Viacom: TV everywhere boosts linear TV consumption
Michelle Clancy
| 23 May 2014
Adding to the debate about whether online video options supplant or complement the linear viewing experience, a study from Viacom shows that TV everywhere is actually additive to TV viewing.

Since respondents began using TV everywhere apps and sites, 64% report watching more TV overall. This finding is even stronger among millennials, with 72% watching more TV.

The study, dubbed TV Here, There, (Not Quite) Everywhere, revealed an increase in overall TV viewing among TV everywhere users, as well as greater customer loyalty towards pay TV providers and networks that offer TV everywhere services.

"While still nascent in terms of awareness and usage, TV everywhere presents a huge opportunity for brands to grow and strengthen their relationships with fans," said Colleen Fahey Rush, executive vice president and chief research officer at Viacom Media Networks. "This research provides valuable insights into developing the best TVE experiences for our audiences who want to engage with their favourite content beyond the television screen."

For those using TV everywhere, the television is still the go-to source for TV shows and watching live. After live TV, TVE apps and sites are a strong alternative, rivalling video-on-demand (VOD), DVR and other sites that don't require authentication with a pay-TV provider, such as subscription streaming services or other free sites.

"Apps encourage watching live TV," said Antonia, a 15-year-old TVE user. "I started watching this show on my computer and liked it, so now I watch it if it's on TV."

The study also found that TV everywhere increases the value of pay-TV subscriptions while strengthening loyalty to pay-TV providers and relationships with networks. A full 98% of users say TVE adds value to their pay-TV subscription, with 67% saying it adds "a lot" of value. And, the vast majority (93%) is more likely to stay with their provider due to TVE.

About 68% said that they have a more favourable impression of networks that offer TVE experiences.