Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Netherlands

Uploads

The Netherlands

Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal unveiled his provisional 30-man FIFA World Cupô squad, with Paris Saint-Germain right-back Gregory Van der Wiel a notable absentee.

Van Gaal has decided against taking a risk with a player who has been suffering with tendinitis in recent weeks. The absence of the 26-year-old means only eight members of the 30-man squad featured at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, when the Netherlands lost to Spain in the final.

Goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg and defenders John Heitinga and Joris Mathijsen are also missing but Wesley Sneijder is there, despite Van Gaal recently expressing doubts as to the condition of the Galatasaray playmaker.

Seven of the 30-man list come from Dutch championship runners-up Feyenoord.

The Netherlands will come up against reigning world champions Spain, Chile and Australia in Group B in Brazil and will face Spain in their opening game in Salvador on 13 June.

Netherlands squad

Goalkeepers:
    Jasper Cillessen (Ajax), Tim Krul (Newcastle United/ENG), Michel Vorm (Swansea City/ENG), Jeroen Zoet (PSV Eindhoven)

Defenders: Patrick van Aanholt (Vitesse Arnhem), Daley Blind (Ajax), Daryl Janmaat, Terence Kongolo, Bruno Martins Indi (all Feyenoord), Karim Rekik (PSV Eindhoven), JoŽl Veltman (Ajax), Paul Verhaegh (Augsburg/GER), Ron Vlaar (Aston Villa/ENG), Stefan De Vrij (Feyenoord)

Midfielders: Jordy Clasie (Feyenoord), Leroy Fer (Norwich City/ENG), Jonathan De Guzman (Swansea City/ENG), Nigel de Jong (AC Milan/ITA), Wesley Sneijder (Galatasaray/TUR), Tonny Vilhena (Feyenoord), Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburg/GER), Georginio Wijnaldum (PSV Eindhoven)

Forwards: Jean-Paul BoŽtius (Feyenoord), Memphis Depay (PSV Eindhoven), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04/GER), Dirk Kuijt (Fenerbahce/TUR), Jeremain Lens (Dynamo Kiev/UKR), Robin van Persie (Manchester United/ENG), Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich/GER), Quincy Promes (FC Twente)

* Squad lists are only official once they have been confirmed and published by FIFA on 16 May at 12:00 CET.

Uploads

Huntelaar: I believe in my team

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has had a tough time of late, with a range of injuries keeping him on the sidelines for prolonged periods. However, the 30-year-old Dutchman has returned to fitness to see out the season with his club and link up with his country ahead of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazilô. The forwardís performances have steadily improved since his return from the treatment table, with his goals helping Schalke to an automatic qualification spot for the UEFA Champions League.

With the domestic season now over, the Hunter is fully focused on helping the Netherlands to World Cup success in Brazil. And his confident and optimistic attitude towards this summerís tournament certainly shone through in an interview with FIFA.com.

FIFA.com: Youíll be battling fellow forward Robin van Persie for a starting berth in the Dutch national team this summer. How do you see your chances in this duel and do you think youíll get much playing time at the World Cup?
    I just hope that I can play as much as possible. Van Persie obviously operates as a forward too, but I donít think it necessarily has to be a direct duel between the two of us. It's equally feasible for our team to line up in a formation that accommodates two forwards, for example.

The Netherlands were involved in the 2010 Final. What can we expect from the Elftal in 2014?
    The defeat in the 2010 Final was a disappointment for us all. Weíd obviously hoped to become world champions. But our focus now needs to be directed towards this summerís tournament. Anything is possible in football and every match is different! So we need to be 100 per cent focused on the 2014 World Cup and not look back at what happened in South Africa.

The Netherlands will face Spain, Chile and Australia in the group stages. How satisfied were you with the draw?
    Theyíll certainly be exciting games. Spain have a very strong team and Chile are often regarded as dark horses. They showed that they are a very strong team and that they can play at a very high level when they faced Spain at the 2010 World Cup. We should also be careful not to underestimate Australia. In any case, Iím excited to see who'll make it through the group stages. Of course, I believe in my team and Iím convinced that we can make it to the latter stages in Brazil. Having said that, we've got some very strong opponents in our group and so we need to give 100 per cent in each game.

What are your teamís strengths?
    We have a lot of experienced players who are currently plying their trade at some of Europeís top clubs and playing top-quality football. But itís also a real bonus for our team that we now have some young players involved in the squad too. I think that this mix of experience on the one hand and youth on the other has the potential to take our team to the next level.

