Thread: Korea Republic - Algeria 2:4 (0:3)

Uploads

Korea Republic - Algeria 2:4 (0:3)

Date Venue / Stadium Time Attendance
    22 June 2014 Porto Alegre /Estadio Beira-Rio 16:00 42732
    Match Officials

FIFA General Coordinator
    PUCCI Stefano (ITA)
    Did not play in Match
    CHIRIBOGA Luis (ECU)
    Fifth Official
    KAMRANIFAR Hassan (IRN)
    Referee
    ROLDAN Wilmar (COL)
    Assistant Referee 1
    DIAZ Eduardo (COL)
    Assistant Referee 2
    LESCANO Christian (ECU)
    Fourth Official
    FAGHANI Alireza (IRN)

Total Goals scored

Islam SLIMANI (ALG) 26' , Rafik HALLICHE (ALG) 28' , Abdelmoumene DJABOU (ALG) 38' , SON Heungmin (KOR) 50' , Yacine BRAHIMI (ALG) 62' , KOO Jacheol (KOR) 72'

Korea Republic

Algeria
    S R JUNG (GK)
    RAIS (GK)
    S Y YUN
    BOUGUERRA (C) (-89')
    Y G KIM
    HALLICHE
    H M SON
    MESBAH
    C Y PARK (-57')
    FEGHOULI
    Y LEE
    BRAHIMI (-77')
    J C KOO (C)
    MEDJANI
    K Y HAN (-78')
    SLIMANI
    S Y KI
    BENTALEB
    C Y LEE (-64')
    DJABOU (-73')
    J H HONG
    MANDI
    Substitutes Substitutes
    S G KIM (GK)
    SI MOHAMMED (GK)
    B Y LEE (GK)
    ZEMMAMOUCHE (GK)
    C S KIM
    GHOULAM
    T H KWAK
    BELKALEM (+89')
    S H HWANG
    YEBDA
    B K KIM
    LACEN (+77')
    D S HA
    GHILAS (+73')
    K H LEE (+64')
    SOUDANI
    J W PARK
    CADAMURO
    S W KIM (+57')
    TAIDER
    D W JI (+78')
    MAHREZ
    J H PARK
    MOSTEFA
    Coach Coach
    HONG Myungbo (KOR) HALILHODZIC Vahid (BIH)

Cautions

LEE Yong (KOR) 54' , Madjid BOUGUERRA (ALG) 67' , HAN Kookyoung (KOR) 69'

a.e.t.: After extra time (C): Captain PSO: Penalty Shoot-out
    GK: Goalkeeper N: Not eligible to play I: Injured
    Y: Misses next match if booked Pos: Positions A: Absent

Uploads

Koreans crushed by impressive Algeria

Algeria have moved up to second in Group H with a convincing 4-2 win over Korea Republic at Porto Alegre's Estadio Beira-Rio. The Taeguk Warriors were blown away in a first half that ended with their north African opponents three goals to the good, and not even a much-improved second-half showing could prevent Hong Myungbo's team slumping to a damaging defeat. There had been plenty of raised eyebrows pre-match at the decision by Algeria coach Vahid Halilhodzic to bench five of the players who had been unlucky to lose 2-1 to Belgium. That shuffling of Les Fennecs pack was quickly justified, though, as they established a firm stranglehold on the match.

The first half, in fact, was as one-sided as any seen at Brazil 2014 thus far, with the tone set after just two minutes when Sofiane Feghouli twisted away from his marker and fired narrowly over from ten yards. Algeria could easily have been 3-0 up inside the opening ten minutes, in fact, with Yacine Brahimi - one of the players promoted to the starting line-up - volleying over and Islam Slimani heading into the side-netting shortly after. Slimani continued to threaten, though, and with 26 minutes played he scored the goal that he and his team so richly deserved, bustling through on to a long ball, holding off two Korean pursuers and dinking a volley over the advancing Jung Sungryoung. The Taeguk Warriors seemed helpless in the face of this Algerian onslaught and two minutes later their deficit was doubled, Rafik Halliche bulleting home Nabil Bentaleb's corner with Jung caught in no man's land.

The surprise scoreline did not flatter the north Africans and nor could Korea Republic complain when their opponents went three up seven minutes before half-time. The ease with which they found the net was a source of embarrassment though, with Abdelmoumene Djabou popping up unmarked 12 yards from goal to sweep home left-footed from Slimani's clever pass. Some harsh words were doubtless uttered at half-time in the South Korean dressing room and, whatever was said, it certainly seemed to have the desired impact. The Asians were certainly a different team altogether after the break and hauled themselves back into contention after just four minutes when Son Heungmin spun away from Madjid Bouguerra and smashed a left-foot shot through the legs of Rais Mbholi.

That goal made everyone wonder whether a comeback could be on, and it might have been had Mbholi not made a superb flying save to tip away Ki Sungyeung's sweetly struck long-range effort on the hour-mark. Just a couple of minutes later, though, the Algerians moved out of sight when Brahimi worked a neat one-two with Slimani before nutmegging the hapless Jung. Halilhodzic's side duly became the first African side to score four times in a single FIFA World Cup match, although their lead was eroded with 18 minutes remaining when Lee Keunho crossed for Koo Jacheol to bundle the ball home from close range. But the South Koreans rarely looked like making it a nervy finale and will now go into their final Group H match needing to beat Belgium to have any chance of making the last 16.

Uploads

Korea Republic-Algeria: Quotes

Vahid Halilhodzic, Algeria coach
    I would like to dedicate this victory to the fans who were here and the Algerian people back home who have waited a long time for this victory. It means a lot to us all.Today the team played to its strengths. I told the players to keep it tight for the first 15 minutes and I felt that did extremely well and effectively in the first half - it was almost perfect. We slowed a little during the second half, why I'm not sure. Now we have to try to get a good result against Russia and qualify for the Round of 16. Anything is possible.

Hong Myungbo, Korea Republic coach
    The result speaks for itself. We made mistakes in our preparation and during the match, but we need to look ahead now. There were lapses in concentration, particularly in defensive areas and we didn’t play to our usual standard. But I must stress, we did not underestimate Algeria. Today their team was completely different than the one that played against Belgium. They played much better today and deserved the win. Now we just need to move on now. We will do our best until the end.

Islam Slimani (ALG), Budweiser Man of the Match
    It's brilliant to score for my team, it's a wonderful feeling. I have to thank the coach for giving me the opportunity and I can say that all of the players gave everything for this win today. It's still our aim to reach the Round of 16, we have a chance and I hope we'll achieve that.

Uploads

Re: Korea Republic - Algeria 2:4 (0:3)

Algeria moved up to second in World Cup Group H as they overcame South Korea in a six-goal thriller in Porto Alegre.
    Islam Slimani ran onto a long ball to flick in the first and a Rafick Halliche header put Algeria 2-0 up.
    Abdelmoumene Djabou sidefooted in a third, before Song Heung-min's low shot pulled one back as South Korea rallied.
    Yacine Brahimi added Algeria's fourth and, despite Koo Ja-cheol scoring a second for Korea, Algeria held on for their first World Cup win since 1982. v Algeria, narrowly beaten by group leaders Belgium in their opening game, knew a second defeat would end their hopes of getting out of the group stage for the first time. They responded in emphatic fashion, becoming the first African team to score four goals in a World Cup game.
    A win for the Desert Foxes against Russia will now secure a last-16 spot, and a draw could be enough if South Korea fail to beat Belgium.
    Algeria coach Vahid Halilhodzic made five changes from the opening defeat by Belgium and his reshuffle had the desired impact.
    Sofiane Feghouli had a strong shout for a penalty turned down when he appeared to have been tripped by Kim Young-gwon before the ball fell for Brahimi to hook over.
    Slimani then found space at the far post only to head wide and also badly mistimed a first-time shot from six yards as he met an inviting cross from Aissa Mandi. But the Portugal-based striker, who was his side's top scorer in qualifying, did not take long to atone as he outpaced two defenders to get to a long Carl Medjani pass and flick the ball past on-rushing keeper Jung Sung-ryong.
    Defender Halliche extended the lead two minutes later with his second goal for his country, a thumping header from an Djabou corner.
    And Djabou turned from provider to goalscorer when Slimani slipped a ball across for him to sidefoot home.South Korea had not managed a shot on target in the first half but pulled a goal back shortly after the break - a mistake from Madjid Bougherra allowing Song to send a shot through the legs of keeper Rais Mbohli.
    It was now Algeria's turn to be penned back and they survived a further scare when Ki Sung-yueng had a long range shot palmed over by Mbohli.
    However, Brahimi restored his side's three-goal advantage when he played a one-two with Feghouli before slotting past Jung.
    But a much-improved South Korea were not finished, and after the Desert Foxes failed to clear their lines, Lee Keun-ho played the ball across the box for Koo to slot in, before a tiring Algeria managed to regroup and close out the win.
    Algeria coach Vahid Halilhodzic:
    "We played an almost perfect first period.
    "We played very well, very effectively and then it went down a little bit - maybe it was psychological, maybe it was physical - we will have to talk about this.
    "But I think that this was a real feat this afternoon and I would like to congratulate my players."
    South Korea coach Hong Myung-bo:
    "In the stadium, there were a lot of Korean fans and I would like to apologise to them.
    "We have one game left and I would just like to promise that we will do our best for the next match."