky, Vasily Berezutsky, Sergei Ignashevich, Georgy Shchennikov (all CSKA Moscow), Vladimir Granat, Alexei Kozlov (both Dynamo Moscow), Andrei Yeshchenko (Anzhi Makhachkala), Dmitry Kombarov (Spartak Moscow), Andrei Semenov (Terek Grozny)

Midfielders: Igor Denisov, Yury Zhirkov (both Dynamo Moscow), Alan Dzagoev (CSKA Moscow), Yury Gazinsky, Roman Shirokov (both FC Krasnodar), Denis Glushakov (Spartak Moscow), Pavel Mogilevets (Rubin Kazan), Viktor Faizulin, Oleg Shatov (both Zenit St Petersburg)

Forwards: Vladimir Bystrov (Anzhi Makhachkala), Alexander Kerzhakov (Zenit St Petersburg), Artem Dzyuba (Rostov), Alexei Ionov, Alexander Kokorin (both Dynamo Moscow), Maxim Kanunnikov (Amkar Perm), Pavel Pogrebnyak (Reading/ENG), Alexander Samedov (Lokomotiv Moscow)

* Squad lists are only official once they have been confirmed and published by FIFA on 16 May at 12:00 CET.

Uploads

Capello: I know my squad

Russia coach Fabio Capello says he has already decided on his 23-man 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ squad but intends to wait until the 2 June deadline before divulging his list.

"I'm really pleased with all of my players' work in the training camp," he told local media after Monday's 1-0 World Cup warm-up win over Slovakia. "In the match with Slovakia we've seen the high level of intensity that we will likely face at the World Cup in Brazil. I'm happy that none of my players were injured."

He added: "I've already determined the 23-man squad for the World Cup but I want all of my 25 footballers to carry out preparations all together until the deadline." The 57-year-old former England coach added: "We showed well-organised play on Monday, it's a good starting point.

"But we can definitely play better, much better in attack. It's obvious that after a series of very intensive practices last week my players lacked freshness against the Slovaks. And I'm even more happy to give the two young players (Maxim Kanunnikov and Pavel Mogilevets) the chance to make their debut in the national team."

Russia have two more Brazil preps lined up against Norway on 31 May and Morocco on 6 June. One of the players expected to miss out on Capello's 23-man squad is Sevilla forward Denis Cheryshev, an injured absentee for last week's UEFA Europa League final. Russia, appearing at their first World Cup finals in 12 years, are drawn in Group H along with South Korea, Belgium and Algeria.

Uploads

Cheryshev cut from final Russia squad

Russia coach Fabio Capello on Monday named his final 23-man squad to play in the FIFA World Cup™ finals led by experienced defender Sergei Ignashevich, midfielder Roman Shirokov and forward Alexander Kerzhakov. The 31-year-old Kerzhakov is the only player in the squad who has previous World Cup experience having been in the squad that competed in 2002, the last time Russia reached the final stages.

Capello trimmed his original squad of 30 down to 25 in mid-May and the two players to miss out on being in the final selection were Denis Cheryshev from Spanish high-flyers Sevilla and Pavel Mogilevets of Rubin Kazan. The former England manager, who recently extended his contract with the Russian Football Union until the end of the 2018 World Cup, retained talented youngsters Andrei Semenov and Maxim Kanunnikov.

He named his final squad two days after a 1-1 draw with Norway in a friendly match. Last month Russia defeated Slovakia 1-0 in their first World Cup warm-up match. All of Capello's squad are from Russian Premier League sides including six from Dynamo Moscow, who finished fourth in the league this season.

Five players represent champions CSKA, who retained their title this season, and four are from runners-up Zenit St Petersburg. Russia will open their World Cup campaign against Korea Republic on 18 June.

Capello's side have been drawn in World Cup Group H, which also includes Belgium and Algeria as they make their first appearance at the finals in 12 years. The last time Russia played in the World Cup finals in 2002 they faced Belgium, Japan and Tunisia in their group, but failed to advance into the knock-out stages.

The best performance by a Russian team in the World Cup dates back to 1966 in England when the then Soviet Union came fourth.

Russia squad:

Goalkeepers: Igor Akinfeev (CSKA Moscow), Yury Lodygin (Zenit St Petersburg), Sergei Ryzhikov (Rubin Kazan)
    Defenders: Vasily Berezutsky, Sergei Ignashevich, Georgy Shchennikov (all CSKA Moscow), Vladimir Granat, Alexei Kozlov (both Dynamo Moscow), Andrei Yeshchenko (Anzhi Makhachkala), Dmitry Kombarov (Spartak Moscow), Andrei Semenov (Terek Grozny)
    Midfielders: Igor Denisov, Yury Zhirkov (both Dynamo Moscow), Alan Dzagoev (CSKA Moscow), Roman Shirokov (FC Krasnodar), Denis Glushakov (Spartak Moscow), Viktor Faizulin, Oleg Shatov (both Zenit St Petersburg)
    Forwards: Alexander Kerzhakov (Zenit St Petersburg), Alexei Ionov, Alexander Kokorin (both Dynamo Moscow), Maxim Kanunnikov (Amkar Perm), Alexander Samedov (Lokomotiv Moscow)

* Squad lists are only official once they have been confirmed and published by FIFA on 5 June at 12:00 CET.