Who are your favourites for the title?
    Brazil and Argentina. Both countries have strong teams full of outstanding players. They wonít need to adapt to the South American climate either. Other teams, such as those from Europe for example, will first have to get used to the conditions and this could have a slight impact on their performances.

What are you expecting to happen at the World Cup in Brazil?
    First and foremost, of course, for me to give my absolute best and play as often as I possibly can. I hope that my team can show just how well we can play football and that we have the desire to win each individual match. Of course, the ideal scenario would be to return home as winners, but itís important we donít look too far ahead. We need to just focus our attention on the group stages and take things one step at a time.

Uploads

Van Der Sar: Brazil defeat my World Cup highlight

Widely regarded as one of the greatest goalkeepers of recent times, Edwin van Der Sar has left an indelible mark on the game Ė particularly with some stellar displays at club level.

The Dutchman's list of honours is enviable, comprising as it does a FIFA Club World Cup, Intercontinental Cup, two UEFA Champions League titles - with Ajax and Manchester United - and eight league titles. He defended the goals of Juventus and Fulham between the former pair, while claiming a record 130 caps for his country.

FIFA.com spoke to him on finals, penalties, breaking records and his hopes for the Netherlands at Brazil 2014.

FIFA.com: Edwin, what is your most memorable moment from your club career?
    Edwin van Der Sar:
    Normally you would say it was with the club who gave you your start in your football career. I had a great time at Ajax, we were with a lot of young players, and I think in the mid-90's we really challenged the European elites and we won the Champions League in 1995. But I think my moment of glory that sticks with me was in 2008 with Manchester United. Winning the Champions League in Moscow after penalties, saving the last penalty and knowing that the game's over, and knowing that all the focus is on you for those three or four seconds and it was just an amazing experience.

You hold a number of records, including most caps for the Netherlands and Manchester United's oldest player since World War Two. Do you miss breaking records now you've retired?
    Of course you miss football, you miss playing, you miss the fun in the dressing room. I'm a marketing director now at Ajax, so I'm still working in football but in completely different surroundings. I can tell you that's much harder work, but it's certainly fulfilling also, because we are trying to establish something at Ajax with our famous academy. We always thrive on our young players coming into the first team and we really try to challenge European clubs who maybe have a bigger financial backing than us. It's a great opportunity for me to learn a lot about myself and invest in different things from my playing career.

You won the Champions League in 2008 on penalties, but a decade earlier you lost in a shootout to Brazil at France 1998. Does that still sting?
    Winning is the key in football, and with the national team I have reached some semi-finals and most of them I have lost on penalties. We never could take the last hurdle to get to the final in my era, though four years ago in South Africa the Dutch team was in the final, but unfortunately we lost again. That's three finals in a row that we have lost, which is not a good omen. Of course it's disappointing, but that game against Brazil was the highlight of my World Cup career. The atmosphere before the game, where one side was orange, other side was yellow and blue from Brazil, the sky was light blue and then turned to night where the lights came on. It was such a hectic and tense match, where it went to overtime and then to penalties. It's nerve-wracking but it's also quite rewarding that you were able to achieve something like that and to participate in a World Cup.

How are you feeling ahead of Brazil 2014, do you think the current Dutch side have what it takes to impress there?
    We are in a little bit more of a difficult time now, we don't have the ten or eleven world class players in our team Ė we have maybe three or four and they are getting older. So it's about time that the young Dutch generation pick up the laurels from the older ones and hopefully can achieve, first with their clubs and then the national team, a little more success than over the last three or four years. No, three years, as four years ago we were in the final!

One position you will no doubt be particularly interested in is the goalkeeper. Who would you have as your number one?
    I think Jasper Cillessen. He plays for Ajax and came into the team this year and has played three or four times for the national team. He's looked good as a young goalkeeper, he's very good with his feet, that's something that Ajax and the Dutch team need as we always try to involve the goalkeeper in keeping possession. He has the ability, I think, to retain the position for the World Cup finals. He plays for my club, so of course I hope that, but any other one will do also as long as he keeps clean sheets throughout the tournament, that would be great.

Uploads

Injury rules out Van der Vaart

Rafael van der Vaart has been ruled out of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazilô with a calf injury.

The 31-year-old has suffered a dismal season, blighted by a series of problems, and has now seen it capped with the worst news of all.

A statement on the KNVB's website on Wednesday morning confirmed the 109-times capped midfielder would not be in the final 23-man squad, which is due to be named on Saturday.

