Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colombia

Uploads

Colombia

Radamel Falcao has been named in Colombia's 30-man provisional squad for the FIFA World Cup™.

The Monaco striker had looked set to miss the tournament after being sent for knee surgery in the wake of a serious injury suffered against Chasselay Monts d'Or Azergues in January. The former Atletico Madrid man injured his anterior cruicate ligament - the diagnosis for which usually involves between six and nine months out.

Coach Jose Pekerman delivered good news, though, naming the 28-year-old in his initial party despite not having kicked a ball competitively since his injury. Falcao had scored nine goals in 17 appearances for Monaco before his injury - making a steady start to life in France after his £50m move.

He scored nine goals for Colombia in their qualifying campaign and is the stand-out name in the group.

Colombia squad

Goalkeepers:
    David Ospina (Nice), Faryd Mondragon (Deportivo Cali), Camilo Vargas (Santa Fe)

Defenders:
    Mario Yepes (Atalanta), Aquivaldo Mosquera (Club America), Cristian Zapata (AC Milan), Carlos Valdes (San Lorenzo), Amaranto Perea (Cruz Azul), Eder Alvarez Balanta (River Plate), Santiago Arias (PSV Eindhoven), Camilo Zuniga (Napoli), Pablo Armero (Napoli)

Midfielders:
    Carlos Sanchez (Elche), Fredy Guarin (Inter Milan), Abel Aguilar (Toulouse), Aldo Leao Ramirez (Morelia), Juan Fernando Quintero (Porto), Victor Ibarbo (Cagliari), James Rodriguez (Monaco), Macnelly Torres (Al Shabab), Juan Guilermo Cuadrado (Fiorentina), Edwin Valencia (Fluminense), Alexander Mejia (Nacional), Elkin Soto (Mainz)

Forwards:
    Radamel Falcao (Monaco), Carlos Bacca (Sevilla), Adrian Ramos (Hertha Berlin), Luis Fernando Muriel (Udinese), Teofilo Gutierrez (River Plate), Jackson Martinez (Porto)

* Squad lists are only official once they have been confirmed and published by FIFA on 16 May at 12:00 CET.

Uploads

Falcao returns to training with Monaco

Colombia striker Radamel Falcao returned to training with his Monaco teammates on Friday for the first time since injuring his knee in January, the Ligue 1 club announced. Falcao, 28, suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during a last-32 French Cup match against amateur side Chasselay, ruling him out for the rest of the season and putting his participation at the FIFA World Cup™ in serious doubt.

However, he has been included in Jose Pekerman's provisional 30-man squad for the finals in Brazil in the hope that he can recover in time. Ahead of Monaco's final league match, at home to Bordeaux on Saturday, Falcao was back in the Principality to continue to work his way back to fitness.

Falcao "didn't miss out on the opportunity to join his teammates for the final training session of the season," read a statement on the club's official website.

"He was keen to catch up with his teammates and take part in the session," added the club without going into further detail.

In Friday's edition of the Spanish sports daily Marca, Falcao revealed it would be "impossible" for him to be fully fit for the World Cup but didn't rule out the possibility of going to the tournament. The forward said a decision "will be taken very soon" as to whether he'll be a part of the Colombia squad, which must be finalised by 2 June.

"To go (to Brazil) 100 per cent ready in a footballing sense will be impossible because I'm short of playing time. To sum things up, if I feel good, I will go. If I see that I'm not sure of myself and that I have nothing to bring to the team, I'll be reasonable and stay behind."

Colombia have been drawn in Group C at the World Cup along with Greece, Côte d'Ivoire and Japan. Los Cafeteros will face Greece in their opening game in Belo Horizonte on 14 June.

Uploads

Falcao trains with Colombia

Star Colombia striker Radamel Falcao boosted hopes that he will be fit for the FIFA World Cup™ as he trained with the national squad in Argentina on Monday. The 28-year-old Monaco player, who has scored 20 goals in 51 international appearances, suffered serious knee ligament damage in a Coupe de France tie on 22 January and has not played since.

Despite his four-month absence, he was named in Colombia's provisional 30-man squad for the Brazil 2014 with 2 June set as the deadline day for the final list of 23 players to be decided. The former River Plate, Porto and Atletico Madrid player is as famous in his country as singer Shakira with 46 million Colombians counting on his recovery.

Colombia coach Jose Pekerman has brought all his players together in a luxurious hotel complex at Campana, 80km north of Buenos Aires. Colombia play a friendly on Saturday against Senegal, followed by another on 6 June against Jordan, both in Buenos Aires. Colombia are in Group C in the World Cup along with the talented Côte d'Ivoire, Greece and Japan.

Uploads

Aguilar, Colombia's cool-headed warrior

French football fans have enjoyed a front-row seat to observe some of Colombia's finest talents of late. Prolific forward Falcao has naturally grabbed much of the attention, but Monaco team-mate James Rodriguez has also impressed since both moved to France's Ligue 1 last summer, his exquisite passes catching the eye along with the exploits of David Ospina, Nice goalkeeper since 2008. The 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ outsiders clearly have genuine quality at their disposal, and their list of France-based stalwarts does not end there either, with Abel Aguilar encapsulating all Los Cafeteros' combativeness and commitment.

The midfielder touched down at Toulouse last year without the fanfare that accompanied his compatriots' moves, but he quickly began forging a reputation. Taking on Paris Saint-Germain in just his second outing, Aguilar promptly announced his arrival by making sure that the hosts' star man Zlatan Ibrahimovic knew he had been involved in a tussle. "I only care about the game, not the name, career or the medals of my opponent," Aguilar explained to FIFA.com, having also had two heated run-ins with Lionel Messi – with Colombia in 2011 and while at Deportivo La Coruna last term. "I always play with the same desire, whether I'm up against Messi, Ibrahimovic or someone else. I have to show that I'm here and that I'll give everything to win every ball and help my team."

It would be easy to read that pugnaciousness as the key to Aguilar's personality, but that would be unfair on the 29-year-old. For all his aggression and dedication on the pitch, the Cali native is a very likeable character off it. "That's my style of play and if I've had clashes with those players, it's because it was the thing to do during the game," he said. "Those are situations that happen during a match, but they stay on the pitch and afterwards I don't feel any bitterness. It's already forgotten."

Serving the team
    It should be stressed as well that Aguilar's fierce hunger for victory is far from being his only quality as a player. Contributing to Colombia's eye-catching fluidity from his position in front of defence, his technique and vision often sparked attacks as Los Cafeteros stood out as one of the most spectacular sides in South American qualifying for Brazil 2014. All the same, he is comfortable knowing that much of his toil goes unnoticed. "Team work is important, and it's gratifying to know that my efforts serve the team," he said. "I know that players in my position get less exposure, but you have to accept that. It's a position that comes with responsibility, and it's important to the balance of the team. If I do my job well, I help my side. If I don't, that puts my team-mates in trouble. In this position, you can't think in individual terms."

True enough, but it would hardly be selfish if Aguilar did begin to think more about himself, having spent the large part of his career striving to overcome challenges. Indeed, since winning the Colombian title with his home-town club Deportivo Cali in 2005, and clinching the South American U-20 Championship the same year, he has mostly been a stranger to success. "Winning trophies is something I miss," he said, his time in Europe having included five loan spells after he began an unfulfilling stint at Udinese in 2005. "I hope I'll have the chance to compete for trophies soon, because I've mostly been fighting to stave off relegation over the last few years."

He has known more lows than highs representing Colombia as well, with frustrating World Cup campaigns in 2006 and 2010 following on the back of a testing introduction to the international game. First called up at the age of 19 in 2004, Aguilar had to endure a number of critics who felt he was not yet ready to slip on the famous yellow shirt. "That's normal," he explained, having held firm to rack up 41 caps so far. "When you start out for the national team, it's always a tricky situation because people are watching you more closely. But the hunger and commitment that I bring to each game and every training session changed their opinions. After all that effort, I've earned my place in the team now, and my position in the squad is more secure."

Hard work and humility
    Los Cafeteros will certainly need all their senior figures if they have to make do without Falcao in Brazil, their talismanic marksman still a doubt as he recovers from injury. Should El Tigre fail to win his fitness race in time, however, Aguilar will not be unduly concerned. "Falcao is an icon, an excellent player and very important for the team, but our work and our progress owe everything to our collective efforts, which have served us well so far," he said. We all hope he'll be there, but it would be a mistake to think that we'll be weaker without him. We need to convince ourselves, and our opponents, that everything we're capable of we do as a team."

Colombia's initial opponents will be Côte d'Ivoire, Greece and Japan in Group C, where the South American contenders will kick off as top seeds and favourites. Not that they will be taking anything for granted, especially given the example of their predecessors in 1994, a superbly gifted generation featuring Carlos Valderrama, Adolfo Valencia and Faustino Asprilla – who fell at the first hurdle to the dismay of Aguilar and an entire nation.

Having put the work in, Aguilar and Colombia are now awaiting their just reward.

Uploads

Valencia to miss World Cup

Fluminense midfielder Edwin Valencia has been trimmed from Colombia's preliminary FIFA World Cup™ squad after failing to recover from injury. Coach Jose Pekerman confirmed on Wednesday the 29-year-old will not be fit in time for this summer's showpiece event in Brazill, having struggled with since since the start of the season.