Uploads

Russian World Cup hopes hit by Shirokov blow

Russia's hopes for a successful FIFA World Cup™ campaign suffered a serious blow with captain Roman Shirokov ruled out because he has failed to recover from a knee ligament injury. Russia coach Fabio Capello said the 32-year-old midfielder, scorer of 12 goals in 41 international appearances since making his debut in 2008, will have to undergo knee surgery in Finland next week.

"On Monday Shirokov will fly to Finland to undergo knee surgery there," Capello told a news conference after the 2-0 win over Morocco in their World Cup warm up match. "Shirokov is a very important member of Russia's squad but I hope that the rest of the players will be able to perform at their best level in Brazil anyway." Capello, who has guided Russia to their first World Cup finals since 2002, said Rubin Kazan midfielder Pavel Mogilevets will replace Shirokov in the squad.

"Mogilevets will replace Shirokov in our squad but we still have time before 15 June to make final changes in the squad's line-up," he said. Shirokov suffered the injury in April in the Russian Premier League match between FC Krasnodar, where he has been on loan from Zenit St. Petersburg, and Lokomotiv Moscow. He missed both of the tune-up matches with Slovakia and Norway but was able to train with the rest of the squad on Thursday before suffering a relapse.

Capello, who will be bidding to improve on his 2010 showing with England where he took them to the last 16, said his team would play one more warm-up match, against Sao Paulo state champions Ituano on 11 June. Russia will open their World Cup campaign against Korea Republic on 18 June.

Capello's side have been drawn in Group H alongisde Belgium and Algeria.

Uploads

Fayzulin: I like the way the South Koreans move

While Russian fans have been waiting 12 years to see their team return to a FIFA World Cup™, Victor Fayzulin has had to bide his time too, having finally found his way into the heart of his country's midfield in time to help them reach Brazil 2014. Having been completely overlooked by Guss Hiddink and Dick Advocaat, coach Fabio Capello saw fit to introduce the Zenit player into his first friendly in charge in July 2012 and the 28-year-old, from the very east of the country, has been there ever since. Talking to FIFA, Fayzulin argued that his versatility – which as a result saw him deployed away from his preferred central position – had detrimentally hit his selection chances.

“I used to play on the right, on the left, as an attacker, but was never put in a central midfield position,” the man from the coastal city of Nakhodka – situated 130 miles east of the Korea DPR border – explained. “Only in the last two years have I started to play in this position permanently, so that is why I guess they called me up to the national team.” And what an impact that has made. Since his international debut he has only missed one of the 20 fixtures leading up to the World Cup, featuring in all ten of the qualifiers and starting nine of them. He even got on the score-sheet three times with a central trio as the Sbornaya (The National Team) topped Group F in qualifying.

Fayzulin has not had it all easy in his career as a whole, having worked his way up from the Russian first division, where he played for three years with SKA Energie, before a season with Spartak Nalchik in the top flight persuaded Zenit to acquire his services. This steady progression means his expectations of where he could get to were always tempered until, slowly but surely, a trip to the top stage in international football became a tangible accomplishment in his mind. “[Appearing at a World Cup] was a lofty dream that seemed impossible to achieve,” he admitted. “But step by step I set that goal for myself: first I got into the First Division, and then the Premier League. Then I realised I could play in the Premier League, and then I started thinking about the national team. So it all happened gradually.”

Now he sits on the eve of that dream being fully realised, with Russia set to open their Group H campaign against Korea Republic. Though Fayzulin confesses that to him it “doesn't even feel like the World Cup yet”, it is surely a fact that will change for him when he hears the Russian national anthem ring out around the Arena Pantanal in Cuiaba. Relative neighbours to his port-driven home city – with Seoul clocking in at 3,500 miles closer than Moscow – Fayzulin admits to having a soft spot for the Taeguk Warriors, having faced them in a friendly back in November. “I remember that I liked Korea's national team,” he said, recalling last year's 2-1 win. “I liked the way they moved, I liked how sharp they were. They are disciplined. As a footballer, I find it hard to play against them. They are quick, small and sharp players.” While the streets of Nakhodka may be packed with Korean cars, and many a resident has stories of migrating to see their nation compete at Korea/Japan 2002, split loyalties will be hard to find as they watch their man proudly sing Gosudarstvenny Gimn Rossiyskoy Federatsii. After all, they've all had to wait.