"Rafael van der Vaart will miss the World Cup in the Brazil," the statement said. "The Holland international has a calf strain in his right leg. Coach Louis van Gaal has therefore decided not to include him in the final selection."

Van der Vaart was the most experienced player in the Dutch preliminary squad, but had already suffered an illness prior to his injury as he struggled to press his claim for inclusion.

Uploads

Van Gaal selects final 23

Patrick van Aanholt, the Chelsea left-back who has spent the last two years on loan at Vitesse Arnhem, has been dropped from the final Netherlands squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazilô.

Karim Rekik, Tonny Vilhena, Quincy Promes, Jean-Paul Boetius and goalkeeper Jeroen Zoet were also cut from the party which will travel to Brazil as coach Louis van Gaal trimmed his preliminary squad to 23.

Rafael van der Vaart has already been ruled out of the tournament through injury. Van Gaal has included ten players from the Eredivisie, including five from Feyenoord, and six based in England.

Netherlands squad

Goalkeepers: Jasper Cillessen (Ajax), Tim Krul (Newcastle), Michel Vorm (Swansea)
    Defenders: Daley Blind (Ajax), Daryl Janmaat (Feyenoord), Terence Kongolo (Feyenoord), Bruno Martins Indi (Feyenoord), Joel Veltman (Ajax), Paul Verhaegh (Augsburg), Ron Vlaar (Aston Villa), Stefan de Vrij (Feyenoord)
    Midfielders: Jordy Clasie (Feyenoord), Leroy Fer (Norwich), Jonathan De Guzman (Swansea), Nigel de Jong (AC Milan), Wesley Sneijder (Galatasaray), Georginio Wijnaldum (PSV Eindhoven)
    Forwards: Memphis Depay (PSV), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04), Dirk Kuijt (Fenerbahce), Jeremain Lens (Dynamo Kiev), Robin van Persie (Manchester United), Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich).

* Squad lists are only official once they have been confirmed and published by FIFA on 5 June at 12:00 CET.

Uploads

Netherlands edge Ghana, Akaminko injured

Robin van Persie's early goal earned the Netherlands a 1-0 victory in their international friendly against fellow FIFA World Cupô finalists Ghana in Rotterdam.

The Manchester United striker slotted home the only goal of the game after just six minutes when he was left with a simple finish after being set up by Wesley Sneijder. The Netherlands missed a number of chances to increase their lead, most notably through Arjen Robben, but they kept Ghana out at the other end to record their first victory since defeating Turkey last October. Since that match the Dutch have drawn with Japan, Colombia and Ecuador, while losing 2-0 to France in Paris.

For Ghana, the defeat will be a disappointment but of more concern for coach Kwesi Appiah was the serious-looking injury suffered by defender Jerry Akaminko, who was carried off on a stretcher late on after appearing to land awkwardly on an ankle. With the start of the World Cup just over a fortnight away, it remains to be seen if the Eskisehirspor player will be able to feature in Brazil.

Dutch coach Louis van Gaal named a strong line-up for their penultimate friendly match before they kick-off their World Cup campaign against Spain on 13 June, and three of his star names combined to open the scoring early on.

Robben sent Sneijder racing into the area and the Galatasaray playmaker cut the ball back as Ghana goalkeeper Adam Kwarasey came out to meet him, giving captain Van Persie an easy tap-in into an empty net.

Robben should have made it 2-0 soon after but contrived to miss a great chance from close range, before the winger saw an effort blocked by Kwarasey. The Bayern Munich man was again denied by Kwarasey just before the break and, continuing the theme, the Ghana custodian parried another Robben shot midway through the second half.

In the closing stages Ghana pushed for an equaliser but the unmarked Andre Ayew headed well over when he might have been better served bringing the ball down, while the same player saw a deflected shot saved by Jasper Cillessen as the match entered stoppage time.

After Akaminko's injury, the Netherlands had a great chance to add a second right at the end but Jeremain Lens fluffed his header from six yards out.

Uploads

Van Gaal: This is a happy camp

Holland coach Louis van Gaal believes he has a happy camp as the FIFA World Cupô draws near - and he intends to keep it that way by winning. The Dutch may have a reputation for attractive football but some of their previous tournament challenges have been undermined by infighting within the squad.

Van Gaal experienced such disharmony himself during his first unsuccessful stint as national boss, when Holland failed to qualify for the 2002 World Cup. The 62-year-old is not sensing any problems this time round as his squad prepare to fly to Brazil on Thursday and he feels he has a duty to make sure that remains the case.

Van Gaal, who will take over as Manchester United manager after the FIFA World Cupô, said: "It's also dependent on the management, it is not only the players. I think it is about the relationship between a manager and his squad.