The Argentina-born boss told reporters at the squad's training camp in Buenos Aires: "Edwin Valencia will not go to the World Cup. The injuries and problems Valencia has carried do not allow him to reach the form the national team needs in the World Cup. We are forced to leave him out, considering that he will not make it in the best physical condition."

Pekerman added: "This is not good news at all. Physical fitness is a very important factor and we have to know which players are fully fit to play the entire World Cup."

Valencia is the fourth player to be cut from the provisional group after America defender Aquivaldo Mosquera, Mainz midfielder Elkin Soto and Al Shabab midfielder Macnelly Torres missed out last week.

Despite having omitted Valencia due to fitness worries, Pekerman vowed to give Monaco striker Radamel Falcao until the last moment to prove he was back to full health having torn cruciate ligaments in his left knee in January.

"We'll wait for Falcao until the last day, the last minute," the Colombia coach said. "We have a lot of people to make the final decision. We'll find the most logical reasons with the player and doctors."

Uploads

Falcao blow for Colombia

Colombia's star striker Radamel Falcao has lost his battle to be fit for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™.

National coach Jose Pekerman named his tournament squad on Monday evening during a press conference held in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Falcao, who suffered a serious knee injury when on duty for his club side Monaco in January, was left off the 23-man list, with Pekerman deciding he would not be ready.

The former Atletico Madrid frontman, who was a big-money signing by Monaco last summer, looked to have no hope of making his country's squad for the tournament in Brazil when he sustained the injury, however his recovery then progressed swiftly.

Pekerman said last week he would "wait for Falcao until the last day, the last minute" before deciding on his fitness, after consulting with medical experts, and the final decision went against the 28-year-old.

"Muriel, Perea and Falcao are not going to be at the World Cup, Jose Pekerman has announced," said a message on the national team's official Twitter account.

Colombia face Greece, Côte d'Ivoire and Japan at Brazil 2014.
    Falcao said following the announcement, according to Colombian newspaper El Pais: "I was very excited but now I'll have to support the team from afar and I wish them well, hoping they play a good World Cup."

After taking the tough decision, Pekerman called it "the saddest day I've had since becoming Colombia coach".

Colombia World Cup squad:

Goalkeepers:
    David Ospina (Nice/France), Faryd Mondragon (Deportivo Cali), Camilo Vargas (Santa Fe)
    Defenders: Camilo Zuniga (Napoli/Italy), Pablo Armero (Napoli/Italy), Cristian Zapata (AC Milan/Italy), Mario Yepes (Atalanta/Italy), Carlos Valdes (Philadelphia Union/USA - on loan to San Lorenzo/Argentina), Santiago Arias (PSV Eindhoven/Netherlands), Eder Alvarez-Balanta (River Plate/Argentina)
    Midfielders: James Rodriguez (Monaco/France), Abel Aguilar (Toulouse/France), Carlos Sanchez (Elche/Spain), Fredy Guarin (Inter Milan/Italy), Juan Fernando Quintero (Porto/Portugal), Aldo Ramirez (Morelia/Mexico), Alexander Mejia (Atletico Nacional), Victor Ibarbo (Cagliari/Italy), Juan Guillermo Cuadrado (Fiorentina/Italy)
    Forwards: Jackson Martinez (Porto/Portugal), Teofilo Gutierrez (River Plate/Argentina), Carlos Bacca (Sevilla/Spain), Adrian Ramos (Borussia Dortmund/Germany)

* Squad lists are only official once they have been confirmed and published by FIFA on 5 June at 12:00 CET.

Uploads

Pekerman drafts Carbonero into squad

Colombia coach Jose Pekerman has handed a surprise call-up to midfielder Carlos Carbonero ahead of their 2014 FIFA World Cup™ campaign.
    The 23-year-old, who plays for River Plate in Argentina, has been drafted into the squad as a replacement for Aldo Leao Ramirez, who will miss the tournament in Brazil after suffering an injury in Friday's friendly win against Jordan.

Carbonero's inclusion is unexpected as he has not featured for Colombia since Pekerman took charge in January 2012. The midfielder is the third River Plate player in Colombia's squad, joining club team-mates Eder Alvarez-Balanta and striker Teofilo Gutierrez.

The South Americans face Greece, Côte d’Ivoire and Japan in Group C at Brazil 2014.

Uploads

Gutierrez: That win was for Falcao

When Teofilo Gutierrez came off with 14 minutes remaining of Colombia’s 3-0 win over Greece this afternoon, he received the warmest of ovations. That came as no surprise, given the size of his contribution to the Cafetero cause and the large number of yellow-shirted supporters populating the Estadio Mineirao, which could easily have been mistaken for the Estadio Metropolitano in his home town of Barranquilla. Only a few moments before he was replaced, Gutierrez had put his side 2-0 up, a vital goal in helping the Colombians get off to an auspicious start in Group C of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™. Handed the No9 shirt that Radamel Falcao would have worn had he not been injured, Gutierrez proved a more than able deputy.

“The coaches and my team-mates gave me the confidence to wear the jersey,” the forward, who wore the number 19 during the qualifiers, told FIFA.com shortly after his side’s 3-0 victory. “It was important for me to repay that faith with a goal, a goal that’s also reinforced my self-belief. We all need to work for the good of the team here, because the team is each and every one of us.” With Falcao in the stands, having made the journey from Colombia with Luis Perea to cheer his colleagues on, Gutierrez could have been excused for feeling a little more pressure than usual. If he was, the goalscorer showed no sign of it, helping to create play and working tirelessly for the team, revealing attributes that are the hallmark of Jose Pekerman’s side.

“Radamel always keeps an eye on us. He’s a great striker and a lovely person and I’d like to dedicate part of this win to him,” said the 29-year-old front man, still sporting a plaster protecting a cut over his left eye, an inconvenience that did nothing to dampen his afternoon.

Deserved winners
    Colombia were well worth the three points, attacking at pace and defending solidly, as their new No9 explained: “We came here with a plan and we were only too happy to put it into place. That’s the kind of game we play. We enjoy ourselves and we feel very comfortable with our style of football.” Another reason why Los Cafeteros felt comfortable in Belo Horizonte was the sizeable contingent of Colombia fans who had come to support them, turning the Mineirao a bright shade of yellow.

“I wasn’t surprised by them,” commented the smiling River Plate man. “The Colombia fans have been waiting for this moment, and with it being so close I expected them to turn up in numbers. It was very exciting.” Gutierrez, who has now scored 13 goals in 31 international appearances, signed off with a promise: “It was a dream world finals debut because it’s not every day that you score a goal, especially in the World Cup. The best is still to come, though.”

Uploads

Colombia Bacca ruled out of group stage

Colombia striker Carlos Bacca has a leg injury and will be out for the rest of the FIFA World Cup™ group stage. The Sevilla player sustained a leg muscle strain in training and will be sidelined for Thursday's game with Côte d'Ivoire and the match against Japan on 24 June. A statement from Colombia's Football Federation read: "Following the tests done by Colombia's medical team, led by Doctor Carlos Ulloa, it has been determined that player Carlos Bacca has suffered a first degree muscle strain and will require a period of treatment from seven to 10 days."

Bacca was on the bench for Colombia's 3-0 triumph over Greece in their Group C opener on Saturday, but the 27-year-old's absence is a blow for Los Cafeteros coach Jose Pekerman considering his solid season with Sevilla. The forward scored 14 league goals in 35 Primera Liga appearances and was voted by Spanish sports newspaper Marca as the best signing of the 2013/14 La Liga season.

Uploads

Pekerman: Cuadrado good enough for Barca

Colombia winger Juan Cuadrado is good enough to play for Barcelona, his national team coach Jose Pekerman said on Wednesday. Fresh from a stunning season with Fiorentina, in which he scored 11 goals, Cuadrado has reportedly been attracting the attention of some of Europe's big guns such as Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain and notably Barcelona.

If he should leave Fiorentina, Argentine Pekerman is sure the 26-year-old would be a success wherever he goes. "He's a player with great physical conditioning who achieved great things with his club, just as he has done with his country, and he is ready to go to a great club, regardless of how well he does at the [FIFA] World Cup," said Pekerman. "It's satisfying to have him with Colombia and for sure he will go on to grace the most important pitches in football, and more if he goes to a great club like Barca."

The dreadlocked dribbler started his career at Independiente Medellin before heading to Italy and Udinese in 2009 at 21 years-old. He struggled for first team football there but really came of age in a one year loan spell at Lecce in 2011/12, earning a move to La Viola at the end of that season. Colombia are preparing in Brasilia for their Group C match against Côte d'Ivoire in the Mane Garrincha stadium on Thursday. Having won their opening match 3-0 against Greece, Colombia could all but secure their place in the knock-out rounds with a victory over the Elephants.

Ivory Coast also began with a win, 2-1 over Japan, and Pekerman considers them potential FIFA World Cup™ winners. "We're going to play very experienced opponents, a true World Cup rival who have come to win, who will create difficulties for us and for that reason it will be a tough match. They're going to make life very uncomfortable for us," said Pekerman. "They know we'll be keeping an eye on certain of their players and beating them will depend on our players' inspiration and the collective strength of a team showing it is ready to fight for qualification to the last 16."

Asked to identify the Africans' primary weapons, Pekerman didn't seem to know where to stop. "Everyone knows the abilities of (Didier) Drogba, Gervinho, Yaya Toure. They have an excellent full-back in Serge Aurier, who scored both goals against Japan, and the experience of Didier Zokora, who has gone from a central midfieder to bringing calm to the team's defence."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast