TWC's Mike LaJoie announces retirement
Michelle Clancy
| 18 June 2014
Mike LaJoie, Time Warner Cable's executive vice president and chief technology and network operations officer, has announced that he will retire at the end of the year.

"As many of you know, I have been planning for quite some time to retire at the end of this year, after 21 years with TWC and following my 60th birthday," LaJoie wrote in a memo to colleagues, reported by Multichannel News. "Recent events have made this decision more complicated, but after careful consideration, I intend to stay with that plan."

He was of course referring the death of former TWC CEO Glenn Britt, who died of cancer on Wednesday (11 June). "Thus, it is with mixed emotions that I am announcing my retirement, effective 31 December," LaJoie noted.

His focus will initially be an "orderly transition of my [technology and network operations] (TechNO) operating responsibilities". Specifically, he will retain oversight of TechNO through the end of June, and of TechNO development through the end of the third quarter. He said that Hamid Heidary, previously the CTO of NTL and Insight Communications, has agreed to lead the TWC TechNO team as a consultant as LaJoie begins to transition his role.

But, starting in October, he plans to "focus solely on the Comcast merger".

LaJoie began his TWC career in 1994, when he was hired as vice president of software development in the Time Warner Interactive GroupHe went on to hold a range of positions in the technology unit, becoming EVP and CTO in January 2004

"It is hard to imagine where we would be today without Mike at the helm of our technology and network operations function. He is a true icon in this industry," said Dinni Jain, TWC's COO, said in a statement.

The news comes just days after former CEO and chairman Glenn Britt passed away from cancer at the age of 65.

"Sadly, discussing my career with TWC without mentioning my dear friend, Glenn Britt, would be somehow incomplete. Glenn believed in me and was a great mentor for 20 years, and my thoughts are with his wife, Barbara, at this time," LaJoie wrote in the memo.