"In my first episode there was that (disruption) but I have understood now. They like me now. I feel there are no problems. We have a very good relationship. But it is also dependent on the results."

Holland host Wales at the Amsterdam Arena on Wednesday in their final friendly before travelling to South America.They face champions Spain in a repeat of the 2010 final in their opening match in Salvador on June 13 before facing Australia and Chile in their other Group B games.

Van Gaal knows well how Spain will approach the game having nurtured some of their all-conquering talents in one of his previous roles at Barcelona.

He said: "I'm proud not only of Xavi and (Andres) Iniesta, but also (Carles) Puyol and (Victor) Valdes who are injured and not playing against us. I'm proud, but we can resist against these creative midfielders - although it shall be difficult."

Thousands of fans turned up to see Van Gaal put his players through their paces in a public training session at AZ Alkmaar's AFAS Stadium on Tuesday. Van Gaal is expected to stick to the side that beat Ghana last weekend to face Wales, with the exception of one change enforced by injury to Jonathan de Guzman.

The midfielder, who has spent the last two seasons on loan at Swansea from Villarreal, suffered a hamstring injury in training earlier this week but Van Gaal is hopeful he will be fit for the World Cup.

Uploads

Van Gaal: Van Persie will be at full speed

Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal expects Robin van Persie to hit peak fitness for the start of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™.

Manchester United striker Van Persie is hoping to get back to his best in Brazil after a frustrating and injury-hit season at Old Trafford. The 30-year-old has scored in friendlies against Ecuador and Ghana in recent weeks as he steps up his recovery from a knee problem.

Van Persie missed six weeks of action towards the end of United's campaign, returning only for their last three Premier League games. He had been troubled by thigh problems earlier in the season. Van Gaal kept a close eye on Van Persie's most recent rehabilitation having been given permission by United - the club that would later appoint him as manager - to bring him to a training base in Holland.

The 62-year-old, who will link up with Van Persie full time at United next season, said: "He is not 100 per cent, but we have two weeks to go. I think he will be 100 per cent. He is coming out of injury but we built him already up in our federation, our medical department.

"It was under the permission of David Moyes. So we could control him, he has worked very hard. Then he played two matches of 20 or 30 minutes and the last match 70 minutes. We did not expect that as the injury was bad."

Van Persie is likely to be given another run-out as Holland take on Wales in Amsterdam on Wednesday in their final friendly before flying to Brazil. The Dutch then begin their World Cup campaign against holders Spain in a repeat of the 2010 final in Salvador on 13 June. They face Australia and Chile in their other Group B games.

Squad focus
    Holland have finished runners-up three times at the World Cup and Van Gaal feels that past record perhaps places unrealistic expectations on his current squad. He said: "The purpose is to win the World Cup and the purpose of the board is the semi-finals. I think it's a big purpose - the purpose is maybe too big an expectation. I think this team can beat all, but we can also lose. That's sport and we accept that but it's difficult for the Dutch people to accept."

The pressure, however, is not something that bothers veteran Van Gaal, who has a proven track record of success from his club career with Ajax, Barcelona, AZ Alkmaar and Bayern Munich. He said: "You do not know Louis Van Gaal! I give myself more pressure than anyone else. I will always win."

Van Gaal's future beyond the World Cup was the subject of considerable speculation before his appointment as Moyes's successor at United was confirmed last month.

Ideally the manager would now like those members of his Holland squad who also have decisions to make over their futures to do so before the action begins in Brazil. Swansea goalkeeper Michel Vorm is maybe one such player having been linked with Liverpool.

Van Gaal, however, is issuing no ultimatums over the matter. He said: "It is always better (to have it resolved), but it is not like that, it is the world of football. It is always in the process.

"As well as Michel Vorm we have another five players who are negotiating with other clubs. That is football. You cannot delete it. You have to manage it."

Uploads

Vlaar: We can achieve something

Netherlands defender Ron Vlaar is convinced the Dutch can mount a strong challenge at the FIFA World Cupô.

The 2010 runners-up face a tough challenge in Brazil having been paired with champions Spain, Chile and Australia in Group B. Louis van Gaal's men have also looked laboured in their three warm-up friendlies, the latest of which was a lacklustre 2-0 win over under-strength Wales in Amsterdam on Wednesday.

Much relies on the vaunted attacking trio of Robin van Persie, Arjen Robben and Wesley Sneijder, with critics feeling the defence is the team's weak link.