Uploads

Capello names Russia captain

Fabio Capello has confirmed that CSKA Moscow defender Vasily Berezutskiy will lead Russia out against the Korea Republic at the FIFA World Cup™ on Tuesday. Berezutskiy will step in as captain in place of regular skipper Roman Shirokov, who stayed at home in Moscow after undergoing knee surgery. Giving his reasons for the appointment, Capello told the pre-match press conference in Cuiaba: "Igor (Denisov, Dynamo Moscow midfielder) is the leader on the pitch, but he (Berezutskiy) speaks English, and communication with the referee is important."

The CSKA player commented: "It's a big honour to be appointed captain - it's a big responsibility, I want to be a good example on and off the pitch." Shirokov's absence was a blow, but not a decisive one, Berezutskiy said. "Of course Shirokov was a big loss for us, however the Russia team are strong as a team, we shouldn't be fixated on the fact that his absence here will influence our game too much." Russia are back at the FIFA World Cup for the first time in 12 years, sealing their passage to Brazil with an impressive qualifying run. They have only met the South Koreans once, defeating the 2002 semi-finalists 2-1 in a friendly in Dubai last November.

Capello stressed the importance of Russia's return to football's high table, given they are hosting the tournament in four years time: "The important thing is that we're here in Brazil after 12 years away. The next step will be playing at home in 2018. We need this experience now to understand the world level of football. "The level is top, it's great experience in terms of our preparations for 2018, and the 2016 [UEFA European Championship]. The pressure on Russia at the next World Cup will be even greater," added the former Real Madrid, AC Milan and Roma boss, who has signed a contract to still be in charge of the Russian team in four years time.

Capello, who turns 68 on Wednesday, said he was confident in his team's ability to make their mark in a first round Group H, which also houses Belgium and Algeria. "I'm happy at what we've done so far, but this is just the beginning. I'm sure we will play an excellent World Cup, I've got excellent, organised players. The most important things are intelligence, and the respect of your rivals and to play with personality." Asked by a Russian journalist if he was concerned that his players struggled to name any of the Korea Republic team, Capello shrugged: "No, not at all. It's not important to know players' names, what is important is to know their characteristics."

One peculiarity of this Russian side is that it is wholly comprised of players earning their bread and butter in their domestic league, although some did try their luck abroad before returning home. That has prompted suggestions that Capello is the squad's greatest asset. "It's true, the biggest star is the coach," Berezutskiy told the press conference at Cuiaba's Arena Pantanal. "He's a very respected coach, he's won in Spain, in Italy, he's won the (UEFA) Champions League, we don't have any players in the squad with such a respected reputation."

Uploads

Capello: Reaction was most important

Russia coach Fabio Capello has praised his team for reacting quickly to the setback they suffered in their 1-1 FIFA World Cup™ draw with Korea Republic. The Russians had looked shaky at the back for some time during a Group H clash with South Korea and, in the 68th minute, goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev flapped wildly at a speculative effort from Lee Keunho to concede the opener.

But Capello threw Alexandr Kerzhakov into the mix from the bench and was soon rewarded for making the switch as the Zenit St Petersburg striker forced a 1-1 draw in Cuiaba. His equaliser arrived from a goalmouth scramble - only six minutes after Akinfeev's gaffe - and Italian tactician Capello was pleased his players had managed to stay focused on securing a positive result.

He told the BBC: "It was a good game, they ran a lot in the first half and then felt tired. You saw the goal they scored, it was not easy to react. "But the players were really good and most important for me was the reaction. We also twice had a chance to score a second goal. I know Kerzhakov did well, he's a fantastic player. He always offers us a way to score goals."

Uploads

Berezutskiy: We were all nervous

After Russia could only muster an unconvincing 1-1 draw with Korea Republic, captain Vasily Berezutskiy admitted that the 12-year wait for a FIFA World Cup™ appearance had took its toll on his side in their Group H opener. With both teams struggling to create clear-cut chances, goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev personified the nerves that the skipper told FIFA.com had hit the side by gifting their opponents an opener, only for Alexander Kerzhakov – the only remnant from their Korea/Japan 2002 campaign – to come off the bench and snatch a point.

“As you can imagine we were all nervous, both with this being the first World Cup for most of us and Russia's first in a long time,” the towering centre-back said after the game. “However, experience was decisive as Alexander Kerzhakov is the only one who was here 12 years ago and he made the difference. Our team is not the youngest, so we have played in some big matches, but it was important to get this first game out of the way as you cannot compare the World Cup with any other tournament.”

Fabio Capello's side were left to ponder the result, which leaves them two points behind Belgium – who began their tournament with a 2-1 win over Algeria – with their fellow Europeans next in line. “I really feel we should have come out of this game with a win,” Berezutskiy said of their game with Korea Republic at the Arena Pantanal in Cuiaba.

“We found the conditions tough, the heat and the humidity were a challenge to cope with. Korea also performed really well and really tested us, but ultimately we could only come away with a point. I hope the second game will better, though it will be very tough.”

Sunday's clash with Belgium now takes on an even greater importance after the dropped points, with a win required to wrestle control of the group into their hands ahead of the final match against Algeria on 27 June. Berezutskiy declared that pragmatism was the thing to concentrate on in those meetings should it deliver their goal of escaping the first round.

“The coach will let us know where we need to improve for that game,” he said, having taken charge of his first competitive game with the armband, after the pre-tournament injury to Roman Shirokov. “Our goal is still to get out into the knock-out stages. For us it is much more important that we make it into the last 16 than how we play against Belgium or Algeria.”

Uploads

Capello backs Russian keeper Akinfeev

Fabio Capello threw his support behind goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev after the self-confessed "kids" error very nearly spiked his 68th birthday celebrations and Russia's return to the FIFA World Cup™ after a 12-year absence. Capello watched on as Akinfeev let Lee Keun-Ho's 30 metre shot slip into the net to give South Korea the lead in the Group H clash in Cuiaba. Akinfeev's blushes were spared when Alexander Kerzhakov levelled three minutes after coming on to earn a 1-1 draw against the 2002 semi-finalists.

"Just like some players can miss penalties it can happen that a keeper makes a mistake as well," said Capello. "You can accept a mistake from a great keeper like Akinfeev. Today it turned out fine as we were able to make up the difference. I'm very happy with Akinfeev." The keeper himself cut a contrite figure after the final whistle at the Arena Pantanal. "It was a kid's mistake and I bare full responsibility," he admitted. "I can't say that it was because of worry."

Akinfeev added: "Maybe I wasn't sure in myself, I don't know. The guys supported me. I say thanks. The goalkeeper of the national team shouldn't make mistakes like this one." After a cautious start, Korea's goal awoke Capello's side and the Italian expressed his delight at the reaction of his players.

"My players showed a wonderful reaction after we conceded the goal," said the man in charge of England at the last World Cup. "We were so nervous at the start, the players weren't as smooth as normal but it was visible after the Korean goal that we sprung right back and played like we know how to." He added: "It was the greatest birthday gift I could receive, this means the team is willing, capable and can do it."

Uploads

Fayzulin: Capello told us we'd played well

After the agony of losing to a solitary late Belgium goal, Russia's chances of progressing at the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ are now in serious doubt. Clenched teeth, bowed heads and silence prevailed among Fabio Capello’s charges, for whom the short walk from pitchside to the dressing room must have appeared to go on forever. Such disappointment is clearly understandable, given Russia’s pre-tournament aim of at least reaching the Round of 16, yet there is also a much bigger picture for the eastern Europeans here in Brazil – that of laying the foundations for a team that will do them proud as host nation in four years’ time. Among the 23 chosen for this Brazilian adventure are a select band of players who look odds-on to provide a vital link between those with World Cup experience and the new blood sure to be introduced with a view to Russia 2018. Included in the former group are Aleksei Kozlov and Victor Fayzulin, both of whom put in solid displays versus the Belgians, though neither was prepared to cast their eyes as far ahead as the next global showpiece.

“It’s very difficult to draw any positives when you lose like that,” Kozlov told FIFA. “We’re all disappointed about what happened late on, but we’ve still got a chance of continuing in the tournament. While that’s the case, we can’t start thinking about anything else,” went on the powerfully built 27-year-old right-back, who patrolled his area of the pitch – which included Diables Rouges’ livewire Eden Hazard – with aplomb for the 62 minutes he spent on the field. “No, I can’t go looking towards the future today,” said Fayzulin. “It’s true we’ve got a young and talented team, but we must only focus on the Algeria game. What can I tell the youngest lads on a day like today? Nothing, each one of us knows what he has to do in the here and now,” added the tireless central midfielder, widely considered as the man that makes Capello’s XI tick.

“We knew that Belgium were favourites, but that wasn’t obvious during the game. We managed to put them under pressure and had several good spells, but we simply couldn’t score. That’s football, if you don’t score you’re in trouble,” explained the Zenit man, winner of 21 Russia caps, who himself was denied a long-range goal by a save from Thibaut Courtois. Dinamo Moscow defender Kozlov, making his 12th senior international appearance, was on the same page: “We had a couple of clear chances but we missed them. We now need to go back to our training camp and work on how to improve on that. We’ll be up for the challenge against Algeria.” As the interview drew to a close, Fayzulin revealed how “Capello told us we’d played very well and that that’s football: we gave them a chance and they took it." What's more, though they perhaps cannot see it now, this reverse may end up proving a useful lesson for the Sbornaya with one eye on Russia 2018.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast