Thread: Belgium - Russia 1:0 (0:0)

Uploads

Belgium - Russia 1:0 (0:0)

Date Venue / Stadium Time Attendance
    22 June 2014 Rio De Janeiro /Maracanã - Estádio Jornalista Mário Filho 13:00 73819
    Match Officials

FIFA General Coordinator

BAFFOE Anthony (GHA)
    Did not play in Match
    NICHOLAS Tai (NZL)
    Fifth Official
    ROMERO Byron (ECU)
    Referee
    BRYCH Felix (GER)
    Assistant Referee 1
    BORSCH Mark (GER)
    Assistant Referee 2
    LUPP Stefan (GER)
    Fourth Official
    VERA Carlos (ECU)

Total Goals scored

Divock ORIGI (BEL) 88'

Belgium

Russia
    COURTOIS (GK)
    AKINFEEV (GK)
    ALDERWEIRELD
    KOZLOV (-62')
    VERMAELEN (-31')
    IGNASHEVICH
    KOMPANY (C)
    KANUNNIKOV
    WITSEL
    GLUSHAKOV
    DE BRUYNE
    KOKORIN
    FELLAINI
    V. BEREZUTSKIY (C)
    LUKAKU (-57')
    SHATOV (-83')
    E.HAZARD
    SAMEDOV (-90')
    MERTENS (-75')
    FAYZULIN
    VAN BUYTEN
    D. KOMBAROV
    Substitutes Substitutes
    MIGNOLET (GK)
    LODYGIN (GK)
    BOSSUT (GK)
    RYZHIKOV (GK)
    VERTONGHEN (+31')
    SHCHENNIKOV
    MIRALLAS (+75')
    SEMENOV
    DEFOUR
    DENISOV
    ORIGI (+57')
    DZAGOEV (+83')
    LOMBAERTS
    KERZHAKOV (+90')
    DEMBELE
    GRANAT
    JANUZAJ
    MOGILEVETC
    VANDEN BORRE
    ZHIRKOV
    CHADLI
    IONOV
    CIMAN
    ESHCHENKO (+62')
    Coach Coach
    WILMOTS Marc (BEL) CAPELLO Fabio (ITA)

Cautions

Denis GLUSHAKOV (RUS) 38' , Axel WITSEL (BEL) 54' , Toby ALDERWEIRELD (BEL) 73'

a.e.t.: After extra time (C): Captain PSO: Penalty Shoot-out
    GK: Goalkeeper N: Not eligible to play I: Injured
    Y: Misses next match if booked Pos: Positions A: Absent

Uploads

Decisive Origi blasts Belgium through

Belgium ensured a berth in the Round of 16 at the FIFA World Cup™ with a last-gasp 1-0 victory over Russia in Rio de Janeiro courtesy of another substitute goal, this time from Divock Origi. With 120 seconds remaining of a Group H encounter that had largely failed to spark in front of an expectant home crowd, the 19-year-old combined with Eden Hazard, who raced to the by-line and pulled back for his younger colleague to thrash into the roof of the net.

Having both risen from the substitutes’ bench to inspire a 2-1 comeback victory over Algeria in their opener, Belgium coach Marc Wilmots welcomed Marouane Fellaini and Dries Mertens into his XI. Thomas Vermaelen took up residence in defence but was later forced off with injury. For his part, Fabio Capello made two changes, keeping faith with goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev. Belgium’s innate commitment to attack was evident during the opening exchanges at the Maracana, although the subsequent space conceded in defence afforded Victor Fayzulin a chance to clip a long-range drive accurately at goal. Thibaut Courtois punched away safely.

In response, the Red Devils launched a continual siege along the right flank. First, Kevin De Bruyne scampered forward and released Mertens, but the latter’s stroke into the centre was cleared before Romelu Lukaku could pounce. Napoli wide-man Mertens then created two opportunities out of individual clever play but sent each off target. Akinfeev was made to work ten minutes before half-time, however. Exactly the same approach brought freedom for the effervescent Mertens, although his shot across the face of goal was parried away cleanly and sufficiently by the experienced CSKA Moscow custodian.

For all of the Belgians’ territorial dominance, Capello’s charges should have entered the break ahead; a sweeping delivery from the left by Denis Glushakov found Alexander Kokorin, who somehow contrived to glance a header wide after expertly moving into space in a central position inside the penalty area. There was a slow pace to proceedings in Rio when the action resumed for the second half, prompting Wilmots to introduce Origi in place of Lukaku, yet the organisation and structure of Russia’s defence thwarted all movement forward. When Hazard collected possession and shimmied around his marker, he merely found another opponent in the way of his blast.

The same fate befell Origi with little over ten minutes remaining before, as in the opening period, Russia wasted an invitation – a timely Andrey Eshchenko run latched onto a smart pass to the flank, but the No22’s hit carried wide. Kevin Mirallas directed a low free-kick onto the left post but Origi struck hard and true in the 88th minute to secure all three points and qualification.

Uploads

Belgium-Russia: Quotes

Marc Wilmots, Belgium coach
    It was a tough match against a well-prepared Russian side. My substitutions worked out well, as Kevin Mirallas proved when he hit the post. I took some risks in an attempt to win the game, and they paid off. Again, we’ve pulled a win out of the bag. But we’ve played two matches and earned six points, so we’ve accomplished our initial objective. I don’t know yet how we’re going to approach the third match. I’m going to talk about it with the players and then make a decision. The squad as a whole is more important than the starting line-up. Everybody’s pulling in the same direction. We’re going to need all of our players. The Belgian public can feel proud of their team. We’ve still got a lot of ambition.

Eden Hazard, Budweiser Man of the Match
    We didn’t play well, apart from the last ten minutes. The subs brought a bit of freshness, but perhaps the Russian defence was also pretty tired by then. Personally speaking, I feel good. I’ve been trying to make a difference, and often I end up doing that at the end of matches – that proves that I feel fresh.

Fabio Capello, Russia coach
    I still believe we have a chance, but we now have no choice but to beat Algeria. Today we went out to win the match, but we got caught on the counter-attack – it’s as simple as that. I brought on Alan Dzagoev because I thought we were going to win, as we had been creating some dangerous opportunities. The important thing for us – in what is our first FIFA World Cup for 12 years – is learning about the level required to compete in these kinds of tournaments.