But Vlaar said: "We know that. We work hard to get better as a team and we also know we have our best players up front. But if you look at all the games we played during qualification and friendlies we didn't concede many goals.

You have to believe otherwise you shouldn't go."So we have to give confidence to our forwards to accelerate and make a difference for us. You play every game to win. You have to be realistic but I really believe we can achieve something. I look forward to it and I cannot wait."

Van Gaal claimed earlier this week that there is an expectation on his side to at least reach the semi-finals. He suggested that might be unrealistic, but did add that his team are capable of winning the tournament if at their best.

Vlaar, 29, said: "You have to believe otherwise you shouldn't go."

Uploads

Robben: Proud of 2010, excited by 2014

Few would blame Arjen Robben if he spent the next couple of days sifting through painful memories. The last sight the Netherlands winger took in at a FIFA World Cupô was, after all, of Friday's opponents, Spain, lifting the Trophy he so coveted.
    It was, though, another recollection - of being foiled in a key one-on-one with Iker Casillas midway through the second half - that tormented Robben most over the days and months that followed. "I think about it a lot," he conceded in the tournament's aftermath. "It hurts to miss such a chance." Yet it was a buoyant rather than regretful player who spoke to FIFA.com ahead of the Salvador rematch with La Roja. Much of 30-year-old's relaxed, positive demeanour could be attributed to his personal fortunes since his joyless night in Johannesburg, with Robben having conquered Europe and the world with Bayern Munich, scoring the winner in a UEFA Champions League final in which he was named Man of the Match.

Yet the 30-year-old's contentment seemed to owe as much to the young Dutch players alongside him in Brazil, the system they have adopted and, crucially, the man at the helm. Such is his mood that he was even able to reflect on 2010 with pride rather than remorse, and even to highlight it as his favourite World Cup of all. "I feel very good at the moment, both physically and mentally," he said. "A World Cup is always something special and I am very excited to be in Brazil for this one. I have special memories about every World Cup I have watched or played in, but South Africa was a really great tournament for me. It was obviously a big disappointment we lost the Final, but I am still really proud of what we all achieved together at that tournament."

It is, however, a new team under a new coach that will be attempting to emulate or surpass that momentous achievement. Robben, in fact, is one of just seven veterans of that 2010 campaign to have made the Netherlands' squad - Spain, by contrast, have retained 16 - and while Vicente Del Bosque still rules the Roja roost, the Dutch now answer to Louis van Gaal. The change at the top is, though, seen as a positive by a player who has thrived for both club and country under the Manchester United-bound tactician. "I worked with him at Bayern Munich before he took this job, so he has been very important to my career," Robben said of Van Gaal. "Along with [Pep] Guardiola, I can say he is the best coach I ever had."

One of Van Gaal's most important, and controversial, decisions in the build-up to the World Cup has been the changing of Netherlands' traditional 4-3-3 formation in favour of 5-3-2. Robben, however, was consulted on the tactical change along with the Oranje's other key man, Robin van Persie, and has no regrets about offering his wholehearted support. "We have played three matches with the new formation," he explained, "and none of our opponents - Ecuador, Wales and Ghana - created a lot of chances, whereas we did. I'm really confident that this is the best way for us to play in at the moment." Assured and evidently at ease with the team's direction under Van Gaal, Robben is nonetheless realistic about their pre-tournament prospects. The bookmakers' odds reflect the Netherlands' status as outsiders, and having been grouped with Spain, Australia and a much-admired Chile side, there are even questions about whether they will survive to see the Round of 16. But while Robben understands these doubts, he believes that those who perceive his team's youth to be a disadvantage could yet be in for a surprise.

"We have a young team, but it is talented," he said. "Experience is important, especially mentally. But on the pitch it is all about playing in the right way, doing what you have to do - and it doesnít matter if you are 22 or 32. You just have to do what is asked for. "That said, in my opinion Brazil, Argentina, Spain and Germany are the favourites. It will be hard for us because we have to play a very tough group. Spain are the reigning world and European Champions, and two teams from Spain played this season's Champions League final. That says it all. Chile also have a very strong team with really good players who want to play in an attacking way. And Australia are physically strong. We have played a few matches against them and were never able to win.

"But our preparations have been going well so far. I'm really happy we are in Brazil now. You can feel the tournament is about to start. Brazil is one of the greatest football countries in the world - maybe the greatest - so it is fantastic the World Cup has been organised here. I hope and expect that this will be a unique event for the Brazilian people and for everyone watching at home." And if it ends having created happy Dutch memories, all the better.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast